Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed killer on newish garden??

Options
  • 26-07-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I've new grass growing in my garden for about two months now. As expected there are plenty of weeds sprouting up too.
    I have some weed killer, a concentrate.
    Doff make it, red bottle... If that helps :)

Anyway, can I use this or is it still too early for my garden? Lady in shop said go for it but bottle says 6 months.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

The only Doff product I know thats a lawn weed killer is their Ready to use Lawn Spot Weeder. The problem is that your grass seedlings will be sensitive to the weedkiller and if you use it you may get some very bad yellowing and die back in the areas you spray.

Just keep cutting away and leave it at least 6 months before you use lawn weedkiller on it and preferably longer, currently you should be out there at least once a week.

There used to be a product formulted for new lawns but I've just checked a mass of product spec sheets for weed control chemicals and not one says its OK to use on anything other than an established lawn which isn't one thats only a couple of months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fcuk im after spraying the garden with it :(

I went with the shop assistants advise, i hope its ok now after all the heard work i put into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I wouldn't worry too much if it was one of the pre mixed ones I think they err on the side of caution and most of the problems I've seen with lawns is where someone has thought double strenght would be better than the recommened dose.

But I would make sure its well watered leave it say 3 days for the weedkiller to take affect then if its not rained give it a really good watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I did err on the side of caution slightly, a little less than the stated amount. I didnt use it sparingly though.

If the rain doesnt arrive by saturday i'll give it a good watering.

Advertisement