Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

Teferi wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not how bookmakers works at all. I'm sure Emmet can educate us further if he sees it.

nope. Not telling nobody ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's because you know who the captain is, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

danthefan wrote: »
    This just makes no sense to me. If POC was favourite due to a leak and inside money, why is Warburton favourite now? Also because of a leak and inside money? So which one is captain and which isn't?

Can't find anyone with POC any better than third in the odds now for captain.

A link to this would be helpful.

I would contend that POC was favourite on exuberance factor after Quins match, media pundits, and his reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Rightwing wrote: »
    They do, Gatland & his team knows, and you can be sure inside money has gone on the captain.

The likes of you and I don't know, but usually when you see a price drop dramatically, inside info money has gone on, e.g. Schmidt went from 9/1 to 4/9 in no time after big money went on him.

It's certainly between the 4 names you've mentionned.

That's not true, big bets or media stories would make a difference though.
    Don't believe in this 'inside money' concept, there'd only be a select few that know or have an inclination before the bookies do, and if they were to be seen putting money on, there'd be serious ****.

In any case, in most of these markets (Irish football manager, next Irish capt, next Irish manager), you'll see big price changes, does everyone have 'inside' info or what?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I would contend that POC was favourite on exuberance factor after Quins match, media pundits, and his reputation.

He wasn't saying POC was favorite on inside knowledge :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The likes of you and I don't know, but usually when you see a price drop dramatically, inside info money has gone on, e.g. Schmidt went from 9/1 to 4/9 in no time after big money went on him.

Didn't McKenzie get slashed at one point as well?

Are there two different groups of people with inside info?

That's not true, big bets or media stories would make a difference though.
    Don't believe in this 'inside money' concept, there'd only be a select few that know or have an inclination before the bookies do, and if they were to be seen putting money on, there'd be serious ****.

In any case, in most of these markets (Irish football manager, next Irish capt, next Irish manager), you'll see big price changes, does everyone have 'inside' info or what?!

And that's exactly what the bookies will watch for in this market,,,the big bet, the telltale sign.

Didn't McKenzie get slashed at one point as well?

Are there two different groups of people with inside info?

Of course. But it depends on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It was you who brought up "inside money"!

<insert Mugatu crazy pills meme here>

• Advertisement

It was you who brought up "inside money"!

<insert Mugatu crazy pills meme here>

Oh dear. You post is both offensive and inaccurate. I never said inside money went on POC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Oh dear. You post is both offensive and inaccurate. I never said inside money went on POC.

diggin dat hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Offensive posts should be reported.

No, you didn't say that POC was the subject of inside money, but nor did Danthefan, he said "this makes no sense to me". You were asking him to provide a link to something he was saying was nonsense! How would he do that?!

Read the thread, the only person making any inference of inside money on anyone is you.

Offensive posts should be reported.

No, you didn't say that POC was the subject of inside money, but nor did Danthefan, he said "this makes no sense to me". You were asking him to provide a link to something he was saying was nonsense! How would he do that?!

Read the thread, the only person making any inference of inside money on anyone is you.

I did ask a Mod to remove that post.

And that's exactly what the bookies will watch for in this market,,,the big bet, the telltale sign.

Telltale sign of what?
    You're not making much sense here at all!

Telltale sign of what?
    You're not making much sense here at all!

Ok, to clear up: Gatland knows who is captain, so for instance, if he were talking to someone like S Barnes, and inadvertently says 'it will be a new Lions captain', or a 'forward' then you would see money go on the likes of AWN & Warburton. Maybe inside info isn't the correct term for that.

It would be wrong of me to suggest Gatland has done anything other than that. But I would think during the course of interviews people will be picking things up from him.

Ok, to clear up: Gatland knows who is captain, so for instance, if he were talking to someone like S Barnes, and inadvertently says 'it will be a new Lions captain', or a 'forward' then you would see money go on the likes of AWN & Warburton. Maybe inside info isn't the correct term for that.

It would be wrong of me to suggest Gatland has done anything other than that. But I would think during the course of interviews people will be picking things up from him.

So ... guess work?

.ak wrote: »
    So ... guess work?

Of course, say he says 'I was really pleased with the Welsh captain for 2011 W cup', you could then hazard a guess.

Of course, say he says 'I was really pleased with the Welsh captain for 2011 W cup', you could then hazard a guess.

WTF are you on about?
    How is that in any way 'inside info'!

Essentially what you're saying is some people put big bets on based on what the manager says in the press and that moves the market!

Right, yeah, but this was your earlier post:
    POC was favourite after the Quins game with paddypower, but it looks like it's between Warburton and AWJ now. I don't think the incident has any bearing on it.

So really, PP/better's guess work has no bearing on who's going to be the next coach, because it's, as you say, guess work... just like what we're all doing right now. :)

• Advertisement

Right, yeah, but this was your earlier post:

So really, PP/better's guess work has no bearing on who's going to be the next coach, because it's, as you say, guess work... just like what we're all doing right now. :)

We're guessing, PP is reacting to it. The 1 thing I'm surprised about is BOD is joint favourite, when that link someone posted today, they said it's going be a forward. I'm inclined to think Warburton will be the man and his price will shorten. (and I know earlier I said AWJ), but there's a reason he's drifting out to 7/1.

We're guessing, PP is reacting to it. The 1 thing I'm surprised about is BOD is joint favourite, when that link someone posted today, they said it's going be a forward. I'm inclined to think Warburton will be the man and his price will shorten. (and I know earlier I said AWJ), but there's a reason he's drifting out to 7/1.

Yeah so you understand why other posters are confused, because earlier you said what PP have is favorite weighs in heavily with who'll get the coaching spot, but infact it's just them reacting to us (betters) guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I've mentioned it before but I've been keeping an eye on BBC comments sections one thing I noticed is that there is a lot of support for BOD (from predominantly English/Welsh posters). Not suggesting this is what Gatland is thinking, but couple that with his obvious popularity here and there could be a lot of people putting money on him.

Yeah so you understand why other posters are confused, because earlier you said what PP have is favorite weighs in heavily with who'll get the coaching spot, but infact it's just them reacting to us (betters) guessing...

That's where I disagree with the others. You or I won't be able to move the market. Whereas a big punter can instantly change this market from 1 discussion with Gatland.

That's where I disagree with the others. You or I won't be able to move the market. Whereas a big punter can instantly change this market from 1 discussion with Gatland.

More like the thousands and thousands of people listening to said convo sticking a fiver on it...

Tox56 wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before but I've been keeping an eye on BBC comments sections one thing I noticed is that there is a lot of support for BOD (from predominantly English/Welsh posters). Not suggesting this is what Gatland is thinking, but couple that with his obvious popularity here and there could be a lot of people putting money on him.

I agree, I can see why people would have backed BOD up to when Gatland has said the captain will be a forward.
    But now it's looking extremely unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree, I can see why people would have backed BOD up to when Gatland has said the captain will be a forward.

When did he say that (genuine question)?

More like the thousands and thousands of people listening to said convo sticking a fiver on it...

That could be true too, but we'll keep an eye on it. I'm expecting Warburton's price to shorten from now on. I'm surprised AWJ has gone out to 7/1, there must be a reason for this.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    When did he say that (genuine question)?

It's more or less in this clip:

http://www.planetrugby.com/video/0,25862,15715_8632335,00.html

• Advertisement

BOD's pretty much a forward now anyway. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement