Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

.ak wrote: »
    BOD's pretty much a forward now anyway. ;)

Reminds me of Sona Taumalolo, the way he sniffs out tries at close range these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Tickets are crazily expensive........

jacothelad wrote: »
    Tickets are crazily expensive........

You sound surprised Jaco. Or should that be you read surprised ;) The tickets were always going to be milked for the maximum gain possible, I'd say your average Australian rugby fan will struggle to get affordable tickets for the big games, much like RWC 2011 tickets for the knockout games were beyond the reach of the ordinary people. I'm starting to sound like someone from people-before-profit, so I better stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Swiwi wrote: »
    You sound surprised Jaco. Or should that be you read surprised ;) The tickets were always going to be milked for the maximum gain possible, I'd say your average Australian rugby fan will struggle to get affordable tickets for the big games, much like RWC 2011 tickets for the knockout games were beyond the reach of the ordinary people. I'm starting to sound like someone from people-before-profit, so I better stop!

There will be plenty of expats there regardless of price

Rightwing wrote: »
    There will be plenty of expats there regardless of price

Exactly. It will be like a Munster away game in the HEC - a sea of red, despite it being an away fixture, and a few of those vomit-coloured Aussie jerseys poking out here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Reminds me of Sona Taumalolo, the way he sniffs out tries at close range these days.

My favourite moment from the match last weekend was a phase or two before he scored the try he tried a pick and go, was tackled, and then somehow wriggled out of it like an eel, causing chaos on the Munster line with bodies flying in from everywhere..

Here: http://youtu.be/Jp1BSfSgyUA?t=8m57s

His ability to force a try from 2-3 yards is remarkable, won us the Grand Slam in 09.. could do with that on the Lions..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tox56 wrote: »
    My favourite moment from the match last weekend was a phase or two before he scored the try he tried a pick and go, was tackled, and then somehow wriggled out of it like an eel, causing chaos on the Munster line with bodies flying in from everywhere..

Here: http://youtu.be/Jp1BSfSgyUA?t=8m57s

His ability to force a try from 2-3 yards is remarkable, won us the Grand Slam in 09.. could do with that on the Lions..

Hahah yeah I laughed at that. Thought he would've scored when he wriggled free, but POC was there. In time it takes POC to get up BOD has already wormed free and scored a try. He's an absolute honey-badger when he can smell the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes but £900 for two tickets.

It's a bloody rip-off, I totally agree. I would want a corporate box, and champagne by the bucketload at that price. And definitely not Victoria Bitter or Fosters!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd want what Michael O'Leary once promised for his first class tickets in transatlantic flights! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's a serious amount of money being made from the Lions. While it's to be expected to a degree it's also worrying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There's a serious amount of money being made from the Lions. While it's to be expected to a degree it's also worrying.

Well its why the Lions will never end, regardless of poor results or tours disappearing in the professional game.

We're guessing, PP is reacting to it. The 1 thing I'm surprised about is BOD is joint favourite, when that link someone posted today, they said it's going be a forward. I'm inclined to think Warburton will be the man and his price will shorten. (and I know earlier I said AWJ), but there's a reason he's drifting out to 7/1.

Warburton is gone to 4/9 overnight, looks like a done deal to me. I knew his price would shorten, but not so quickly.

5 Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales).

He'll be the captain, priced at 4/1 last time I checked.
    Warburton is gone to 4/9 overnight, looks like a done deal to me. I knew his price would shorten, but not so quickly.

Jackie-Chan-Meme.png

The betting flutters with the general public laying on bets... It's not a clear indication on who's getting captain. If that was the case, then why would it change between AWJ and Warburton?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

And yet less than 24 hours ago you thought AWJ would be captain.

Bookmakers odds quite literally mean nothing. They are trying to give you the best value in order to lay down bets, they do not have an inside track. Jesus.

Teferi wrote: »
    And yet less than 24 hours ago you thought AWJ would be captain.

Bookmakers odds quite literally mean nothing. They are trying to give you the best value in order to lay down bets, they do not have an inside track. Jesus.

I haven't really followed the Lions captaincy much.
    I thought AWJ would be, but then I looked at the way the market was moving and quickly knew that Warburton was the man. Many people won't understand this. The information is known, that's why I'm often surprised bookies even take on these type of bets.

His odds will shorten further and soon they will close the book.

I haven't really followed the Lions captaincy much.
    I thought AWJ would be, but then I looked at the way the market was moving and quickly knew that Warburton was the man. Many people won't understand this. The information is known, that's why I'm often surprised bookies even take on these type of bets.

His odds will shorten further and soon they will close the book.

But why was AWJ bookies favourite a few days ago?

I'd say you're a bookies wet dream Rightwing! :D

But why was AWJ bookies favourite a few days ago?

I'd say you're a bookies wet dream Rightwing! :D

:)

He wasn't , he was my favourite. He was 4/1, but then moved out to 7/1. That should never happen. When I saw that happen I'm of the opinion he can't be captain. BOD's price is out to 7/2, that also shouldn't be happening if he's a serious contender.

I'm of the opinion Gatland has let the cat of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

A professional punter said on BBC talk sport yesterday "Warburton will be captain with Wales having the greatest number followed by England with Scotland/Ireland making up the rest".Not much of his time was taken up by rugby but he seems to imply that the test team will consist mainly Welsh/English and maybe one Irish.I rang a bookies odds compiler to find out and his reaction to Warburton as captain "done deal".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

sting60 wrote: »
    A professional punter said on BBC talk sport yesterday "Warburton will be captain with Wales having the greatest number followed by England with Scotland/Ireland making up the rest".Not much of his time was taken up by rugby but he seems to imply that the test team will consist mainly Welsh/English and maybe one Irish.I rang a bookies odds compiler to find out and his reaction to Warburton as captain "done deal".

Warburton as Captain gets a "Meh" from me. Considering the likelihood of only 1 or 2 irish travelling(if that pundit is correct) It'll be BOD or Sexton getting the nod.

• Advertisement

Garseys wrote: »
    Warburton as Captain gets a "Meh" from me. Considering the likelihood of only 1 or 2 irish travelling(if that pundit is correct) It'll be BOD or Zebo getting the nod.

Zebo over Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Zebo over Sexton?

*facepalm*

What was I thinking?:rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

two irish in the whole squad............. there will be more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If he started talking about a starting test team, I'd say he's talking through his hole. No chance Gatland of all people has picked his side

Gatland will try and bring as many possible top end players to tour, with a view of letting them prove themselves in the club games leading up to the tests. The only certain come April 30th will be the tour captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    two irish in the whole squad............. there will be more than that
    No this was his test team.

Ah well then - Gatland doesn't know who's going to be in the test squad, because the Lions haven't even played a game yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's a punters opinion, nothing more

This makes sense to me, no way could Warburton's price have moved so big without something coming out.

• Advertisement

POC/Sexton/Healy/Best should all make the Test team if fit imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement