Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBD2 ELM327 with USB - looking for app

Options
  • 26-07-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I bought OBD2 scanner based on ELM327 with USB connection. There are quite a few applications on the market that work with ELM327, but with bluetooth/wifi connection. I can't find anything that works with USB version.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Not Sure there is one afaik. The bluetooth method is what i use and it works fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Torque works through usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Torque is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Any details? I tried torque and there are only wifi/bluetooth options.

lsusb shows that the OBD2 is connected (USB ID 0403:6001)

Did u try the paid version of torque?
    Usb is there under settings - obd settings.

• Advertisement

No, I have the free version.

Looks like ur gonna have to fork out the cash for the paid one so.
    It's well worth it in fairness.

No, I don't think so - 3.55 is a fair price for the app, but I just found out very detailed manual for ELM327 [1] and I don't need all bells and whistles in Torque. I just need to read & reset error codes.

[1] http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html#ELM327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If you're really hardcore use the ELM327 with only a terminal application and a laptop. Or an arduino

I just tested it (20 minutes ago) with "screen". Didn't save the session, but everything works fine. I'm trying to make openobd (linux) work.
    sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0
    screen /dev/ttyUSB0 38400

ATZ

AT@1

ATDP

ATE0

ATDPN

• Advertisement

never heard of screen being used for that purpose, but if it works how bad.always use minicom meself

a lot of them apps for linux are half finished, depend on ancient versions of python and qt and rarely work so thats how i ended up using minicom

I was surprised as well when I found out thtat screen can do the job. It works half fine - I used it with no echo (ate0), because messages coming back were without first character, but it might me elm327 problem. Anyway I have it up & running.

If you know about any obd software written in c (even half finished) let me know. openobd is in c++ (I think so...) and that's not my favourite language...

I got the following software with my scanner:

ScanTool.net113, ScanMater, OBD2Spy, EasyOBDII, wOBDCrazy

Not used any of them though.

I think I got the same set, but it's windows-only. I tried wine - no luck (some 32/64 bit problems)

PrzemoF wrote: »
    If you know about any obd software written in c (even half finished) let me know. openobd is in c++ (I think so...) and that's not my favourite language...

Maybe a project for me to write, i have a rfid reader app i wrote about a month ago i can butcher some of the code from. I've had no luck at all with any pre-written apps for the elm in linux

If you're going to do it please think about some OBD library :-)

Anyone else interested in making an OBD soft?

(lang = c, CMS = git, hosting = github/sourceforge?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 omar21cu

as far as i know some of the elm wont work only with iOS (iphone, ipad etc...) not with android, but i got other one which is compatible with android and apple, so be careful about that. My advice wifi + usb cable (best option)

if you using ios devices like iphone, get your self the dashcommander, its the best (use jailbreak and vshare to get it :p )
    android am not sure about the best one so you may have to see what others say about it.

using wifi you have to read the guide and know what you doing or else you wont fo anywhere... always applying the RTFM rule is great thing. (device ip: 192.168.0.10:35000) be sure to set up a static between 192.168.0.1-9 or 192.168.0.11-254

best of luck...
    ELM devices have finished big diagnostic companies AND AM GLAD FOR THAT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ELM are a big diagnostic company, every chinese company that ripped off there technology and name is what has cheap readers available.

FWIW the STN1110 is a far more reliable and better alternative to the ELM, both original and clones

Advertisement