Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions for good Waders

Options
  • 26-07-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Anglers..

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of thigh waders, that don't leak after 2 days ? I'm on my second pair and they leak too, there must be a good reliable brand out there that can take a small bit of abuse and not spring a leak.

Also any recommendation of where to purchase either online or in shop would be great thanks.

Norm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Myself and two others bought a pair each of Aigle waders in Sportsden Navan in Aug '08, they got plenty of use since then and all three pairs are still being used. They were €125 a pair at the time. I'm not sure what model they are but they are similar to the Paracour rubber boots.
    Great job, my next pair will be the same again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't spend more than about €80 on a pair of thigh waders and would like a pair that can be folded down to wellington size when not needing to wade. I'm I living in cloud cuckoo land?
    Are there any such articles out there? Getting back in the game after 30 years and so much had changed since my old dunlop rubber hip-boots.

I will be pike/perch fishing from a lake shore and hopefully fly fishing on smallish rivers next year. Would I be as well with my reliable wellies??

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

don't go for "foil" ones. Hart are ok for durability (75 euros in most shops in dublin my ones are about 2 yeras old and still ok) but crap for comfort (soft and flexible soles - easy for ankle injuries).
    maybe something like breathable trousers (simms make it - looks like regular trousers with stocking foot).
    but i would recommend stocking foot breathable chest waders. my patagonias started to leak slowly after few years of use few times a month and i fixed them with 10 euro worth of aqua sure.
    ps old lidl ones were brilliant - stiff sole with metal insert and deep thread...
    for like 20e. new ones are made of fabric-avoid.
    ps2 if breathables seems expensive check prices in us.

Pardon my ignorance but are those trousers not just like waterproofs as opposed to waders? And anything Simms I googled were 300 or 400 dollars.

• Advertisement

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/freestone_pant.html
    200$ directly of simms what is it 150e? normal waders are about 80e.
    but i'm almost certain that i seen them on sale some time ago for like 100$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HODGEMAN-WADELITE-BREATHABLE-STOCKINGFOOT-WAIST-WADERS-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-/320994352787?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item4abcc11e93
    something cheaper.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/footwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders/_/N-1101196/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104674680?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104747580
    quite a selection of cheaper ones.

this is if you don't want a chest waders.
    on last swords angling exhibition friend bought pair of chest waders (orvis?) for 100 euro.
    of course you will need to buy shoes as well (50-250euro?)
    but overall comfort of it can not be compared to normal waders...
    ps don't buy neoprene ones unless you want to use them in winter only.

What about old fashioned thigh waders that fold and popper down to wellingtons when not needed as waders? Does anybody do these any more? These trousers plus shoes seem expensive - what seals between the leg/sock/shoe to keep water out.

i told already - hart (harte?) available in most dublin shops - made of rubber with neoprene lining if you want use "classics".
    In breathables sock is made of neoprene and it is stitched to the trousers (seams are taped with watertight tape). If you will pay minimal attention to it they should last couple of years.

Advertisement