Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky entering Broadband in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Also said 100% coverage. How's that when using BT's 'backbone'. Said rural Ireland can avail also, how? Sat dish? Existing non-broadband phone lines?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Surly they have the ability to set up a satellite service .?
    Why resell an inferior product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

KoolKid wrote: »
    Surly they have the ability to set up a satellite service .?
    Why resell an inferior product?

Broadband cannot be delivered by satellite. Because of the distance the latency is much too high for anything in real-time, gaming, skype etc. Also a satellite has about as much bandwidth as a small rural exchange, this is shared across Europe to all customers, hence most satellite offerings have pitiful download limits and throttling in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject of broadband and upc being better...

has anyone noticed upc broadband dropping alot lately? I'm in west dublin. its weird. Will be down for a few mins (sometimes over an hour) then come back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Broadband cannot be delivered by satellite. Because of the distance the latency is much too high for anything in real-time, gaming, skype etc. Also a satellite has about as much bandwidth as a small rural exchange, this is shared across Europe to all customers, hence most satellite offerings have pitiful download limits and throttling in the evening

No wonder when I was on Irish broadband it was shit!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With the likes of Onwave able to offer 10meg/4 meg I thought Sky would be able to go way better.
    I cant see them getting any great custom from using poor quality Eircom lines.

On the subject of broadband and upc being better...

has anyone noticed upc broadband dropping alot lately? I'm in west dublin. its weird. Will be down for a few mins (sometimes over an hour) then come back on.

Mines been great since the big blackout a few weeks back.:D

So how will it be 100% coverage? Anybody?

mydogjack wrote: »
    So how will it be 100% coverage? Anybody?

They can't make that claim with just DSL:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

It won't be,either the guy interviewed doesn't know what he's talking about (very likely) or he was lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If they offer a bundle of tv, broadband and phone for a good price this is good news.

Better then paying more for sky and eircom separately which I imagine a lot of people do now.

With the likes of Onwave able to offer 10meg/4 meg I thought Sky would be able to go way better.

10/4 mbit isn't much good if you'd use up that limit in an hour of Youtube. Satellite will never be broadband.

Also the way satellite works makes it unusable for many services, VPN's etc. Smoke and mirror tricks, highly optimised browsing is all it is.
    Current satellite data networks employ a technique referred to as TCP acceleration or IP spoofing to compensate for the extra time required to transit the space segment. Special equipment at the carrier’s main satellite hub appears to terminate the TCP session, so it appears to the sender as the remote location. In actuality, the device at the satellite hub acts as a relay or forwarder between the originating terrestrial location and the remote satellite unit.

When the spoofing equipment receives Internet traffic destined for a remote satellite location, it immediately acknowledges receipt of the packet to the sender so more data packets will follow promptly. This way, the sender never experiences the actual latency to the remote site because acknowledgments return rapidly.

As a result, TCP moves out of slow-start mode quickly and builds to the highest practical speed. To prevent packets from being acknowledged twice, the spoofing equipment suppresses acknowledgments from the remote site. In this way, computers behind a satellite link communicate seamlessly and efficiently with servers on the terrestrial Internet. Inspite of acceleration techniques, some applications are latency sensitive.

http://www.vsat-systems.com/Education/Satellite-Internet-Explained/Performance/Protocols-and-applications/

They can't make that claim with just DSL:confused:
    They did on Matt Coioper, said 100%, cant understand how, unless part dsl, part sattelite. Or anybody know how else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Even if the speeds are the same as eircom i will have a look at what they offer as i am paying sky 52 for tv and vf 46 for bb and phone so surely i will get a cheaper deal all in.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    10/4 mbit isn't much good if you'd use up that limit in an hour of Youtube. Satellite will never be broadband.

Not disputing the quality of Satellite over cable & other forms of delivery but 10 meg is a lot better than what many are getting on some DSL lines. I have friends lucky to scrape 2 meg download.

How do you mean you would use up that limit in an hour of youtube?
    Thats the download speed, what limit are you referring to.?

• Advertisement

How do you mean you would use up that limit in an hour of youtube?
    Thats the download speed, what limit are you referring to.?

The monthly download limit (called download limit but is combined up and down) on most satellite is often as little as 4GB (Onwave). An hour of Youtube in HD and you're throttled for the rest of the month

Ahh got ya. It was just the way you quoted me saying the speeds .
    Onwave do have very low limits . But thats my whole point, surly Sky could better this.

Ahh got ya. It was just the way you quoted me saying the speeds .
    Onwave do have very low limits . But thats my whole point, surly Sky could better this.

They can't, the bandwidth is shared with the whole of Europe, the only way to control it is by low limits and throttling.

You must think Sky are magicians :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If they wanted to supply all of Ireland with a decent sized limit with satelite broadband they'd likely have to launch a dedicated satelite for it which won't happen.The latency with satelite is a killer for most RT applications anyways so would be next to useless for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

The Sky chappie also said they would not be relying on their satellite service to provide broadband.

• Advertisement

con71 wrote: »
    The Sky chappie also said they would not be relying on their satellite service to provide broadband.
    Can't see it being much to get excited about so. Possible a cheaper package combining Broadband TV & voice. Can't see it getting me away from UPC though.

Matt Cooper: "Will you be able to offer broadband into rural areas that just cant get broadband at present?"

Managing director Sky Ireland: "Absolutely, we will offer a quality Nationwide service from day one." "Satellite dishes are irrevelant."

How????

Maybe some other form of wireless delivery.
    Still nothing to get excited about.

Can't see it being much to get excited about so. Possible a cheaper package combining Broadband TV & voice. Can't see it getting me away from UPC though.

Agreed. Quite happy with my Sky TV and UPC 25Mb. :D

Maybe some other form of wireless delivery.
    Still nothing to get excited about.

What form or wireless delivery? Wireless requires a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This sky fella is just like of those sky agent that come to the door and try to sell nonsense

The same as the other wireless options, like Ripplecom etc...
    Or maybe they are looking to combining DSL & GSM broadband.
    I am just trying to figure out how they plan to offer 100% coverage .
    Any other way?

Did they give a date of launch?

The same as the other wireless options, like Ripplecom etc...

Requires a licence or else uses dirty unlicenced spectrum. Licences are very restrictive, only the mobile phone companies have nationwide licences.
    Or maybe they are looking to combining DSL & GSM broadband.
    I am just trying to figure out how they plan to offer 100% coverage .
    Any other way?

I don't see how they can. If it's satellite why do they need BT? If it's Dsl it can't have 100% coverage. I smell BS on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If they offer a bundle of tv, broadband and phone for a good price this is good news.

Better then paying more for sky and eircom separately which I imagine a lot of people do now.

this

• Advertisement

Well they've just spelled it out on National radio that they will have full nationwide coverage, I cant wait to see how. They said they wont launch until they are nationwide. Promised excellent customer service(surely a dig at those upc folk), as you would expect excellent customer service from such a big, poipular company anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

N64 wrote: »
    They are going to use eircoms DSL network, so if you switch from eircom/vodafone/UTV, etc. you are going to have the same connection exactly.
    They won't stand a chance against UPC in terms of broadband quality or speeds since UPC have their own cable network.

Nothing to get excited about really

those of us being moved onto eircoms fiber broadband could end up with excellent connections!
    :pac:

this is exactly why it could be good thing! anything that lowers the cost is better than nothing at all, not to mention they do have features such as the 'sky shop' etc which we may get as part of this too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Promised excellent customer service(surely a dig at those upc folk).
    UPCs customer care is actually quite good, post Chorus/NTL they have really stepped up their game. Actually know of people who've had issues with Skys customer care, whenever I contacted UPC (which is rarely neccesary) they have always been helpful, and I never had to wait long

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Promised excellent customer service(surely a dig at those upc folk), as you would expect excellent customer service from such a big, poipular company anyway.
    I haven't meet a large popular company that's had good customer service. Usually they all put you in the automated phone system roundabout until you run out of credit or give up in frustration. Especially sky from what I've heard.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I haven't meet a large popular company that's had good customer service. Usually they all put you in the automated phone system roundabout until you run out of credit or give up in frustration. Especially sky from what I've heard.

Having had both upc and Sky, I think Sky has the best customer service. I always get through real quick and there's a chat option which, although can be slow to get replies to problems, is free and works a treat. Upc was a joke when ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Having had both upc and Sky, I think Sky has the best customer service. I always get through real quick and there's a chat option which, although can be slow to get replies to problems, is free and works a treat. Upc was a joke when ringing.

agree totally, UPC's support is just appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

What method are sky using in the uk to deliver their service?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ofcork wrote: »
    What method are sky using in the uk to deliver their service?

DSL as well, I think Virgin Media over there are the UPC equivelent (cable networks), I think there are others too

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I still bear the scars of dealing with Cablelink/NTL/Chorus and had Eircom broadband for a few years.

Finally bit the bullet and got UPC a month a go after hearing and reading good reports and am delighted I did, high speed and good service, don't see how Sky will be able to compete using copper wires

• Advertisement

Is there any launch date?

I agree I have a very constant 100 meg connection. It's hard to see anyone competing with that using DSL .

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Gonna need a company to take over eircom and start really investing in their infrastructure

skydish79 wrote: »
    Gonna need a company to take over eircom and start really investing in their infrastructure

Waiting on Eircom to do it is what has this country in the dark ages. Succesive Governments have just sat back and let the market sort itself out, which hasn't worked. We need to build a new network, owned by the people and let all providers deliver over it. We need a long term plan, longer than the 4 years any party is in power. We need some joined up thinking for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

DenMan wrote: »
    Landmark day! Let's see what greedy Eircom now will do about this!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sky-to-launch-phone-and-internet-services-in-ireland-560692.html

Sky is shít. Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch is shít. If you lie down with dogs...expect your intelligence to be lowered significantly from watching anything owned by Ruper Murdoch, or reading anything owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Horrendous, fúcking horrendous, brain-dead rubbish. Tabloidesque, nationalistic, emotionally-retarded tribal drivel. I feel sick just thinking about it, and how anybody could think more of a Rupert Murdoch product is a good thing. Yuck. {{shiver}}.

Can't see that happening . Eircom have always offered the bare minimum . They should learn a thing one two from UPC . There they are with the fastest broadband and they still hand out speed increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Can't see that happening . Eircom have always offered the bare minimum . They should learn a thing one two from UPC . There they are with the fastest broadband and they still hand out speed increases.

Realistically its gonna take investment from the government - which they should do instead of pumping it into roads for example

We had that company takeover, and the media lauded it hugely. Then again the media was owned by the same asset stripping parasite, Tony O'Reilly, who promised us that wonderful investment in infrastructure when he took control of Eircom under the guise of the Valentia Consortium in 2001.

Of course, because O'Reilly owned the media in the form of Independent Newspapers, no politician would condemn him for things like not fulfilling his company's legal obligation to invest in Eircom. You don't want the thugs of Independent Newspapers undermining your next electoral campaigns because you condemned their owner.

Media oligarchs: bastards, all of them. Never trust powerful people, especially when they control the "free press".

Seanchai wrote: »
    DenMan wrote: »
    Landmark day! Let's see what greedy Eircom now will do about this!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sky-to-launch-phone-and-internet-services-in-ireland-560692.html

Sky is shít. Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch is shít. If you lie down with dogs...expect your intelligence to be lowered significantly from watching anything owned by Ruper Murdoch, or reading anything owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Horrendous, fúcking horrendous, brain-dead rubbish. Tabloidesque, nationalistic, emotionally-retarded tribal drivel. I feel sick just thinking about it, and how anybody could think more of a Rupert Murdoch product is a good thing. Yuck. {{shiver}}.
    Oh grow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seanchai wrote: »

Wow that's a bit of a rant,take it you just watch the BBC or ITV? When I watch Sky,I don't give a toss about Murdoch (he doesn't really own Sky;) )

Back on topic,Sky broadband won't be competing with UPC as their market will be the many that can't get UPC.If the prices are on a par with what is being charged in the UK then they'll get a lot of customers.They won't offer extra speed to start with but if the price is right people will sign up.
    In the UK they used BT lines but are now installing their own fibre so hopefully they'll do the same here.

con71 wrote: »
    Oh grow up!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement