Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just about to build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

How can we help you if you're about to start building? Everything looks fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 matthewS.

never built a pc before, so a little worried I'll have a plume of smoke due to a missing flux capacitor or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You may be short a SATA cable (one needed for each hard drive and the dvd drive), I know 2 come with that board. Otherwise looks fine.

Remember to test your build before you put it in the case (with just mobo, ram, cpu, cooler, psu and gpu).

I think two SATA3 come with the board. I guess any one will do for the DVD.
    How about power for SATA does that all come with the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

matthewS. wrote: »
    never built a pc before, so a little worried I'll have a plume of smoke due to a missing flux capacitor or something.

Pretty easy. Build your core system (mobo/CPU/CPU cooler/GPU/RAM outside the case if you want to test it before putting it into the case. When building the case get the PSU in first for better cable management, make sure the standoffs match the holes in your motherboard. Connections should be an 8 pin CPU power at the top of the mobo, 20/24 pin mobo power, CPU Fan header for cooler, and the usual front panel/SATA connections too.

• Advertisement

Remember to test your build before you put it in the case (with just mobo, ram, cpu, cooler, psu and gpu).

Didn't think of this, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

How about power for SATA does that all come with the PSU?

Yes, there should be several sata power connectors on your psu.

Its a good idea to follow this as you go. (There may be a newer version of that video but cant check right now in work)

So everything went grand and I'm up and running.

the only problem I had was with the case LED connector. Two wires one red and one white. The red is crimped to the plastic case fine, the white is just a bare wire. I presume this is not correct. I'm not to worried, I can live without an LED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

So everything went grand and I'm up and running.

the only problem I had was with the case LED connector. Two wires one red and one white. The red is crimped to the plastic case fine, the white is just a bare wire. I presume this is not correct. I'm not to worried, I can live without an LED

Nope it most certainly is not :) Many congrats on the build!

Thanks. I'm gonna hold back on the notion of supergluing the wire to the pin :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

could solder it... probably not good for the resale value of the bits though.

Actually get them to send you out a bit of wire with a clip attached then join the two bits of wire together and apply a little insulation tape.

That's not a bad idea actually

was thinking while I could still return (confirmed with amazon) the HD 6870 and get a n HD 7850, something like - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-DirectCU-Graphics-Express-4840MHz/dp/B007OYS4R6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344532805&sr=8-2

except for work i'll eventually attach two Sun 22-Inch Widescreen LCD's which use Digital DVD-D. Which I believe is possible with my current card. But not with an upgrade. Any advice?

Advertisement