Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go about landscaping?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a back yard that I am not happy with.

The garden level is is about 3-4 feet below the level of the back door (it's a 1930's house) and there are ugly steep concrete steps leading down to some more concrete and then the grass starts.

I am interested in doing something about it, but have conflicting ideas in my head and I'm not sure it'll be a DIY job.

I'm think of raised wooden decking with steps down, or a raised patio with steps down, or a raised patio on a retaining wall with the garden sloped up to the wall.

My question is - is it possible to approach landscaping companies to come up with ideas for the back garden and an associated cost? Does this stage come for free, ie will a landscaping company provide a plan and idea and cost, for free before I contract them?

Any ideas, advice or help with be appreciated in this matter.

Experience of similar projects and issues would be great.

Thanks

Mickyd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

We had a large job done on our back garden at the back end of last year. From my dealing with landscapers the procedure was, they come out an assess the job, discuss what potential plans you have in mind, some take measurements and photos and will come back to you with a proposal. You have two options on cost, give them a budget to work to our get them to give an itemised quote. Some will come back with drawings for you to review BUT if you want to hang onto the drawings they will be looking for a deposit.

I'd recommend going professional, the quality of the work we had done was excellent and 9 months later the garden is looking fantastic.

As is always the case, you get what you pay for so shop around and look for examples of work (that you can visit) and where possible references.

Good luck !

Advertisement