Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into IT later in Life?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No way will you be too old graduating at 32 or so OP, go for it! You have 30 years to move up the pay scale, you have nothing to lose as long as you can afford to go back to college and wait out the first few years on a graduate salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm a Desktop Engineer and I'll call BS on the maxing out at 30k

Entry level for the job is 20K - 25K plus let's say a 1K bonus each year s after 5 years....

Of course your salary's gonna increase each year if you stay with the same company in the same job, but at a slow rate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Entry level for the job is 20K - 25K plus let's say a 1K bonus each year s after 5 years....

Of course your salary's gonna increase each year if you stay with the same company in the same job, but at a slow rate....

My current title is Desktop Engineer. My salary doubled after 3 years. I am now 5 years into it and my salary has tripled from what I started on. If you are worth your salt you can make a very good living.

My current title is Desktop Engineer. My salary doubled after 3 years. I am now 5 years into it and my salary has tripled from what I started on. If you are worth your salt you can make a very good living.

Doing Os rebuilds and printer installs ? in Ireland / Dublin ? for the same company ? ful time employee no contracting B/S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

CruelCoin wrote: »
    TL;DR: To get started in IT is 31/32 (graduated) too old?

I don't think anyone cares in IT once you can prove you can do the job.

Doing Os rebuilds and printer installs ? in Ireland / Dublin ? for the same company ? ful time employee no contracting B/S

In Ireland I was offered double what I started on and it was full time. Currently I'm in America doing contracting making a butt load of money. I was also offered very close to what I'm on here for a full time position in Manchester last year.

I'm doing OS deployment, Application Packaging, Application deployment, Citrix Management, User Environment Management, Encryption, Migration, Print Server etc. etc.

But the feather in my cap is Application Virtualization. I started learning that 5 years ago and it's in high demand now. But I took it upon myself to learn it, thus if you are worth your salt and are willing to push yourself and learn outside of work, you can make a good living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

In Ireland I was offered double what I started on and it was full time. Currently I'm in America doing contracting making a butt load of money. I was also offered very close to what I'm on here for a full time position in Manchester last year.

I'm doing OS deployment, Application Packaging, Application deployment, Citrix Management, User Environment Management, Encryption, Migration, Print Server etc. etc.

But the feather in my cap is Application Virtualization. I started learning that 5 years ago and it's in high demand now. But I took it upon myself to learn it, thus if you are worth your salt and are willing to push yourself and learn outside of work, you can make a good living.

That's pretty much the guts of what I'm involved in at the moment. Got landed into a desktop migration/deployment project team and so have gotten experience in all of this, all while doing coding and other pieces for the team.

Good to see that you're doing well out of it and that what I'm learning now could very well stand to me in the future.

Knex. wrote: »
    That's pretty much the guts of what I'm involved in at the moment. Got landed into a desktop migration/deployment project team and so have gotten experience in all of this, all while doing coding and other pieces for the team.

Good to see that you're doing well out of it and that what I'm learning now could very well stand to me in the future.

Yeah, What I'd suggest is looking into different ways of doing things. A lot of companies use awful methods for packaging and deploying. Migration is probably going hit a wall for a while, I don't think Win8 will be picked up so the value will be in how to better deploy the apps I think...SCCM 2012, MSI Packaging, APP-V, ThinApp, XenApp.

I've created a few software tools too. Try to do one a year if I can. It's good for the cv and represents a cost saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Programming languages are simply tools that are used. Sometimes using something like C# or Java could be the right option, sometimes you need something a little closer to the operating system like C or C++. Sometimes you just need an interpreted scripting language.

At the moment I'm working in C# development, and it's a language that I'm really getting to like a lot. I have worked with other languages in the past and would contemplate doing so again.

Get familiar with things like OOP and that'll serve you well in pretty much any object oriented language. The fundamentals of many languages don't radically differ.

• Advertisement

I agree if you have a specalist skill set like say Application Virtualization, or Virtualization as a whole these days will can pick and choose your jobs.

But you're bog standard Desktop engineer, here's you pc do you want MS office installed ? that's still bog pay money ..

I agree if you have a specalist skill set like say Application Virtualization, or Virtualization as a whole these days will can pick and choose your jobs.

But you're bog standard Desktop engineer, here's you pc do you want MS office installed ? that's still bog pay money ..

But no matter what job you do it's up to yourself to stay proactive and learn new things. Especially now, I don't know about who you work for but my last employer in Ireland froze the training budget back in 2008. It's never been easier to learn this stuff too since most vendors have virtual labs you can play with. If anybody is interested in application virtualization, APP-V 5.0 beta 2 is free to download right now. There's videos and blogs online on how to set it up and play with it. You can use VirtualBox for free to create your test virtual machines.

I offered before but I'll be moving back to Ireland in the new year. If there's anybody out there interested in application virtualization I'm open to giving free training. http://www.rorymon.com/blog/

Check out the user group I setup: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/APPV-User-Group-Ireland-3765740

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm glad to see you're on 22 grand :pac:

Advertisement