Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Rightwing wrote: »
    This makes sense to me, no way could Warburton's price have moved so big without something coming out.

Nonsense, he went from 6/1 to 11/10 in the few hours after the last six nations game

You saying that was insider info too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

trouttrout wrote: »
    Nonsense, he went from 6/1 to 11/10 in the few hours after the last six nations game

Essentially you are talking complete nonsense if Warburton is captain. I'm talking complete nonsense if he isn't.

Time will tell who knows and who doesn't.

Essentially you are talking complete nonsense if Warburton is captain. I'm talking complete nonsense if he isn't.

No........ anyway I'll leave it there, only one person here talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not exactly. The centre of the argument is that the bookies odds isn't an actual indicator...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

POC/Sexton/Healy/Best should all make the Test team if fit imo.

Can't see Best making it tbh.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Not exactly. The centre of the argument is that the bookies odds isn't an actual indicator...

Under normal circumstances I would agree it's not an actual indicator. But this is entirely different, the information is known. That's why I'll be stunned if Warburton is not captain, the price movements indicates Gatland has left the cat out of the bag.

Can't see Best making it tbh.

I'd go with Best, but the other 3 must be certain of a starting place, that's assuming Sexton is fit, which I hope he proves over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Under normal circumstances I would agree it's not an actual indicator. But this is entirely different, the information is known. That's why I'll be stunned if Warburton is not captain, the price movements indicates Gatland has left the cat out of the bag.

I still have absolutely no idea what point your trying to make here!

Who 'knows' this information?

Betting with insider information is, in many cases, illegal, and certainly isn't the reason for major price movements, just as major price movements aren't a good indicator in a market like this.

Actually, there's a huge amount of money to be made in this market for a speculator with contacts. One small fabricated leak to the press could mean a huge price change.

I still have absolutely no idea what point your trying to make here!

Who 'knows' this information?

Betting with insider information is, in many cases, illegal, and certainly isn't the reason for major price movements, just as major price movements aren't a good indicator in a market like this.

Actually, there's a huge amount of money to be made in this market for a speculator with contacts. One small fabricated leak to the press could mean a huge price change.

You are basically answering your own questions.

What information is known and how can you back it up?

I mean this is ridiculous, you know no more than anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

You are basically answering your own questions.

What?! A speculator doesn't necessarily have 'inside' info!

What?! A speculator doesn't necessarily have 'inside' info!

a 'speculator',,,,,with 'contacts' (i.e. Gatland!)

And bingo, your there's your 'huge money'

a 'speculator',,,,,with 'contacts' (i.e. Gatland!)

And bingo, your there's your 'huge money'

Warburton is 4/9. If there was inside info from someone like Gatland and a few huge punts made on him he'd be a hell of a lot shorter than that

POC was 4/7 at one stage last week, more inside info?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My brain just leaked out of my ears.

What information is known and how can you back it up?

I mean this is ridiculous, you know no more than anyone else

I've never been asked a more simple question in my life.

Gatland knows who is captain. So the information is known. The real question is, has Gatland inadvertently let it slip. I believe so.

Now, that shouldn't be confused with me having information. I have none.

Gatland knows who is captain. So the information is known. The real question is, has Gatland inadvertently let it slip. I believe so.

Well that much is painfully obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

No he doesn't. He has a preference I am sure, but Warburton might knacker his cruciate this weekend for all we know. Nothing is ever set in stone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

davidpfitz wrote: »
    No he doesn't. He has a preference I am sure, but Warburton might knacker his cruciate this weekend for all we know. Nothing is ever set in stone.

No AFAIK he mentioned in an interview recently he had already picked his captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

almighty1 wrote: »
    No AFAIK he mentioned in an interview recently he had already picked his captain.

Gatland's choice of captain dies in a car accident tomorrow. Will Gatland bring the coffin on tour to perform captaincy duties?

Gatland has a pick but there is no guarantee that that person will be fit for the tour.

almighty1 wrote: »

He also said he had picked him from a good while back, this has almost certainly eliminated POC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

11/4 Thursday morning 10.43am according to ave bookie odds.POC 13/8 BOD 2/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Gatland's choice of captain dies in a car accident tomorrow. Will Gatland bring the coffin on tour to perform captaincy duties?

Gatland has a pick but there is no guarantee that that person will be fit for the tour.

And even if he tours, if that player has a collapse in form in the midweek games, will he still captain the Test side?

who_me wrote: »
    And even if he tours, if that player has a collapse in form in the midweek games, will he still captain the Test side?

Yes, Gatland said he wants his captain in the Test team, this may rule out BOD as captain as a lot would have Roberts and Tuilagi in ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Zebo over Sexton?

Dunno.. I quite like the idea of Zebo as Lions captain. It'd be the most chilled, relaxed Lions Tour ever...

Yes, Gatland said he wants his captain in the Test team, this may rule out BOD as captain as a lot would have Roberts and Tuilagi in ahead of him.

Gatland said the complete opposite, he said it wasn't essential that the captain be a starter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

who_me wrote: »

Yes, probably. If he's named Captain he'll be tour captain regardless of playing, given the relative short period of the tour. Why create the "issue" of replacing a tour captain when you can just create a "match" captain if the case arises? And anyone who backed the announced tour capt will have collected their moola regardless.

People are pedantic.

Gatland said the complete opposite, he said it wasn't essential that the captain be a starter

A link to that would be most welcome.

A link to that would be most welcome.

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/odriscoll-open-to-one-more-season
    Second there is the Lions. Warren Gatland’s attitude to the captaincy is that whoever wears the armband on tour may not automatically be wearing it when the team runs out in the three Tests. So he will pick his team for those contests and then consider who should lead. The tour captain may not be in the 22.

There are direct quotes from Gatland made about three weeks ago too, but this was the first result

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/odriscoll-open-to-one-more-season

There are direct quotes from Gatland made about three weeks ago too, but this was the first result

Thanks. I think I saw the complete opposite on Sky sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In a way though, Gatland must say that the tour captain isn't guaranteed a test place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement