Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into IT later in Life?

• 26-07-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Allo all.

Am content in my current work, family business, doing very well. Problem is there is a ****-ton of feuding going on between my brothers and i am slowly but surely losing interest.

I have always had a strong interest in computers and would consider a career in IT. I've been an avid gamer all my life, and getting in 3D animation/games programming would be right up my alley.

I have next to no experience with networks/programming etc, and by the time i started a degree program and graduated, i'd be 31. Then with the obligatory 5ish years at junior level, i'd be 35 before i started to move up pay-scales.

Is this too late to start? What could my prospects be at this age? Or would i be looked over in favour of the 20-something year olds?

I've started doing some evening courses in programming/networking and a friend has me experimenting with python, Java, etc, but I'm just a little afraid I've left a move to late.

Just gathering info at the minute, so thanks for any and all replies.

CC.

TL;DR: To get started in IT is 31/32 (graduated) too old?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Swap with bad panda! :D

I is genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Can you tell people to restart their computers?

If so, then a career in IT support is definitely achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Just stay away from this god awful Java shoite and you'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Pick a sector in IT and get on with it... simples... less sitting about more doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Later in life?

You are in your twenties!

I saw the thread title and was expecting someone in their fifties

That's a negative way of looking at it OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Sky King wrote: »
    Can you tell people to restart their computers?

If so, then a career in IT support is definitely achievable.

"Can you check if the monitor is powered on?"

Nooooo thank you, no tech support role thanks.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Later in life?

Twenties now, thirties by the time i graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

eth0 wrote: »
    What's wrong with learning Java as a starting point ? OP, there's no issue with pursuing a career in IT even if you will be in your thirties when you start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ffs thought this was a thread about getting your hole when you're an ould fella :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

kfallon wrote: »
    Ffs thought this was a thread about getting your hole when you're an ould fella :rolleyes:

Haha into IT....I get it ;)

I get that too! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if you are considering going into software development i would recommend doing some research into it. it's very different to what most think of it. it is also very difficult to get into the gaming side. if you are still interested then computer applications is the course i am doing in dcu and it is pretty good and covers and awful lot(if you can get past the 4000 a year registration fees).
    regarding the age thing, although i am younger than you, i wouldn't consider it an issue tbh. If thats what you want to do go ahead and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Later in life?

I agree with this, what is it with so many Irish acting like they're one foot in the grave from their mid twenties onwards? You're still a baby ffs and I say that as a 28 year old myself. Plenty of time to do whatever you want and firmly tell anyone who gives you that "you're too old" ****e a hearty **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

The age is irrelevant. Can you afford to get by on a junior salary for a few years? If so, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

eth0 wrote: »

Yeah OP, stick to x86 Assembly. Much easier to understand.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

games dev will almost definitely have you leaving the country to get a job, not only that but the games industry is notorious for paying people less for the same role in different industries.

Just to be aware, games is not where the money is until you hit very close to the top.

Also, games programming these days is bastard hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Yeah OP, stick to x86 Assembly. Much easier to understand.

:pac:

screw that, haskell is where it's at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Programming and IT are two different things. Also consider do you want to do it or do you just like the idea of doing it. I'd recommend downloading a GUI based Games maker like Construct2 and trying to finish a small game. Seeing if your able to complete a small project or not should give you some sort of idea if you want to actually pursue it.

Also if you do go into programming it doesn't really matter what language you start with as long as it's OOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Then with the obligatory 5ish years at junior level, i'd be 35 before i started to move up pay-scales.

What would the pay be for first 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Im starting an IT degree,im 61 years of age and i still feel like im 55

megaten wrote: »
    Programming and IT are two different things. Also consider do you want to do it or do you just like the idea of doing it. I'd recommend downloading a GUI based Games maker like Construct2 and trying to finish a small game. Seeing if your able to complete a small project or not should give you some sort of idea if you want to actually pursue it.

Also if you do go into programming it doesn't really matter what language you start with as long as it's OOP.

Looks really cool, will look into that tonight.

If i were ever to get into games design, it would be on the indie side.

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    What's wrong with learning Java as a starting point ? OP, there's no issue with pursuing a career in IT even if you will be in your thirties when you start.

Ok, well i don't really know what employers in the IT side are like, so its good to hear that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    What would the pay be for first 5 years?

30 - 40k. With 5 years experience you could end up on 70k+

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just to be aware, games is not where the money is until you hit very close to the top.

Also, games programming these days is bastard hard

Interesting. I'd imagine games would be "kill-me-now" difficult, but if there's anything i learned from my current/previous work, when i'm idle i'm useless. When i'm busy, under pressure from a zillion things to do right fooking now, i thrive. High pressure is no problem, or did you mean complexity?

Cina wrote: »
    Field dependant !!! 5 years exp perhaps as a full cisco engineer ok, perhaps even as a free lance engineer. but as a Desktop engineer you'll max out at around 30K

Game programming is virtually non existent these days. It's basically a case of building an engine and then using it for an extended period of time, making the odd tweak here and there.

For every programmer at a game company there are around ten designers. It's a rubbish job for IT.

Field dependant !!! 5 years exp perhaps as a full cisco engineer ok, perhaps even as a free lance engineer. but as a Desktop engineer you'll max out at around 30K

Say what? I started on 32k as a graduate software developer, minus the perks.

Interesting. I'd imagine games would be "kill-me-now" difficult, but if there's anything i learned from my current/previous work, when i'm idle i'm useless. When i'm busy, under pressure from a zillion things to do right fooking now, i thrive. High pressure is no problem, or did you mean complexity?

unfortunately games programming really isn't compensated as it should be. few enough industries evolve as rapidly as games do, new hardware every few years, constant innovations to make use of. And to honest, games are complex enough to build. In saying that, you can probably be sure you won't get put on a game engine as your first project but be aware to get to a higher salary you'll pretty much be learning for the rest of your days.

Oh and the "crunch" as well. but if you are as you say, thriving on demands, the crunch probably won't bother you too much.

again, you would be working at least two years in a games company to hit this number :(

I did games dev in college but before I could get myself in a company to work my way up, I became a dad and had to take the first job I could. To take the same role I have now in games would be close to halving my salary

Son what did i just say above in my post !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

FatherLen wrote: »
    screw that, haskell is where it's at!

Urgh.

Urrrrrrrgh.

Son what did i just say above in my post !!!

I have no idea what a 'desktop engineer' is, but testers and consultants generally get the same amount of money too. I've no idea where you're working but it sure as hell ain't the IT industry in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say you could get into the IT industry without necessarily learning to program. Programming boring as **** if your not into it. You have business experience so you could easily get some IT related management courses so that you can boss around programmers and see all the cool stuff.

IT is an industry and there's so much more to it than just programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Swap with bad panda! :D

I is genius

Fcuk yeah!

I'll just keep my earphones in when voices are raised. And I'll bring everyone together over a nice cup of tea and a slice o' cake of a Friday!

What better way to bring us together!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

You're never too old to start doing something new in your life. I changed my career only a few years back and haven't looked back since. I learned how to play the guitar at 37. Don't be afraid of a challenge, and don't fear the future, the future is best laid in our own hands, because after all, we do (hopefully) have some control over it. Just to take the right direction is all.

I have no idea what a 'desktop engineer' is, but testers and consultants generally get the same amount of money too. I've no idea where you're working but it sure as hell ain't the IT industry in Ireland.

/discussion

• Advertisement

/discussion

Ok, I'll try be sensible about this. At no point until you came along were the words 'desktop engineer' mentioned in this thread. I had replied stating an answer to someone who was interested in working in IT. I work in IT, I've worked in IT for 5 years in 3 jobs with a lot of people with a lot of different levels of experience in lots of different areas, not just programming or development.

Therefore, I think I have a good enough grasp of the subject at hand to offer an accurate answer about salaries. I'll take your word for it that a 'desktop engineer' makes less money than most do, but you're in the minority. I gave a response stating what the average person is on in IT. You decided to quote me and mention a very specific branch of IT (I assume it's IT anyway) that seems to earn less, sorry about that.

Personally I prefer to abstain from '/discussion' or other nonsense and give proper responses because I'm coherent in English and know how to use a full keyboard.

Ok, I'll try be sensible about this. At no point until you came along were the words 'desktop engineer' mentioned in this thread. I had replied stating an answer to someone who was interested in working in IT. I work in IT, I've worked in IT for 5 years in 3 jobs with a lot of people with a lot of different levels of experience in lots of different areas, not just programming or development.

Therefore, I think I have a good enough grasp of the subject at hand to offer an accurate answer about salaries. I'll take your word for it that a 'desktop engineer' makes less money than most do, but you're in the minority. I gave a response stating what the average person is on in IT. You decided to quote me and mention a very specific branch of IT (I assume it's IT anyway) that seems to earn less, sorry about that.

Personally I prefer to abstain from '/discussion' or other nonsense and give proper responses because I'm coherent in English and know how to use a full keyboard.

Welcome to After hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The games industry and indeed many of the creative careers, seems very like "sweat shop" jobs. They burn through people who are willing to work long hours for very little, and work lots of weekends, because they want to get into these industries. Then when theses people want to move up to better hours and pay they find they can't because they've set the norm as working these mad hours for not enough money. You reap what you sow.

If you want to avoid all that, get a degree (even by night) and stick to getting a skill set and qualification that pays decent money for normal hours and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OP, start learning to program now... Get yourself qualified and get a job, never too late... Get involved with the indie scene and you may get lucky with that side of things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most graduates know nothing useful when they come out of college. They basically have to be trained how to do the jobs.
    IT is a complete industry and covers most other industries. Currently work on investment management but worked, insurance, retail, pensions etc.
    They all have IT. Games is lowly paid and a dead end for most.
    Don't do coding learn business analysis and project management then you can work in more than IT but can also do other work. It will do you good if you stay in family business.
    Many tech jobs require constant training which is hard to do forever. You may discover you aren't the greatest either so many never get the big money.
    Tester jobs pay 40-50k after a few years of experience. Good way in without a full college course. That can be very technical if you want too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

There are so many people wrong in this thread I don't even know who to argue with :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Allo all.

Am content in my current work, family business, doing very well. Problem is there is a ****-ton of feuding going on between my brothers and i am slowly but surely losing interest.

I have always had a strong interest in computers and would consider a career in IT. I've been an avid gamer all my life, and getting in 3D animation/games programming would be right up my alley.

I have next to no experience with networks/programming etc, and by the time i started a degree program and graduated, i'd be 31. Then with the obligatory 5ish years at junior level, i'd be 35 before i started to move up pay-scales.

Is this too late to start? What could my prospects be at this age? Or would i be looked over in favour of the 20-something year olds?

I've started doing some evening courses in programming/networking and a friend has me experimenting with python, Java, etc, but I'm just a little afraid I've left a move to late.

Just gathering info at the minute, so thanks for any and all replies.

CC.

TL;DR: To get started in IT is 31/32 (graduated) too old?

No its not OP. I'm currently in NY for a 6 month placement and there is quite a few employees here who got into IT late in life. In fact, my manager owned kitchens and was a chef until his 30s before he made the switch.

You will however need to go back to college for it. There is a huge amount of IT graduates coming out of Irish colleges each year, and although job opportunities are great, employers are still gonna be looking for that degree.

If you wanna get started on your own and are looking for a place to learn from, I suggest the following:

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php

Fantastic site which I have found extremely useful on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Whatever role you pick in IT, it'll cost you a few years and based where you live in this country could be a bitch to getting a job (a paid one, anyways)

If it's for gaming then you'd have better luck going to the UK for that. Guy I went to college with studied programming, went to the UK to focus on gaming, and wound up working for EA.

Thing is about programming, I found, is either have a taste for it or you don't. With some people it just clicks perfectly with them while others (me) fùcked off and did the systems & networking side of IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

30-40 k how would one live on that;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm a Desktop Engineer and I'll call BS on the maxing out at 30k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Knex. wrote: »
    No its not OP. I'm currently in NY for a 6 month placement and there is quite a few employees here who got into IT late in life. In fact, my manager owned kitchens and was a chef until his 30s before he made the switch.

You will however need to go back to college for it. There is a huge amount of IT graduates coming out of Irish colleges each year, and although job opportunities are great, employers are still gonna be looking for that degree.

If you wanna get started on your own and are looking for a place to learn from, I suggest the following:

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php

Fantastic site which I have found extremely useful on multiple occasions.

America is a bit different though...I'm working with a guy in his 60's that was a Truck driver until a few years ago. Most of the people I work with don't have an IT degree. They did a part time course and Microsoft, Citrix, VMWare, Cisco certification courses....which in my opinion is better preparation than a college IT course anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

What's a desktop engineer? What part of the desktop do you engineer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

That's just plain wrong. I know of plenty of Desktop engineers in my company earning far in excess of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Look at it this way. You will likely be 65-70 before you retire. Even at 35 years old you are still talking 30+ years in your career. Do you want to spend those years in a job you dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Sergeant wrote: »
    What's a desktop engineer? What part of the desktop do you engineer?

It's another name for PC support. it generally (but not always) is the person who calls up to your pc to either install something (hardware or software) or to take your pc away. They might manage a portion of an AD environment, software deployment and bits and bobs like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement