Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie to photos

• 26-07-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Decided to pick up a nikon today.

I know there is plenty of tips and everything but what would be the main thing each of you would tell a brand new person to photography?

Also here are the only 3 pictures i took this morning when I got the camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83461031@N04/with/7649235822/#photo_7649235822

Thanks for all the help in advance guys and girls! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

...well, my first advice would be read the manual, experiment, play with the settings and be patient.... it takes a while before everything falls into place (or I might have been a total exception :)).
    Oh, and reading the so-many-times-mentioned 'Understanding Exposure' helped a lot too... Happy shooting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd say learn what each element of the 'exposure triangle' does, how it affects the image, and how they affect each other. It does take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Here's an oldie worth a mooch through (with a bit of a fun side to it too). Enjoy (and beware of any curved ball(s) that maybe in there)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CraigSmith

Wow theres some great tips on that link !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Here's an oldie worth a mooch through (with a bit of a fun side to it too). Enjoy (and beware of any curved ball(s) that maybe in there)

Thank's very much for this - great link! Now to get out of work and start trying some of these tips! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you embed your images into threads then you can get C&C on them which is a great way to learn.

Instructions are given in the OP of each Random Photo thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If you can imagine yourself say 5 years down the line, and you've learned all about how to use the camera, what sort of photos would you like to be taking?

Are you looking at a particular kind of photography at the moment, hoping to learn how to do that? Or do you just want to be 'good'? If that's what you're thinking, try to narrow it down a bit. You can't judge how well you're succeeding, if you don't know what your target is.

Having said that, it's a good idea to get the technicalities down first and learn how to control the camera so that you can make decisions about which settings to use, based on the effect you want it to have. That relationship between "I change this >>> this happens to the photo" is the single most important thing to learn, in the sense of finding out how to create photos. But having a strong idea of what you want to create, that's what will drive you to make your own photos and not just be doing 'photography by numbers'.

Have fun, and good luck :D

Advertisement