Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Engineer Rathkeale area

• 26-07-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi,

I have sky out home in rathkeale and I want to move the sky+ box from one room to another. The cables run into the room feeding the sky box from the attic (no aerial socket). The other room with a box in already has an aerial socket to hook in to. The room i want to use now has a socket also. Its a new house so you can hook into it from the attic. Its an easy enough job id say, anyone one near the rathkeale area and how much will it cost to move the box?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭djdunny

My mom used a guy called Conor O'Donoghue. Unfortunately I don't have a number for him right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

steveon is a user here who would sort that for you I'd say - give him a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

djdunny wrote: »
    My mom used a guy called Conor O'Donoghue. Unfortunately I don't have a number for him right now.

cool if you can get it send me a pm. no rush at all, the wife wants the room (my man cave) so thats why im moving the sky box. Take your time!! ha :p

langdang wrote: »
    steveon is a user here who would sort that for you I'd say - give him a PM

cheers man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Sky 'engineer' ... meh! Four years of university only to be put in the same bracket as lads who go around fixing washing machines and setting up peoples tv's! Grrrr.

Anyway, (to try and be helpful) it is an easy enough job. You just have to connect the sky service wire in the attic to the one that's going to the room where you're moving the sky+ box to. The tricky part is finding out which wire is which as there could be a few going to different rooms? This was often done on new builds.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    Sky 'engineer' ... meh! Four years of university only to be put in the same bracket as lads who go around fixing washing machines and setting up peoples tv's! Grrrr.

Anyway, (to try and be helpful) it is an easy enough job. You just have to connect the sky service wire in the attic to the one that's going to the room where you're moving the sky+ box to. The tricky part is finding out which wire is which as there could be a few going to different rooms? This was often done on new builds.

probably can do it myself but the problem is i need a longer cable to hook into the socket I think. I'll have a look myself anyhow but just pricing to see if its cheaper to avoid any hassle i get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sky+ needs two runs of cable between the satellite receiver and the LNB on the dish Dr. Engineer....... :P

Raiser wrote: »
    Sky+ needs two runs of cable between the satellite receiver and the LNB on the dish Dr. Engineer....... :P

haha hence why im reluctant to do this myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Raiser wrote: »

Never said I knew much about fixing washing machines or setting up people's tv's. Must have missed that module in uni!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

. The tricky part is finding out which wire is which as there could be a few going to different rooms? This was often done on new builds.

Its simple to find out which cable are going to rooms using a cable tracer, any reputable engineer and electrician's will have 1 to save time. You can also use a voltmeter and a battery to do such work buts its a little trickier. You will need 2 cables from dish to the room required for full Sky+ functions, or u can use a device called a Stacker/Destacker to send it down the one wire, but these are expensive approx €80 but they work perfectly fine where the cabling in the wall is of a minimum of RG6 graded cabling, usually black in colour.

Hope that helps...
    Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement