Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Zebo and O Mahoney were outstanding tonight. Its not often Healy and SOB get put back in the tackle area but POM managed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Like if he wants to bring 3 9's and a versatile 10, bring Madigan! He can play 10, 12, and fullback. With the right coaching he could be the next James Hook! Except better, with better hair..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Like if he wants to bring 3 9's and a versatile 10, bring Madigan! He can play 10, 12, and fullback. With the right coaching he could be the next James Hook! Except better, with better hair..

I fear he will bring Laidlaw to cover 9 & 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think some of the comments on SOB are a tad unfair. I thought he got through a lot of dirty work and was forced to play a game that doesn't suit him; playing tight, static rugby. It also probably highlighted that he's probably weaker on the blindside than on the open. I think he's grown into a fantastic open side, when he has a bit of space to roam and causes havoc not the deck, also he's an underrated link man. At 6 we didn't see any of his barnstorming runs we're accustomed to, and as such probably looked out of place. But he trucked ball well and made is presence fell in the breakdown, especially n the last 20 min of his game. Don't think last night would do his chances of touring any harm.

Thought POM had a great game, really is edging towards the tour, he's got a great big game mentality and really is the epitome of a Munster man. However, he can look decidedly average in non-games, so my worry would be him getting a seat in the plane and then failing to impress in midweek games. So much competition in the backrow it's hard to see him getting a spot, but I think if he did he could be a decent option.

Also I thought BOD was muck. When I got to Thomond I thought we were screwed with the nose bleed seats, however it was a great 'generals' view of the game and specifically the defensive structure employed. One thing that stood out was how much BOD was trying to force his game defensively, he tried to break the line every time it went wide. He'd have been better off drifting to be honest. I think the problem is Leinster has employed drift defence in their last two games and its hurt them, BOD is obviously told to clean it up and offer himself as a shooter. Problem was he slipped almost all his tackles rather than killing the ball, and so Leinster lost a man and space and Munster shipped the ball on.

A hint of 'I'm above sticking to the basics' from him last night. Although I thought he jackal'd well and of course his commitment at the breakdown and fringes was outstanding. Scored a match winning try when a pack full of international test forwards could not. That alone will speak volumes and I think he'll tour.

Zebo and Mads must certainly peak the interest of Gatland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Winners:
    Zebo, R Kearney - both had similar games in that they had very little few chances in attack but worked hard in defence, made the right decisions etc.

Cian Healy - I thought he was very impressive, hopefully injury is nothing serious.

Ian Madigan - probably too late in the day to make a real case and not a night for an outhalf of his talents, but flawless with the boot and tackled like a tiger.

Losers:
    Paul O'Connell - played well but lost the head too often so definitely hurt his chances of captaincy. If the Kearney incident had happened anywhere other than Thomond...

Sean O'Brien - quiet to the point of anonymity

Jury out:
    O'Driscoll - a mixed evening, thought he shot out of the defensive line too often but redeemed himself with the sort of try that only he scores.

Anyone else?

I never thought I would say this but you could add Archer to the list of guys who did o.k. for themselves.

Edit; ...and Keatley. There is very little between our top 3 10's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jacothelad wrote: »
    I never thought I would say this but you could add Archer to the list of guys who did o.k. for themselves.

But he's not a lions candidate...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

But he's not a lions candidate...

Sorry, misread the post. Was simply thinking of last night's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

trouttrout wrote: »
    It's going to piss me off if Ashton gets in ahead of Zebo

I fancy that Wasps try scoring machine to travel...Christian Wade. Great finisher.

Ashton, although I dislike him, has been playing outstanding rugby over the past couple of weeks.

I fancy at least 2 of Bowe, Zebo and Gilroy to travel from the Irish contingent on the wing.

What's the story with Croft, is he back injured again? Or was he taken off the Toulon game as a precaution?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

Swiwi wrote: »
    Having watched a bit of the SXV now, I'd say the Wallabies will have a backline to match the Lions. Israel Folau is rapidly finding his feet in Union. For Robbie Deans, I reckon the series (?coaching) defining selection is his choice of 10. I wouldn't go with Cooper, but then you are probably looking at choosing an uncapped player at 10, unless you go with the makeshift Beale, O'Connor or steady Barnes.

Don't see the Lions forwards completely running all over the WBs either.

It promises to be a close series, which is exactly what I want to see - not a comfortable 3-0 win for either side.

Looks like he wont be going with Cooper which I think is a mistake, I think Israel Folau is going to be a major player in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

What kind of 23 can you gleam from that squad?

Sorry 'bout the delayed reply Thomond.

I'd go with the backs as follows

9. Genia, 10. JOC, 11. Digby, 12. Lealiifano, 13. AAC, 14. Tomane, 15. Mogg

Reserves: Folau, McCabe (or Barnes), White

I suspect RD will go with McCabe at 12 for his defence, though.

Haven't kept enough of an eye on the Aussie forwards to make a definitive pack selection, but Horwill is there as captain, anyway. I'm surprised G.Smith didn't make the squad, as he has been outstanding, but it might be his Japanese contractual issues. Otherwise I think Gill is playing better than Hooper at the moment in terms of 7.

NB: Henry Speight looks a very decent prospect for the Wallabies, but not eligible until end of 2013, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Yeah Smith is not eligble because of his Japanese contract and Speight is definitely ineligble, a pity for Aus.

Itoa wrote: »
    Looks like he wont be going with Cooper which I think is a mistake, I think Israel Folau is going to be a major player in the series.

I wouldn't have Cooper. I think the ABs got his number, and I reckon WG would just emulate that. He's a great SXV player, but I just don't think he has the mental fortitude, and especially kicking game for top-level international rugby.

Folau looks promising, but it is very early days in his rugby career so jury still out for me, but there's no doubt he's comfortable under the high ball, as you'd expect from an AFL player.

Didn't see the Ulster game on Friday, just wondering how Dan Lydiate got on? Is he going to be in the shake-up for the Lions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Didn't see the Ulster game on Friday, just wondering how Dan Lydiate got on? Is he going to be in the shake-up for the Lions?

He didn't have a great game imo. One of the commentators suggested Diack for the Lions simply because he performed better than lydiate.

If lydiate does go it will be on reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He didn't have a great game imo. One of the commentators suggested Diack for the Lions simply because he performed better than lydiate.

If lydiate does go it will be on reputation

Yeah, Lydiate might as well have not have played. Felatau was good. Obviously Diack for the Lions was a joke but it's maybe not so far fetched to suggest he could make the NA tour, depending on other players I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

I wouldn't have Cooper. I think the ABs got his number, and I reckon WG would just emulate that. He's a great SXV player, but I just don't think he has the mental fortitude, and especially kicking game for top-level international rugby.

Folau looks promising, but it is very early days in his rugby career so jury still out for me, but there's no doubt he's comfortable under the high ball, as you'd expect from an AFL player.

Only spent 2 years playing AFL, from a NRL back ground really. Was brilliant in his last state of origin series.

Just throwing this into the mix, but Australian SXV sides have faced NZ sides 7 times so far this season. And the stats: 6-1 in favour of the Aussies. The Australians won't be a pushover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just throwing this into the mix, but Australian SXV sides have faced NZ sides 7 times so far this season. And the stats: 6-1 in favour of the Aussies. The Australians won't be a pushover.

Jaysus no. Anyone writing off Aus is nuts.

danthefan wrote: »
    Jaysus no. Anyone writing off Aus is nuts.

Yeah, I'm impressed with the squad RD has chosen, I'd thought he'd stick purely to tried & true. Provided Aussie make the right choice at 10, I reckon they potentially have the better back line. They will have a very good 7, and Horwill is a great lock. It's really the rest of the tight 5, and maybe 6 & 8 where the Lions could hope for ascendancy. But unlike NZ or the Celtic Nations, who can be prone to self-doubt, it doesn't really exist in the Aussie psyche, and never give them an even break. At times there seems to be flavour in the NH of thinking it's just a matter of inflicting Marseille 2007 on the Aussies, and they'll crumple like a deck of cards. Their scrumming has improved, and the laws have moved on a bit, so I think that would be foolish thinking. There will almost certainly be good weather and a fast track underfoot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Agreed on it being madness to write them off. The Lions team will be mainly Welsh and English, and they've had no problem beating those players recently. I think it will end 2-1. No idea who in favour of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The Lions are the strong favourites with the bookies. I would agree with that.

I'd say a Welshman will be captain, reason being Gatland has said he's more or less picked him from a while back, this would rule the obvious canditate POC out.

Watching a few highlights of the super XV last night, Quade Cooper could still be in the reckoning for the Lions if he strings a few performances together. His try at the weekend was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

The whole SXV has been mental for shock results so far, eg. Western forces wins were against the Red and Crusaders. The lesser South African sides Kings and the Cheetahs have had some amazing results. The NZ sides seem to be not arsed at times unless they're playing one another.

Personally I think the most interesting call will be Dean's choice at 10 and the knock on effects elsewhere in the backs. James O'Connor has been very good attacking the line but his kicking is 70-75% this season and looks like he's Dean's choice. Lealiifano's kicking from the tee has been one of the reasons the Brumbies are top of the log so would take the kicks at 12 and allow JOC to do his thing. Tapui could be in with a shout if the Reds' form continues but unfortunately for him he's not a kicking option, though it would be an exciting 10/12 combo if he's paired with JOC. Barnes might have an outside chance of making 12 to take the kicking duties.

Then in the naughty corner there's Cooper and Beale. Beale has to wait for his "handlers" ok to return to rugby. I don't think he's going to make the Lions as he's not done enough before being stood down and time is against him regaining form especially as he's behind O'Connor at 10 for the Rebels. Quade Cooper's exclusion from the training squad hints that he won't get a look in no matter how well he plays for the Reds, an injury to JOC is probably the only way he'll get a look in and even then I don't think Deans will want to start him.

Another interesting thing I've read is the rivalry between the Red and Brumbies' players in the recent training camp due to their important clash this weekend. Full story here:
    http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2013/rugby/story/180618.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Based on Bookmakers odds here are the favs.Full back...1/2p,No 10 Sexton,No9 Philips,centres Roberts,Tuilagi,O Driscoll,Barrett,Davies[very close in betting]Wing Cuthbert,North, Prop Jones Healy,Cole.Hooker Best, Hibbert.2nd row O Connell,Jones,Parling,Gray.Back row Warburton, Faletou,Tipuric,SOB,Robshaw....Where one player is given means he is very short fav for that position.First named is the shortest odds and so on to the last named.This is an average of 10 bookmakers and the shortest priced Irish men are Paul O Connell 1/3 and Sexton 4/7 to start the first test.POC is now average fav 13/8 to lead the first test.I have a feeling this may change come Munsters next game in France as POC will have opposition in the line out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I could see someone like AWJ ending up as captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is there extra money involved if an Irish player is selected? I mean, if BOD (or whoever) is named as part of the squad, do the IRFU get a fee per Irish player travelling? If BOD was selected as captain, would they get an even larger fee? The fee being used to develop more homegrown talent or whatever the IRFU see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is there extra money involved if an Irish player is selected? I mean, if BOD (or whoever) is named as part of the squad, do the IRFU get a fee per Irish player travelling? If BOD was selected as captain, would they get an even larger fee? The fee being used to develop more homegrown talent or whatever the IRFU see fit.

Yeah the IRFU get a certain amount of money per player. I think its around 60K. I don't know if they get extra for captaincy.

Hrmm, there's extra money for the Irish players, but I don't know if the IRFU get in on that? Or is it split between the home nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You'd wonder how the Lions selectors will rate HEC (maybe Amlin) form vs 6N. You'd think the Welsh & Scottish players would be at a disadvantage because of - typically - being out of the running in the Euro competitions since January.

(Then again, the coming Euro semis could destroy the reputations of a number of English/Irish players too!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement