Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

99p-jar-of-honey-cures-one-man-s-painful-eye-infection

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm-dubious-about-clicking-that-link,-is-it-safe-does-anyone-know-?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Racking my brains to think of a bee pun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Tabnabs wrote: »

dammit-you-beat-me-to-the-obvious-dashes-post-that-will-get-lots-of-thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Oh, bee-hive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What you need is to consult someone who's a hive of information regarding bee puns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's nothing. I rubbed jam on my crotch once and it cured my scabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Tabnabs wrote: »

I've changed it from the Yahoo link to a Daily Mail one for so ...it wont sting ya
    Cina wrote: »
    dammit-you-beat-me-to-the-obvious-dashes-post-that-will-get-lots-of-thanks.
    Beehave .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

AnonoBoy wrote: »

I'll take your word for it....

Oh wait,wait....i beeleeve you! :D

........:o

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're a honey seller aren't you OP. You want everyone rubbing honey into their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

eye dont bee'lieve it..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

He must be buzzing to be finally cured

You're a honey seller aren't you OP.
    I'm a Honey consumer ...Honey
    You want everyone rubbing honey into their eyes
    What ...and possibly go blind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I've got 99 honey's but a bee-tch ain't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Eye wish people would stop drone-ing on with these puns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

99p for honey LOL

would be interesting to do a pollen test on it to identify where it came from

if there is no pollen then it's diluted - with sugar if you are lucky - Chinese honey. If you are unlucky then it's “a mix of sugar water, malt sweeteners, corn or rice syrup, jaggery [a type of unrefined sugar], barley malt sweetener or other additives with a bit of actual honey.” And pesticides and hevey metals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Bee flying off the shelves now....

Har har :)

99p for honey LOL

if there is no pollen then it's diluted - with sugar if you are lucky - Chinese honey. If you are unlucky then it's “a mix of sugar water, malt sweeteners, corn or rice syrup, jaggery [a type of unrefined sugar], barley malt sweetener or other additives with a bit of actual honey.” And pesticides and hevey metals
    I don't think their is any doubt of the healthy benefits attributed to honey and I buy it from supermarkets or health store but as you say , it's what's added to the supermarket brands that might throw suspicion on any health claims and straight from the hive it's going to be in it's natural state .

On a similar 'price of product ' note, a survey in UK last week stated that cheap 99p brands of paracetamol are just as beneficial as the more expensive brands .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Honey as an anti-bacterial agent fell out of use with the advent of penicillin and other antibiotics, now with more and more bacteria becoming immune to antibiotics its use is increasing again.

I've used it on myself and shared the knowledge with others who were amazed at its effects.
    Here is something a bit more reliable than The Daily Mail.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120131205919.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

99p for honey LOL

Maybe the pesticides killed his eye infection

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Latchy wrote: »
    I don't think their is any doubt of the healthy benefits attributed to honey and I buy it from supermarkets or health store but as you say , it's what's added to the supermarket brands that might throw suspicion on any health claims and straight from the hive it's going to be in it's natural state .

On a similar 'price of product ' note, a survey in UK last week stated that cheap 99p brands of paracetamol are just as beneficial as the more expensive brands .
    Real honey has health benefits
    Fake honey may do more harm than good and Golden Syrup is probably healthier than some of the worst stuff on the market in China (honey sales there are over 5 times annual honey production and a lot of the honey is exported)

BTW
    The patent on paracetamol has expired which means anyone with a properly licensed pharmaceutical factory can make it. No matter what brand you buy it's still N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethanamide

The 99p paracetamol will work just as well as the 39p Boots Generic one ;)

• Advertisement

Honey as an anti-bacterial agent fell out of use with the advent of penicillin and other antibiotics, now with more and more bacteria becoming immune to antibiotics its use is increasing again.

I've used it on myself and shared the knowledge with others who were amazed at its effects.

Real honey has health benefits
    Fake honey may do more harm than good and Golden Syrup is probably healthier than some of the worst stuff on the market in China (honey sales there are over 5 times annual honey production and a lot of the honey is exported)
    If that guy believes his eye problem was solved bya 99p jar of honey then who going to argue with him . There has always been a jar of honey in our home going back to childhood days and I've been aware of all the health benefits for many years now .
    The patent on paracetamol has expired which means anyone with a properly licensed pharmaceutical factory can make it. No matter what brand you buy it's still N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethanamide

The 99p paracetamol will work just as well as the 39p Boots Generic one ;)
    Some people see 99p price tag and think ' it can't be much good if it's that cheap ''...so they buy another ,more expensive brand .That goes for other items such as food ,cosmetics and clothes to name a few but that was always part of advertisement trickery '' but now I'm told ,what's new is old '' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

save the bee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Not too keen on honey but I do like their milk, though.

You get it from Boo Bees. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

AnonoBoy wrote: »

I slipped on a banana skin once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

Whats type of bee makes milk?

A boo-bee :o

Honey is usually not sold with a sell-by date, can be used for years as long as water does not get into it.

Honey can be used to treat burns.

When produced in your local area honey should help people with hay fever & alergies.

Honey can also boost your immunity.

Right up there with Hemp with its usefulness, the aul honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

weemcd wrote: »
    Whats type of bee makes milk?

A boo-bee :o

Honey is usually not sold with a sell-by date, can be used for years as long as water does not get into it.

Honey can be used to treat burns.

When produced in your local area honey should help people with hay fever & alergies.

Honey can also boost your immunity.

Right up there with Hemp with its usefulness, the aul honey.

honey is the one food that does not go-off, apparently honey was found in tombs of pharaoh and thousands of years later it was still good.

bees in my garden go made for lavender, honeysuckle and fruit trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The man took an arrow to the eye :eek: that gotta hurt.

I have been told that any honey is just as good as say Manuka Honey and it's just a waste of money to go buying these jars with 100+ ratings on them.

Hmm could be good lyrics for a rap song above.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm actually sitting here in work drinking tea with honey in it. Great for irritated throats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Oh, bee-hive!

The internet's always a buzz with these kind of wonder remedies.

• Advertisement

Some people see 99p price tag and think ' it can't be much good if it's that cheap ''...so they buy another ,more expensive brand .That goes for other items such as food ,cosmetics and clothes to name a few but that was always part of advertisement trickery '' but now I'm told ,what's new is old '' ;)
    Buying paracetamol in a 99p shop makes it very expensive when you can buy it for 39p in a real pharmacy with real pharmacists you can ask advice from.

Buying paracetamol in a 99p shop makes it very expensive when you can buy it for 39p in a real pharmacy with real pharmacists you can ask advice from.
    I was thinking more of the people who would pay £2.99 for a pack of paracetamol instead of 99p one but even at 39p I wouldn't buy that cheap ...lol and I don't have to ask a pharmacists what amount of paracetamol to take but the dosage is on the pack anyway .

I was thinking more of the people who would pay £2.99 for a pack of paracetamol instead of 99p one but even at 39p I wouldn't buy that cheap ...lol and I don't have to ask a pharmacists what amount of paracetamol to take but the dosage is on the pack anyway .
    39p is the price in Boots.

It's not cheap. That's what it actually costs to make. And sell at a profit.

And if you are going to buy ibuprofen you might as well get it in Boots since they invented it.

39p is the price in Boots.

It's not cheap. That's what it actually costs to make. And sell at a profit.

And if you are going to buy ibuprofen you might as well get it in Boots since they invented it.
    Joking aside ,there can't be any difference between a 39p and 99p x 12 pack of paracetamol which have the same 500mg strength but you'll often see a 12 pack of 500mg Panadol for a dearer price so it make sense when you read that price aside , they both do the same job.

Advertisement