Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky entering Broadband in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

zerks wrote: »
    Wow that's a bit of a rant,take it you just watch the BBC or ITV? When I watch Sky,I don't give a toss about Murdoch (he doesn't really own Sky;) )

I rarely watch tv. If I were to watch it, Sky would be the very last choice, whether it's the "sport" that is saturation soccer coverage or the "reality" shows which are just shocking on so many levels. ITV comes close in the pleb stakes, "royal reporters" and all that insulting medieval shíte for the British masses.

If I were to switch on the tv it would probably be to one of the BBC documentary/cultural programmes, TG4 or some station I could learn something from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

skydish79 wrote: »
    Realistically its gonna take investment from the government - which they should do instead of pumping it into roads for example

Private company's are providing a better service . Why should the government invest?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

So now there's another company gonna use the old crappy Eircom copper lines and adding to the congestion.

UPC sales agents can start planning holidays with all the extra commission they're going to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Is there a chance Sky can bring something new to the table or are they going to use the Eircom dark age network? I am on an 8meg UTV via Eircom contract and only get .8meg on a good day. Can sky use some jiggery pokery to speed my slimband?

Is there a chance Sky can bring something new to the table or are they going to use the Eircom dark age network? I am on an 8meg UTV via Eircom contract and only get .8meg on a good day. Can sky use some jiggery pokery to speed my slimband?

The only way Sky can bring something new is if they upgrade the infrastucture here. UPC don't use the Eircom system and they can give the speeds they do because they have a completely seperate network. So unless Sky want to go the Fibre Optic route, dig up the roads and spend the next year (and a few tens of millions) building a new network then it looks like the same skidmark on a different pair of boxers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All I can say kids thank God for competition . Otherwise Eircom would be still telling us 512k is good quality broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

naitsirhc wrote: »
    So now there's another company gonna use the old crappy Eircom copper lines and adding to the congestion.

UPC sales agents can start planning holidays with all the extra commission they're going to make.

Remember that a huge part of the population that can't get UPC;)

Era, there's still all the people on Eircom who are nearly out of contract who can still get UPC, and when the speeds go down more after Sky clogging the lines that'll be the last straw I'd say.

Era, there's still all the people on Eircom who are nearly out of contract who can still get UPC, and when the speeds go down more after Sky clogging the lines that'll be the last straw I'd say.

UPC is restricted to urban areas for obvious reasons,it's too costly to run fibre to rural homes,this is where Sky will hoover up customers especially if the price is right.
    They started off in England as a BT reseller but now have their own lines (fibre),hopefully they'll do similar here,competition is good for us consumers.

http://www.zdnet.com/sky-set-to-launch-cap-free-fibre-broadband-3040155004/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Sorry, this post makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Can you explain what exactly you mean?

• Advertisement

N17er wrote: »
    Sorry, this post makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Can you explain what exactly you mean?

There are Eircom customers who are nearly finished the 12 months minimum contract, so they can leave Eircom without paying a cancellation fee. So when Sky start using the Eircom system and add to the congestion etc then these Eircom customers, and anyone else on that system, would be lucky to get 1Mb broadband and would be better off looking elsewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PLENTY of places throughout Ireland who can't even get wired broadband so this new unfortunately is no good to us :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

KoolKid wrote: »
    All I can say kids thank God for competition . Otherwise Eircom would be still telling us 512k is good quality broadband.

More like thank heavens for the allowing of other service providers to finally be allowed.
    Eircom had the state authorised monopoly for decades.
    They could do what they really liked and charge too as they liked for it.

We are still vastly stuck with their much outdated lines across the country.
    They were too busy raking in the revenue to actually look to the future for a long while.
    Now the country is playing serious catch-up in a time of little money around.
    A worse time to try further improve things, you probably couldn't get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im looking at breaking news comments page there at the moment

That Nailer is just getting worse and the worse. Gullible people will believe his bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Eircom know whats coming. Frankly, they are terrified.

They have knocked several euro off of each of their packages and are ringing all of their broadband customers to try and get them to sign up to a new 12 month contract in the guise of "saving the customer money".

They know that a bunch of people already pay sky for their tv and will gladly swicth their broadband to sky for a cheaper package deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I'd say the main advantage for Sky is in the fact they are already in homes and have customers so its not a case of trying to attract business its trying to upgrade existing customer packages.

Great for sky (might save some people a few euro) but not really anything to shout about in terms of broadband.

Kirby wrote: »
    Eircom know whats coming. Frankly, they are terrified.

They have knocked several euro off of each of their packages and are ringing all of their broadband customers to try and get them to sign up to a new 12 month contract in the guise of "saving the customer money".

They know that a bunch of people already pay sky for their tv and will gladly swicth their broadband to sky for a cheaper package deal.

The number one question I was asked by people was "when are Sky launching broadband here?", there will be a huge takeup of the service among Sky tv customers,yes the problems exist in certain areas where the infrastructure is rubbish but maybe Sky will do something about this themselves as they have in the UK.

Eircom are scared of the competition,I have Vodafone @ Home and it's far cheaper than Eircom's offering with higher dl caps so if Sky can better this I'll switch to them.Ireland has a tradition of brand loyalty no matter how much things cost but this mentality is changing & with a new player in town it can only be good for us as consumers.
    Sky won't be competing with UPC broadband but have a huge market in the many,many places that can't get UPC broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

The number one question I was asked by people was "when are Sky launching broadband here?", there will be a huge takeup of the service among Sky tv customers,yes the problems exist in certain areas where the infrastructure is rubbish but maybe Sky will do something about this themselves as they have in the UK.

Sky managing director Ireland said wont be launching til full 100% coverage. Certain ares with sh!te coverage will have to get some sort of upgrade surely. Will cost a pretty penney though as eircom never bothered their proverbial hole to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

mydogjack wrote: »
    Sky managing director Ireland said wont be launching til full 100% coverage. Certain ares with sh!te coverage will have to get some sort of upgrade surely. Will cost a pretty penney though as eircom never bothered their proverbial hole to do this.

This makes me hopeful. It will probably take a year, maybe two but I'm praying they are actually going to upgrade the country with their own stuff and not just piggy back off eircom. The 100% they refer to can only be done by them putting some work in themselves.

I can only get eircom despite people having UPC less than a mile from me. It's irritating. Eircom's lines are terrible. I would switch to sky in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

My uncle lives in Sutton and can't get UPC broadband because its not available in his area, yet the UPC ad featuring Craig Doyle is filmed in one of the tolberone houses in...sutton

Advertisement