Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its a bit unfair to categorise Laidlaw as a potential token selection. He's a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just had an absolute brainwave there earlier today, when Gatty said 2 tens and a utility kinda thing, people were thinking Laidlaw or Madigan. What about James Hook? Gatland consistently picked him on the bench for 2/3 years and he's not going to be involved in Top 14 playoffs most likely, plus he's playing pretty well. Can cover outhalf, centre and full back. Just a thought !

I suggested hook a while back. One thing that would probably work against him is that Farrell can and does play centres to a damn decent level so he could be the utility 10 or reduce the demand for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭gocall01

Even as a flight attendant, his service would be painfully slow.

And predictable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Grimebox wrote: »
    I would be shocked if this came into his thought process

He would have to bring a few Scots over, even if they were just to make up the numbers.

Was there ever a tour in the history of the lions where a country had no representation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rightwing wrote: »
    He would have to bring a few Scots over, even if they were just to make up the numbers.

Was there ever a tour in the history of the lions where a country had no representation?

Not since the very early days at which point the squad wasn't necessarily selected from all 4 nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This is absolutely crazy. Surely its not true that they bring token players. I would have thought/hoped players are chosen on merit alone

This is absolutely crazy. Surely its not true that they bring token players. I would have thought/hoped players are chosen on merit alone

Well they are not really token players in fairness, maybe if a Scot was say a little inferior he'd pick him to have some representation. Keeps the spirit of it going.

Well they are not really token players in fairness, maybe if a Scot was say a little inferior he'd pick him to have some representation. Keeps the spirit of it going.

I've heard some people saying "What is the point of the Lions" now and then. If inferior players are picked just to make up numbers, I will start leaning to agree with the doubters

I've heard some people saying "What is the point of the Lions" now and then. If inferior players are picked just to make up numbers, I will start leaning to agree with the doubters

I see where you are coming from, but the concept of it is unique, 4 nations merged into 1. It would lose it's appeal if it was all English & Welsh for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

There's plenty of scots pushing for spots anyway, no need or 'token' slots. Hogg, Laidlaw, maitland, visser, Beattie, kellock, Hamilton etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I would be shocked if this came into his thought process

I think I remember him saying in an interview that all 4 nations would definitely be represented. As ak. said though there are plenty of Scots who are pushing for places purely on merit. Given the relative weakness of the team it can be hard for them to shine and get the exposure that the likes of Owen Farrell or Leigh Halfpenny do, but they are talented players all the same who can bring plenty to the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Personally I love the Lions. Always fun seeing motherlands v colonials.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Scotland had a reasonable 6Ns so I'd say a few.of their players will be there by right. Stuart Hogg, Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton to name but three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bilston wrote: »
    Scotland had a reasonable 6Ns so I'd say a few.of their players will be there by right. Stuart Hogg, Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton to name but three.

Ford, Maitland, Murray, Laidlaw could all be outside bets.

I have no doubt at least one scot if not more will travel. I was talking hypothetically, if one nation was so dire and had no eligible players, I do not think it would be right to bring one just for the sake of it. This is folly though as its hypothetical and extremely unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hamilton, Hogg and Maitland will be on the plane IMO. Beattie might be iffy since Montpellier will be involved in the French playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hogg and Maitland will be on the plane IMO. Hamilton might be iffy since Montpellier will be involved in the French playoffs.

He's still with Gloucester though

Deano7788 wrote: »
    He's still with Gloucester though

Sorry meant Beattie there. Hamilton should tour alright.

I have no doubt at least one scot if not more will travel. I was talking hypothetically, if one nation was so dire and had no eligible players, I do not think it would be right to bring one just for the sake of it. This is folly though as its hypothetical and extremely unlikely.

Ya, the Scots had a better 6N than we had, but even your highly unlikely scenario, I still think it would be right to include a few passengers.

Ya, the Scots had a better 6N than we had, but even your highly unlikely scenario, I still think it would be right to include a few passengers.

Why? Its a competition. Bring your best

• Advertisement

Why? Its a competition. Bring your best

He wouldn't have to be a starter, 1 or 2 to make up the numbers in the midweek team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I could see Ryan Grant making the standby list and possibly touring. He was very solid in the scrums during the 6N and gave Jones a good test over the weekend. He even managed 2 tries too. Healy and Jenkins would be the standout looseheads contenders but should one of them get injured then I think there's a real need for a solid scrummaging replacement as Vunipola and Marler aren't that great in the scrums but offer a threat elsewhere but someone like Grant or James would be a good like for like replacement.

If Gatland is serious about not taking players who will be required by French clubs on the day of the Barbarians match, then Jenkins can't be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If Gatland is serious about not taking players who will be required by French clubs on the day of the Barbarians match, then Jenkins can't be picked.

Could Jenkins not do what Hines did and leave Perpignan early to tour? He's leaving at the end of the season afaik.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552677

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Any Scottish player that tours will deserve it, it would be hard to deny that any of the Scottish contenders do not deserve to tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It is very unlikely that we'd ever have a situation where one country has no representation at all.

The other thing is that the players from the weaker countries tend to excel playing with better players. Look at the '97 tour, we only had four tourists in Wallace, Wood, Davidson and Miller and I think they all played a significant part in the test series. Someone like Stuart Hogg could be an absolute superstar playing with Sexton, BOD, 1/2p and North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Am I the only one who wouldnt be in the least bit surprised to see Visser tour

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

astonaidan wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wouldnt be in the least bit surprised to see Visser tour

While I wouldn't be surprised to see him tour I don't think he offers anything that North, Cuthbert or Bowe would offer plus I think he can be very slow to turn in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think he'd be very lucky to tour. 6 months ago he'd have been in the mix but he has fallen away now and the 6N seemed to dent him. Bowe, Zebo, North, Ashton, Maitland and Cuthbert are the guys that the wingers are going to be selected from. Zebo, Cuthbert, North and Ashton if I was to guess.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I think he'd be very lucky to tour. 6 months ago he'd have been in the mix but he has fallen away now and the 6N seemed to dent him. Bowe, Zebo, North, Ashton, Maitland and Cuthbert are the guys that the wingers are going to be selected from. Zebo, Cuthbert, North and Ashton if I was to guess.

I think Zebo has a bit of work to do v clermont to get a place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement