Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rightwing wrote: »
    Gatland cares, just like anyone would. His reputation is at stake here.
    If the Lions lose, no one will be able to say he didn't do the preparation. Did he need to spend a week with Wales training? I doubt it very much. But he has put the time in. The ultimate professional.

Okay, fine, you've ignored my points and you're strawman arguing, so let's just drop it shall we? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that if the tour is a losing one, the media will hang Gatland based on not appearing at an Amlin QF?

I understand you have to keep the act going, but your posts are beginning (generous) to get quite embarrassing.

I think you need to read the thread again.
    My point is, Gatland went to an Amlin match for the sake of going. No other reason. He knows all the players well, BOD/Sexton/Healy won't earn their place on the back of an Amlin.

.ak wrote: »
    Okay, fine, you've ignored my points and you're strawman arguing, so let's just drop it shall we? :)

If I ignored your points, it certainly wasn't intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I think you need to read the thread again.
    My point is, Gatland went to an Amlin match for the sake of going. No other reason. He knows all the players well, BOD/Sexton/Healy won't earn their place on the back of an Amlin.

No no, I think your point was to have a pop at the Amlin (Mickey Mouse tournament) but you forgot that Gatland attended the match, so then you had to back track and concoct a theory that he went for no reason, just to show face.

Could be wrong but that's how it reads to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think thay if someone came from out of nowhere now to put in a few great performances it might be just a little late to force selection.

But if Gatland didn't care about these games then why did he delay naming the squad and specifically reference these games as the reason?

• Advertisement

I think thay if someone came from out of nowhere now to put in a few great performances it might be just a little late to force selection.

But if Gatland didn't care about these games then why did he delay naming the squad and specifically reference these games as the reason?

That's a valid question, I think it was specifically for the likes of POC. It's not a question of whether he is good enough or not, but whether he comes through unscathed, it even has implications for the captaincy of the tour. I'm sure he will go to see Sexton play (but again you are looking at probably the Test 10 if he's fit enough).

No no, I think your point was to have a pop at the Amlin (Mickey Mouse tournament) but you forgot that Gatland attended the match, so then you had to back track and concoct a theory that he went for no reason, just to show face.

Could be wrong but that's how it reads to me.

No, I wasn't having a pop at the Amlin, because in the very same post I said the H Cup isn't very important for players who haven't already put their hands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

No, I wasn't having a pop at the Amlin, because in the very same post I said the H Cup isn't very important for players who haven't already put their hands up.

Calling a competition Mickey Mouse isn't having a pop at it?

Alrighty then.

Calling a competition Mickey Mouse isn't having a pop at it?

Alrighty then.

In terms of Lions selection, I'm afraid yes it is, most players touring will be tried and trusted internationals.

The likes of Sexton may need the Amlin and the Rabo playoffs, but make no mistake, he won't be picked because be hammered Biarritz, it'll be because he is 1 of the best 10's in the world, and has been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »

Surely they got Tuohy and Henderson mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Karl Pilkington to the rescue!

242.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Oh, I see George Smith is available to face the Lions...if required. I would have him into the Wallabies squad in a shot, will be interesting to see if my fellow Canterburian is of the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Swiwi wrote: »
    Oh, I see George Smith is available to face the Lions...if required. I would have him into the Wallabies squad in a shot, will be interesting to see if my fellow Canterburian is of the same opinion.

Just looked him up as I figured he must be ancient at this point, he's only 32!

According to wiki he was the youngest player ever to accumulate 100 caps at the age of 29. Seems like he's been around forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe it's just me if but I hate to see all these great players going to Japan like George Smith and Jaque Fourie, as fans we then don't get to see them play. I can totally understand why they go though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

What is the coverage of the Japanese league like? I'd be interested.

danthefan wrote: »
    Just looked him up as I figured he must be ancient at this point, he's only 32!

According to wiki he was the youngest player ever to accumulate 100 caps at the age of 29. Seems like he's been around forever.

He's also in the form of his life, Dan. Don't think I've ever seen him play better. Don't think his age should be an issue for this series. I think he made his debut about age 19 or 20, but like yourself, if asked I would have said 34 or 35.

You should try and catch Reds v Brumbies this weekend - Gill v Smith is a battle in itself.

Teferi wrote: »
    What is the coverage of the Japanese league like? I'd be interested.

Don't think there is any, at least not outside of Japan. TBH, it's supposed to at kind of club/schoolboy level - fun to watch, but not particulary high quality. Demented mole has just put out a nice piece on it.

http://dementedmole.com/2013/04/10/whereve-all-the-rude-boys-gone-japan/

He didn't have a great game imo. One of the commentators suggested Diack for the Lions simply because he performed better than lydiate.

If lydiate does go it will be on reputation

It's funny how the mighty have fallen. A few months back you couldn't read a bad word about Lydiate on this forum. Haven't seen him play recently, so can't comment, but it appears that he's nowhere near his previous level at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Swiwi wrote: »
    It's funny how the mighty have fallen. A few months back you couldn't read a bad word about Lydiate on this forum. Haven't seen him play recently, so can't comment, but it appears that he's nowhere near his previous level at present.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I think it's mostly to do with him having missed the entire 6 Nations through injury and having a slow start back with the Dragons with no European platform to display his abilities on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but I think it's mostly to do with him having missed the entire 6 Nations through injury and having a slow start back with the Dragons with no European platform to display his abilities on.

Been a shocking end of the season for the Dragons, even by their standards. Although Faletau did OK against Ulster I should add

• Advertisement

Swan Curry wrote: »

Well just reading a few comment back and he was getting a bit slated. I'm not denying what you've written, but he was almost the second coming for a while there. I'd take a fit Stephen Ferris any day over Lydiate, but I guess Kiwis like their big abrasive 6s like Kaino, and the workhorse style player like Reuben Thorne, Taine Randell never really gets accepted by the NZ public, and I find Lydiate a bit the same style.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

Goerge Smith is only 32??

Jeez if he was from Munster he'd only be young bucko breaking into the team.

Hottowel wrote: »
    Goerge Smith is only 32??

Jeez if he was from Munster he'd only be young bucko breaking into the team.

No, that's Ireland ;)

At least it was.

I hear there might be a new coach...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Would nearly be a shame if he didnt play against the Lions this yr, but unless Oz make an exception to the non-foreign contracted players rule than it wont happen unfortunately. Even if Pocock was fit i think he'd start 8 with Pocock 7. He's too good to leave out. He was written off going back to superrugby after relatively unsuccessful stint in France and playing in a relatively 'softer' league in Japan but he's shown the class player he is and deserves a crack at the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Would nearly be a shame if he didnt play against the Lions this yr, but unless Oz make an exception to the non-foreign contracted players rule than it wont happen unfortunately. Even if Pocock was fit i think he'd start 8 with Pocock 7. He's too good to leave out. He was written off going back to superrugby after relatively unsuccessful stint in France and playing in a relatively 'softer' league in Japan but he's shown the class player he is and deserves a crack at the Lions

Apparently he's eligible now after his loan deal was extended.

http://www.planetrugby.com/lions-09/story/0,25883,3824_8644001,00.html

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Apparently he's eligible now after his loan deal was extended.

http://www.planetrugby.com/lions-09/story/0,25883,3824_8644001,00.html

I thought, but could be miles off the mark......that he'd have to transfer to Oz, not a loan due to him being a Japanese registered player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I thought, but could be miles off the mark......that he'd have to transfer to Oz, not a loan due to him being a Japanese registered player

It seems that he just has to be playing in Oz while the Lions are touring. I'm not definite on that but that's the way it's being reported everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm guessing Drew Mitchell will still be eligible despite signing for Toulon.

I'm guessing Drew Mitchell will still be eligible despite signing for Toulon.

Difference being he's still contracted to the Tahs whilst Smith is still contracted to his Japanese club whilst on loan at Brumbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

And Burgess is eligble despite the fact he'll still be playing in France.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement