Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Corbisiero starts for London Irish this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hype710 wrote: »
    Corbisiero starts for London Irish this weekend.

Is he in with a shot for the Lions? I'd have thought Healy and Jenkins are nailed on but wouldn't put Corbisiero in for the third slot

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is he in with a shot for the Lions? I'd have thought Healy and Jenkins are nailed on but wouldn't put Corbisiero in for the third slot

Think it's too little, too late imo.

Gatland has said he's taking 6 props, so there is a slot there. Marler and Vunipola aren't ready IMO, they're where Cian Healy was a couple of years ago, powerful in the loose but suspect in the scrum. Ryan Grant is OK. Doubtful he'll take both Sheridan and Jenkins from Toulon. So I'd say Corbisiero has a chance. Gatland will know more than us about his fitness. If he's likely to break down again, he's unlikely to take him. But he could be worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brian Moore saying on twitter that rumours suggest its Warburton.

• Advertisement

Brian Moore saying on twitter that rumours suggest its Warburton.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd be a little disappointed. Think he's a fantastic fella, but I'd rather someone who has form that doesn't dip. Obviously my Irish glasses are on but I just think the effect POC has on a team can't be underestimated. Ditto with BOD.

I'd have AWJ ahead of most them tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

SOB pushing for the 6 position now more likely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ssaye wrote: »
    SOB pushing for the 6 position now more likely

Except I think Warburton will end up at 6 as Tipuric has been the better 7 this season.

Its a poor choice.

Really impressed last 2+ seasons by Tipuric

Test team

Wales 6
    England 5
    Ireland 3
    Scotland 1

Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I think it's a very bad call if true. Warburton has put in one performance of note since 2011 on an international stage. Even if he was at the height of his game there's too much competition in the backrow to have the captain there ( I think you need the captain to be a cert to start btw)

POC or AWJ would have been much better calls imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Warburton would be an odd choice in my mind. His form has been nowhere near what it was, and I wouldn't have him in my back-row for the tests.

I know Gatland said the captain doesn't have to play, but being realistic the captain should be playing if possible - so it really should be someone who is more nailed on. I would actually suggest Sexton, BOD, POC, Jones or AWJ as I think they are more likely nailed on starters.

If the captain doesn't play then what is he there for, motivation during training? Photocalls? While the real leaders are on the pitch. Strange.

Also, he is a 24 year old first time tourist who has been struggling for form all season.

The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

An all welsh back row would be a waste of a lions tour imo.

.ak wrote: »

Welsh 15?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Were you against 11 Fitzgerald 15 Kearney 14 Bowe in the second test four years ago? ;)

Were you against 11 Fitzgerald 15 Kearney 14 Bowe in the second test four years ago? ;)

That was due to injury tho.

only to Byrne. Monye was rightly dropped.

Also the alternative to Fitz was Ugo Monye. It wasn't exactly an outstanding crop of back 3 players. With the backrow talent the Lions will have available I'd love to see some variety there. Also, with the amount of talent there is having a backrow forward in questionable form as captain isn't very smart.

At least if BOD was tour captain and didn't play in the tests he would still have influence due to his experience and decade long stellar career. If Warburton is tour captain while not playing I don't think he carries any weight. Its a waste.

The captain can only be one man....

you know who I'm talking about....

only to Byrne. Monye was rightly dropped.

Yeah, my point was they didn't start with an all Irish back 3. If Warburton, Tipuric and Falateu prove themselves then fine... As much of a fan of Tipuric I am he wasn't the best 7 of the competition (6 nations) and Warburton only had one good game.

• Advertisement

Mike Ross?

Summary of the last one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_British_and_Irish_Lions_tour_to_South_Africa

Always interesting to look over previous ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was working during that infamous second test. I only watched it recently in full. The amount of fights were crazy

The more I think about it, the more crazy it seems to pick Warburton. The back row will be so ridiculously competitive that one average performance from him and a media frenzy will ensue that won't be good for the Lions, Gatland, or Warburton himself. I can imagine there'll be people campaigning for Tipuric, SOB and Robshaw all to be selected in the 7 shirt ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

+1

Indeed! Let's not mention the infamous 1896 Lions, captained by a woman and a budgie..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Hype710 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more crazy it seems to pick Warburton. The back row will be so ridiculously competitive that one average performance from him and a media frenzy will ensue that won't be good for the Lions, Gatland, or Warburton himself. I can imagine there'll be people campaigning for Tipuric, SOB and Robshaw all to be selected in the 7 shirt ahead of him.

Robshaw will find it tough to go on the tour let alone starting at 7. I feel that it'll either be Warburton or Tipuric at 7. Remember in 09, Wally had it nailed on, those were the days..

Robshaw will find it tough to go on the tour let alone starting at 7. I feel that it'll either be Warburton or Tipuric at 7. Remember in 09, Wally had it nailed on, those were the days..

Agree on Robshaw, but I think Farrell and Rowntree will have their say and he will go. Don't totally agree on Wally, he indirectly benefited from Ferris' injury imo. If Ferris hadn't got injured it could well have been a Ferris and Martyn Williams combo. Croft and Williams would have been far too light weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I would love if POM went , probably wouldn't get near the test side, able to to play anywhere in the backrow and wing ;) would help his chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I'd take POM over Robshaw, but thangs don't work like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I think Dylan Hartley will be lucky to make the plane TBH Thomond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement