Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting RoR (Rails)

Options
  • 26-07-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering whether or not you can host Ruby on Rails applications on shared hosting packages. It doesn't seem to be a very popular option with hosting companies and I'm wondering why not. Is there a technical difficulty in doing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most hosting providers don't offer Ruby on Rails on shared hosting for a number of reasons.

If you want to use Ruby On Rails you should get a cloud server where you'll be able to set up things the way you want

Check out: https://cloudstore.blacknight.com/?tab=cloud-vm-fixed-starter-1716

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Thanks for the reply, can you give me just one of those reasons please?

There's several

Most Ruby On Rails developers need shell access - that's not something most shared hosting plans come with these days

The container for Ruby on Rails in many cases doesn't "play nice" with other software, so integrating it sanely is awkward. It's the same sort of issue with Java / JSP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Blacknight wrote: »
    There's several

Most Ruby On Rails developers need shell access - that's not something most shared hosting plans come with these days

The container for Ruby on Rails in many cases doesn't "play nice" with other software, so integrating it sanely is awkward. It's the same sort of issue with Java / JSP

I've heard about the "not playing nice" but can't find any kind of explanation. Thanks for taking the time.

The kind of thing we saw in the past with integrations was that it would "work" but only in a very limited fashion. So if you were just starting out with RoR it was probably "ok", but once you started doing anything even slightly more advanced things went a bit haywire
    One of our more technical staff might be able to give a more detailed explanation, but hopefully you get the idea

Now if you get a cloud server you can set it up however you want and do pretty much anything you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement