Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Gaulsmills/Kilmacow

Options
  • 26-07-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

What options do I have folks?

Have no UPC, so I'm wondering what wifi I can get. Is Eircom my only real option or how about the likes of Magnet?

Can someone advise please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can get DSL from eircom this means you can get eircom wholesales dsl service from anyone else such as Vodafone, Digiweb, utv, etc

Don't just settle for eircom because its eircom, shop around and get the best value for your money as at the end of the day its just the exact same service over a phone line but you pay a different company for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Hi guys,

is there any newer options for broadband since 2012 in Kilmacow? Might have to move there soon and I do a lot of work from home, what are my options does anyone know? In the Knockhouse area if that helps.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Fixed wireless is probably going to be your only option if you want any sort of decent bandwidth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi guys,

is there any newer options for broadband since 2012 in Kilmacow? Might have to move there soon and I do a lot of work from home, what are my options does anyone know? In the Knockhouse area if that helps.

TIA

You might find this handy as it'll give you an idea of whats available where you'll be living

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi guys,

TIA

Hi,

I live in that area myself and looked into broadband options when we moved in.

Sadly Knockhouse is right at the edge one of the broadband exchanges so when I enquired from Eircom I was told the best speed I could hope for is 1mb.

Thankfully what is good though is the mobile phone reception out there. I use Meteor mobile broadband since we moved in 2 years ago and it works well. Can't really stream live tv on it due to the normal issues with mobile broadband but it's perfect for regular browsing and downloading torrents, etc.

I have a 20gb download limit for about €20 a month but you can get bigger limits if needed. I get about 400 kb/sec speeds when downloading torrents.

It does depend how far up the hill you are though in Knockhouse as I find phone reception gets patchy up past the stud.

• Advertisement

That exchange does up to 24MB these days which should improve coverage a little,

Cabaal wrote: »
    That exchange does up to 24MB these days which should improve coverage a little,

It was actually only a couple of months ago I checked with Eircom and they said 1mb was prob the best I could hope for. It was the Talk to Eircom rep on here I spoke to actually.

I'd love to know if anyone has it in the area though and what speeds they are getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Went with Total Wireless, speeds seem ok, no contract, no cap on downloads... customer service is second to none, they're out straight away if there's an issue with the signal.

Highly recommend. The only weak point is that the signal in other rooms in the house can be weak.

Went with Total Wireless, speeds seem ok, no contract, no cap on downloads... customer service is second to none, they're out straight away if there's an issue with the signal.

Highly recommend. The only weak point is that the signal in other rooms in the house can be weak.

How much is that working out for you if you don't mind me asking?

Would you mind running a speedtest from speedtest.net at some stage to see how it compares to Meteor mobile BB.

Can you stream live tv on it OK?

If you are having signal strength issues you can add another wireless router somewhere else in the house and just connect the original router to the new router via a network cable. I have two routers, both in the attic, at either end of the house and the whole house has Wi Fi as a result.

Sorry for all the questions but would make the switch if the speeds were better and I could stream live TV OK!

Cheers

I thought we were on an unlimited package but looking at their website maybe we're not - http://www.totalwireless.ie/

We went for the 39euro option as we don't know how long we'll be in the area otherwise we could have gone for the 30euro option and paid the installation fee.

Yup, Netflix and SKYGo etc... work perfectly without buffering. When I rang to order they guaranteed me Netflix etc... would work and told me that if it didn't work perfectly they would refund me. It all works great, I'll run a speedtest later this evening and post the results.

If I'm upstairs and try to stream SKYGo it's not great but downstairs it's absolutely perfect. I'm very happy with the product as it did everything they said it would do as I switched over from 3 broadband which did nothing it said it would do.

• Advertisement

I thought we were on an unlimited package but looking at their website maybe we're not - http://www.totalwireless.ie/

We went for the 39euro option as we don't know how long we'll be in the area otherwise we could have gone for the 30euro option and paid the installation fee.

Yup, Netflix and SKYGo etc... work perfectly without buffering. When I rang to order they guaranteed me Netflix etc... would work and told me that if it didn't work perfectly they would refund me. It all works great, I'll run a speedtest later this evening and post the results.

If I'm upstairs and try to stream SKYGo it's not great but downstairs it's absolutely perfect. I'm very happy with the product as it did everything they said it would do as I switched over from 3 broadband which did nothing it said it would do.

Cheers for that and for doing the speedtest later on.

SkyGo is painful in our house on the Meteor BB (constant buffering). I hear all mobile broadband though has issues with streaming (at least on 3G anyway).

It's OK on youtube because it isn't live and if it can download/stream sections at a time rather than needing a constant speed every second for live TV. I assume Netflix operates on a similar basis to youtube so the Sky Go live viewing would be the one that matters most to me if I was changing over.

Our BB is only €15 a month for 50GB download so would be a bit of a jump to Total Wireless. However, if I could get sky go working I could get rid of skysports which costs me €35 a month!

I assume your connection point from the aerial on the roof is downstairs?

If possible you could run a network cable from the downstairs router up into a room upstairs and connect a new wireless router. That would extend the signal upstairs and hopefully allow for Sky Go usage.

This is the router we have and it works pretty well at extending the range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3420-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1409326407&sr=8-12&keywords=tp+link+router

We needed that as it allowed us to plug in our mobile broadband dongle but I'm sure there are even cheaper ones available if you don't need that particular functionality (which you wouldn't with your set up)

I'm no expert on such things though!

Here's the speed test - http://www.speedtest.net/result/3723236239.png

SkyGo runs absolutely perfectly downstairs.

Never thought of another router upstairs, will ring the lads there and see is there anything they can do.

Since we've got the internet installed with them we've had 2 very slight issues where there were minor difficulties in the signal strength, my missus rang me to tell me but before i could ring Total Wireless they rang me to tell me there was an issue and could they come out to fix it.

That's good speed alright (for the countryside!)

I just did one there now and got

Download of 3.68
    Upload of 0.84
    Ping of 69ms

Much slower speeds than Total Wireless.

Your ping is a bit slow though but if Sky Go is working then I'd be happy to switch

Must look into it and see what they say

Ping is very high alright.

As there's no contract with Total Wireless if you're not happy you can just leave.

Not sure if anyone is following this thread (or has any interest) but just said I'd post that 4G vodafone is now available in Kilmacow.

I've just signed up to the 20GB per month package for 29.99 per month. Not a great allowance and more expensive than Meteor but my god the speeds are amazing.

I live literally in the middle of no where and I'm getting nearly 30Mb download speeds now :-)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4214085417

Advertisement