Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

This is an hilarious thread, clearly I won't mention any individual's bizarre selections for fear of robust moderation but keep it up lads some real howlers & very very funny.

The guy who said a lot can happen in the next year gets my vote as a sage.

great contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Warburton is almost a dead cert for captain, what with Gatland as coach.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Warburton is almost a dead cert for captain, what with Gatland as coach.

I'm not really sure.

He's got a few things going against him in that regard:

He's very injury prone and another inconsistent season in that regard will raise questions over his durability

He's not a garunteed starter. The hype around him after the World Cup was way OTT in my opinion and I think he was behind Tipuric, SOB and Armitage in terms of form 7's last year

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The bookies certainly seem to think Warburtons a cert.

I don't think he's behind SOB or Tipuric. He's an absolutely superb 7 and he was fantastic in the world cup. He's certainly better than Tipuric thanks to his added power. He's well ahead of SOB for the 7 jersey.

I'd have Armitage ahead of him, I'd have Armitage ahead of most people though. Dunno if Gatland would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

what i think it should be:
    1: Healy
    2: Best
    3: Jones
    4: Grey
    5: Aw Jones
    6: Ferris
    7: Warburton (if not injured)
    8: O'Brien (Not many have him at 8 but will allow him to run more which is the best part of his game)
    9: Phillips
    10: Sexton
    11: North
    12: Roberts (if not injured)
    13: BOD (C)
    14: Bowe
    15: Kearney

Forwards:
    PR- Jenkins will be in the running for starting at prop if released
    HK- Ross Ford will give Best competition at hooker
    SR- POC if fit will be in contention along with Courtney Lawes
    BR- I really do think David Denton if he has another season like last one will be up there along with Chris Robshaw who i dont think you can count out at all if he continues playing the way he is.. Dan Lydiate also. Very stiff competition in Back Row!

Backs:
    SH: Not many quality SH about in the British Isles at the moment. Ben Youngs will probably travel maybe Danny Care?
    FH: Don't think Cipriani should travel as he can often loose it in games. Toby Flood will be in contention with Rhys Priestland possibly James Hook for his Lions experience too?
    CT: Manu Tuilagi will probably travel along with Jonathan Davies whos in great form.. another area of competition!
    WG: Alex Cuthbert will be in contention along with Chris Ashton, Visser and i also like the look of Christian Wade the young English and Wasps winger.
    FB: With Kearney playing so well i cant see him not starting guys like Ben Foden and Stuart Hogg will have to have the season of their lives to stop Leigh Halfpenny getting the other FB spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

According to PP odds, this is the most likely first test lineup:

Healy, Hartley, Jones, Gray, POC, Robshaw, Warburton (c), SOB;
    Phillips, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Cuthbert, Kearney

That's 6 Welsh, 5 Irish, 3 English and 1 Scot.

Obviously SOB and Robshaw's odds are helped by the fact they can play across the backrow and because Robshaw is second favourite to be captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think if the odds were for out and out back row positions you'd see Lydiate and Heaslip at 6 and 8 with the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This is an hilarious thread, clearly I won't mention any individual's bizarre selections for fear of robust moderation but keep it up lads some real howlers & very very funny.

The guy who said a lot can happen in the next year gets my vote as a sage.

Solids contribution. Everyone is aware that there is an entire season to play and if we all agreed on the line up then being a fan of rugby would be very boring.

How about you put a select 23 down before criticising someone elses?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Obviously SOB and Robshaw's odds are helped by the fact they can play across the backrow and because Robshaw is second favourite to be captain.

I'm not disagreeing with that necessarily but I hope that threequarter line never plays, as subtle as a brick. Maybe thats the way it will go but thon is the buldgeon not the rapier. Will need Sexton, assuming he is the man simply to play position & release big runners when in position. The English way with Welsh players.

All Oz need for that lot is a defence that can tackle and they are halfway home & hosed.

I do think Gatland will play a lot of Welsh players as they are used to his type of game.

Possibly the 2 outstanding choices for captain are teh most likely players to miss a pile of games this year through their habitual proneness to injury.

With my Ulster hat on, if he is nursed through the season without too many more injury worries Ferris will not see anyone in his way for teh 6 shirt, Warburton is the same as is POC.

Interesting no one seems to believe Tommy Bowe is worth considering in what I have read, I believe he will be a shoo-in once his wee heart is beating normally and he is piling in the tries in white & in green.

Teferi wrote: »
    Solids contribution. Everyone is aware that there is an entire season to play and if we all agreed on the line up then being a fan of rugby would be very boring.

How about you put a select 23 down before criticising someone elses?

My friend, if you could but read you would notice I didn't criticise anyone's selection, tempting as some may well have been. I will find humour where I see it & I don't believe that should trouble you or indeed is any of your business.

I won't bother accepting your invitation to name a 23, mainly because it is pointless but also because I don't really take too much interest in the Lions, frankly I don't much care if they win or lose. I couldn't bring myself to support a team with Tuilagi in it for example, let alone Hartley.

The highlights of my season will be Ulster & Ireland, if I see the Lions so be it , if not, I don't much care.

Be cool.:cool:

• Advertisement

I would be very surprised if Robshaw turns out to be a test starter, ditto Cipriani and Marler. Healy's chances depend hugely on Gethin Jenkins' absence and if Earls starts a test it will be on the wing.

I don't know if Richie Gray has any captaining experience, but if Mike Phillips is named tour captain, I'll delete my boards.ie account because it would mean I know nothing about rugby. There are at least 10 people who would be captain ahead of him.

Leg end, I couldn't agree more about Phillips, the last thing you can afford is an indisciplined captain, he has as much as no chance & in many ways, he might like the honour but I doubt he would want the responsiblity.

My friend, if you could but read you would notice I didn't criticise anyone's selection, tempting as some may well have been. I will find humour where I see it & I don't believe that should trouble you or indeed is any of your business.

I won't bother accepting your invitation to name a 23, mainly because it is pointless but also because I don't really take too much interest in the Lions, frankly I don't much care if they win or lose. I couldn't bring myself to support a team with Tuilagi in it for example, let alone Hartley.

The highlights of my season will be Ulster & Ireland, if I see the Lions so be it , if not, I don't much care.

Be cool.:cool:

why have you dedicated 3 very condescending posts to the Lions thread so?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Jeeaysus..

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Jeeaysus..

Wouldn't bother me if Cuthbert started.

I really don't think there's much between him and North

Tuilagi has lived in England for many years, I much prefer his situation than the project player crap. I'd be more happy to see Tuilagi than Strauss, personally.

Given the mess that the Samoan national team is in, I can't blame Manu for deciding to play for England instead.

Backaway, do you put the likes of Visser or Strauss in the same bracket as Tuilagi and Hartley?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This is only slightly related to your post Thomond but if I see Tuilagi picked for the Lions I will be sick. An extremely limited player that offers little other than bish-bash-bosh rugby which isn't the kind of rugby I want to see played against Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me if Cuthbert started.

I really don't think there's much between him and North

Indeed. Cuthbert on a decent team has already proved he's a top class winger. I think he'd thrive nicely in a Lions shirt. As it stands, Bowe's our only decent chance of having an Irish player on the wing*, and to be honest Cuthbert has more in his arsenal....

*Fitz and Earls would also be candidates depending on their injury status/form.

Teferi wrote: »
    This is only slightly related to your post Thomond but if I see Tuilagi picked for the Lions I will be sick. An extremely limited player that offers little other than bish-bash-bosh rugby which isn't the kind of rugby I want to see played against Oz.

Who would you start at 13? Personally it would be great if Hogg would get a run there for Glasgow and Scotland but unfortunately he's out for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Who would you start at 13? Personally it would be great if Hogg would get a run there for Glasgow and Scotland but unfortunately he's out for 2 months.

I was really impressed with Hogg, the few times I saw him. I hope Scotland leave him at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I can see the logic if Gatland goes for big men, Cuthbert, North, J Davies, Tuilagi etc. in the backline as it's easier to gel a team together with simpler tactics rather than trying for more incisive back play which might never come off. I don't know what it is but Australia have a knack of beating teams that play that style, think of their wins over South Africa and Wales. There is a nearly ready made centre partnership in Jamie Roberts and BOD who were fairly awesome as a centre pairing in the last tour. Hopefully they'll get a chance to start together in a test and wreak havoc.

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    why have you dedicated 3 very condescending posts to the Lions thread so?

Quite simple really, a smart chap like yourself shouldn't have a problem working it out. It s called freedom of speech & if you check the forum rules you will probably see that there is nothing there to prohibit comment on any thread, its not limited to ones you are positive about.

Tuilagi has lived in England for many years, I much prefer his situation than the project player crap. I'd be more happy to see Tuilagi than Strauss, personally.

Given the mess that the Samoan national team is in, I can't blame Manu for deciding to play for England instead.

Backaway, do you put the likes of Visser or Strauss in the same bracket as Tuilagi and Hartley?

Think you may have picked me up incorrectly Thomond, my inability to support a team including Tuilagi &/or Hartley has nothing to do with their ethnicity or place of birth & everything to do with despising them as rugby players.

In turn that is nothing to do with their "Englishness" and everything to do with the liking of both of them for as many cheap shots as they can get away with, Hartley is a cowardly thug prone to blindside attacks whereas Tuilagi has a particular liking for no arms "tackles & of course teh typical SSI high tackles.

Just not my cup of cocoa.

AS for the likes of Strauss & Visser, I don't have a great problem with residency qualification, its certainly better than the previous rules which saw double internationals which was sadly responsible for bringing the hated Brian Spide Smith to these shores.

I'd be particularly sympathetic to the likes of Visser for obvious reasons, Holland aren't going to me a major player in rugby during his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Barring a significant loss of form, Tuilagi will tour and rightly so. He doesn't have much variety to his game but he doesn't need to. He's well over 17 stone, he's 21 and he does serious damage. He's only going to get better. Two tries yesterday just re-enforces his credentials.

GerM wrote: »
    Barring a significant loss of form, Tuilagi will tour and rightly so. He doesn't have much variety to his game but he doesn't need to. He's well over 17 stone, he's 21 and he does serious damage. He's only going to get better. Two tries yesterday just re-enforces his credentials.

With respect Ger, 2 tries against Worcester is hardly relevant in Lions terms, the weakest fixture will be against better than them. I would agree mind you that he will tour, but hopefully not as a starter, I hate bish bash rugby, unless of course Ulster or Ireland need it from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quite simple really, a smart chap like yourself shouldn't have a problem working it out. It s called freedom of speech & if you check the forum rules you will probably see that there is nothing there to prohibit comment on any thread, its not limited to ones you are positive about.

... and if YOU check the Forum Rules here
    you'll see we have a rule that states the following:
    there is a general Boards.ie rule, the all encompassing "Don't be a Dick" rule. So, just don't be a dick.

I'm getting bored of your posting style. You can voice your opinion without condescending comments like the bolded part of your quoted message. Anymore of it and you'll be taking a break from the forum.

The rest of you - don't argue on thread, if you have an issue with a post Report it. I've given enough warnings on this - any more will result in infractions.

.ak wrote: »
    ... and if YOU check the Forum Rules here
    you'll see we have a rule that states the following:

I'm getting bored of your posting style. You can voice your opinion without condescending comments like the bolded part of your quoted message. Anymore of it and you'll be taking a break from the forum.

The rest of you - don't argue on thread, if you have an issue with a post Report it. I've given enough warnings on this - any more will result in infractions.

Well then we have a meeting of minds, I am bored with your petty schoolyard moderation, if you bothered to look this, Fishooks12 is the same individual who was involved in our last exchange of views and it appears you are content to allow him to label me and have a little go, yet when I reply in similar vein suddenly I feel you hot breath on my neck.

I assume you moderate on the basis of last in first out, very democratic.

I suggest you simply delete me from your kindergarten. I understand that you would not want this forum to go the way of previous forums but really you need to get out more. I have not begun to be offensive, neither did I intend to be or become so.

This is just childish. farewell, I'm outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd go along with whoever is saying it's mad to be picking a team at this stage. If you look at the backrow for example there are some real quality players who aren't even going to make the squad, never mind the test side.

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd go along with whoever is saying it's mad to be picking a team at this stage. If you look at the backrow for example there are some real quality players who aren't even going to make the squad, never mind the test side.

It's fun speculating. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Warren Gatland & Rob Howley were in Toulan on Friday and had lunch with Gethin Jenkins and Bernard Leporte, thats was an interesting conversation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement