Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Coburger wrote: »
    Yikes, don't know if this was mentioned earlier here but not many Irish players in Davies Lions:

http://www.therugbyforum.com/rugby-union/nh/jonathan-davies-gavin-hastings-name-their-lions-xv-predictions/

Not many as in none!!! He has managed to squeeze in one or two of the Welsh chaps though

Clearly biased, he chose himself at 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Grimebox wrote: »
    Clearly biased, he chose himself at 13

That's known as "doing a Franno" in punditry circles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yikes, don't know if this was mentioned earlier here but not many Irish players in Davies Lions:

http://www.therugbyforum.com/rugby-union/nh/jonathan-davies-gavin-hastings-name-their-lions-xv-predictions/

Not many as in none!!! He has managed to squeeze in one or two of the Welsh chaps though

What's he got against Biggar or Roberts then? :pac:

Everytime my Dad see's him on the TV he shouts out "I hate the Irish" in a Welsh accent :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Remember Earls four years ago, wasn't doing all that much (if I remember correctly) and then he got a few tries against Ospreys in the Heineken Cup and he was on the plane. Quite an early call cause if I remember correctly he wasn't very good at catching (did he knock on the first three times he got the ball - I may be woefully wrong on that one)

He scored 10 tries that season for Munster (mostly playing centre). He got 2 against the Ospreys and this one against Leinster in Thomond Park this time 5 years ago (handoff of Healy). That was his first season.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v18188335pHedHXPh?h1=KEITH+EARLS+TRY+AGAINST+LEINSTER

He was the bolter - he had one cap against Canada I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

matthew8 wrote: »
    Australia still has a lot of class in their team. Home field advantage, backline still excellent (even if they'll only have steady Barnes at OH) with Genia, AAC, JOC all top class, Folau looking good, not to mention the Lions have their own weaknesses such as centre.

Gatland picks the right team there wont be too many weaknesses in that lions... especially at centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I don't see how we can be weak at center... Leaving BOD, Tuilagi, Davies and Roberts aside we've got some absolute class fringe centres such as Horne, Beck, and Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah I don't see how we can be weak at center... Leaving BOD, Tuilagi, Davies and Roberts aside we've got some absolute class fringe centres such as Horne, Beck, and Williams.

I don't think an objective viewer would view BOD, Tuilagi, Davies or Roberts as particularly good players in the 6N. Horne's looked good but hasn't made the Scottish side. Scrum half and hooker are other potential holes in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Class centre?
    Horne?

Does not compute!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Scott Williams os far from class as well. Princess Margaret could rip the ball off him.

Class centre?
    Horne?

Does not compute!

I think he's really underrated. Does exactly what any good 12 should; breaks the gain line, has a lovely eye for gap and a soft shoulder, and ALWAYS delivers on distribution. He's been key to Glasgow's success in recent times imo.

• Advertisement

Scott Williams os far from class as well. Princess Margaret could rip the ball off him.

He's a dangerman tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's a dangerman tho.

Hes dangerous but he's a liability in more than one area. He showed it against Leinster this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was going to make the point that Ireland came second last so its not unreasonable that no players make the Lions team, but that was before I read his selections. He's been a bit silly. No idea how he thinks Warburton should be captain.

Quite like the look of Hastings team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hes dangerous but he's a liability in more than one area. He showed it against Leinster this season.

Also someone the Welsh hate for never passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I was going to make the point that Ireland came second last so its not unreasonable that no players make the Lions team, but that was before I read his selections. He's been a bit silly. No idea how he thinks Warburton should be captain.

Quite like the look of Hastings team.

Id say he is just anti irish. Has always come across that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Hasting has Robshaw at 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

There was an interesting interview with Gatland on the Rugby Club where he gave strong indications he was only going to take 2 out halves so they'd each have 3-4 matches before the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I think the Hastings team is looking pretty good although no way would I be starting Rory Best, he wouldn't even make my test bench based on current form. The Davies team is about as likeable as his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think the Hastings team is looking pretty good although no way would I be starting Rory Best, he wouldn't even make my test bench based on current form. The Davies team is about as likeable as his accent.

If Best isn't in the 23, who would be your starting and benching hookers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Deano7788 wrote: »
    There was an interesting interview with Gatland on the Rugby Club where he gave strong indications he was only going to take 2 out halves so they'd each have 3-4 matches before the tests.

Thought these squads always had 3 hookers, scrum halves and out halves. I know there's not that many options at 10 but only taking 2 seems to leave yourself very short of cover there. Assuming Sexton and Farrell both travel they'd always be in the match day squad. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I assume Laidlaw will be brought as 9/10 cover

I'm a vocal supporter of bringing him, he ably covers both positions even if he hasn't played much at 10 in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Yeah just don't think he is quite Lions standard

If Best isn't in the 23, who would be your starting and benching hookers then?

Just saw that now sorry. My starting hooker is Hibbard, the guy had a standout 6N and his darts are more than reliable. Benching hookers is a bit of a headache and perhaps I'm being a little harsh on Best. I'd take a gamble and go with Tom Youngs, good around the park with his throwing the only concern. Based on Best's current form (the lineout in particular) I'd leave him out of the 23 in favour of Youngs on the bench.

I'd go with Hibbard starting and Best on the bench. Hibbard and Adam Jones have been a great scrummaging partnership at club and international level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Video is dated now, Poc Capt and more changes after Bod play's this weekend, and Zebo back playing in form . Davie's picks were a piss take. SOB where ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

As per PR, here is the prelim Wallabies training squad. Not surprisingly there is no Quade Cooper. He's a busted flush internationally IMHO, so I agree with Robbie on this one. No George Smith, no Kurtley.

Wallabies preliminary squad:
    Jesse Mogg (Brumbies), Israel Folau (Waratahs), Digby Ioane (Reds), Joe Tomane (Brumbies), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs), Ben Tapuai (Reds), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies), Berrick Barnes (Waratahs), James O'Connor (Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Will Genia (Reds), Wycliff Palu (Waratahs), Fotu Auelua (Brumbies), Michael Hooper (Waratahs), Liam Gill (Reds), Dave Dennis (Waratahs), Scott Higginbotham (Rebels), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), Rob Simmons (Reds), James Horwill (Reds), Kane Douglas (Waratahs), Sitaleki Timani (Waratahs), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), James Slipper (Reds), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Benn Robinson (Waratahs), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs).

Delighted to see Lealiifano there, and the rumour is that JOC is being lined up for the 10 jersey.

What kind of 23 can you gleam from that squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Deano7788 wrote: »

Farrell covers 10 and 12, so you could pretend you're taking him as a 12 and take two pure 10s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement