Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How proficient should you be before adding to your CV?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

I just have a small question regarding my CV after I finish college. I've been learning C for the past while now and I've become fairly decent(my own opinion) in using the language. Pointers and linked lists are fairly easy to use and I've been building a few programs for hobbys and projects I'm working on.

So if I add that I can code in C on my CV what level of expertise would be required in an interview or job situation? I know its a 'how long is a piece of string' question but if anyone can give me an answer, or even an example of an interview question you've faced I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ManannanMacLir

I recently adopted the approach of listing languages on my CV in as proficient, familiar and also a currently learning section e.g. something to the effect
    Proficient: Matlab, VHDL ....
    Familiar: C++, C, Java.... 
    Currently Learning: Ruby....

I initially hesitated including the 'Currently Learning' part but on reflection I think it allows me to highlight I am interested in the area and constantly seeking to improve my skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd say it's less about proficiency and more about confidence. If you're confident you can handle a C question, even if the answer you give is "I don't know how to do that", then you could consider adding it - particularly if it's a skill you want to learn further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

It's more about the position you're applying for. I've seen some senior dev roles where you're also taking responsibility for contractors they get in outside if the core areas they do day-to-day. So even a basic understanding of a number of secondary languages could be a plus point over someone else applying for the job. That's a far cry from applying for a role as a C developer though :)

I'd say put it down, buy whatever way you phrase it make it clear that you're beginner/intermediate proficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Im a long way off senior development. Im doing electrical engineering so its more for microcontrollers.

Ill put it down. Better to have it that not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you've written C for microcontrollers, I would put that down specifically.

I have years of experience with C and I while I know the language and have written and maintained applications in it, there's a load of stuff where C is the language of choice where I wouldn't have a clue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement