Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

wittycynic wrote: »
    I agree it would be a lot better but I just think Bod and the others are a bit wasted outside a blunt instrument like Roberts. Problem is we don't really have any other options at twelve, save maybe brad barritt. Actually, I think tuilagi may have more about him at twelve than roberts. It's a poor crop at twelve in truth though.

Gordon D'Arcy is playing very well and has a tad bit of experience playing with BOD :)

It just reflects what the punter's cash is going on. If you think of it, are any English players a likely starter?

this isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

this isn't true

Care to educate me?

Care to educate me?

check our previous e-mail conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Care to educate me?
    check our previous e-mail conversation!
    you guys would make a lovely couple :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Has no one else noticed there isn't a single Englishmen on that team? Very strange from the bookies

You'd prob get different odds if you checked Ladbrokes or someone. Power will be taking on a lot of Irish bets for instance.
    Tuilagi is sure to start imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Rightwing wrote: »
    You'd prob get different odds if you checked Ladbrokes or someone. Power will be taking on a lot of Irish bets for instance.

No one is sure to start, not even Sexton or POC. 13 jersey is really up for grabs

BetVictor is an English company

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/lions-tour/british-and-irish-lions-tour/start-at-centre

Offering the same odds as Paddy Power on Tuiliagi.

BetVictor is an English company

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/lions-tour/british-and-irish-lions-tour/start-at-centre

Offering the same odds as Paddy Power on Tuiliagi.

Ya, Roberts is a certainty, think Gatland will use Tuiliagi and keep BOD for the bench, impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Ya, Roberts is a certainty, think Gatland will use Tuiliagi and keep BOD for the bench, impact sub.

Why would anyone use Roberts and Tuilagi together? Tuilagi would also probably be the better impact sub.

• Advertisement

Why would anyone use Roberts and Tuilagi together? Tuilagi would also probably be the better impact sub.

Far better attacking partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Roberts IMO offers very little and has regressed in the last few years, he just looks to bash into the opposition without much attempt to stay on his feet or look for an offload.

explain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

What one runs head down into the oposition and then the other does the same? Aussies will have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

:confused:

rightwing makes another matter of fact statement that won't be backed up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Better at running the ball themselves perhaps, but the back 3 would have to get used to not seeing any ball.

trouttrout wrote: »
    So no opinion of your own? anyway I'm done engaging with you, such a bluffer

explain
    rightwing makes another matter of fact statement that won't be backed up

I have no problem debating something with someone. But with someone is 'done', I'm assuming they are done.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Better at running the ball themselves perhaps, but the back 3 would have to get used to not seeing any ball.

That can be the case with Tuilagi alright, I still think he has more to offer in attack than BOD though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That can be the case with Tuilagi alright, I still think he has more to offer in attack than BOD though.

It can be the case with both though, which is the problem. I have no problem with one or the other playing in the centre, just not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It can be the case with both though, which is the problem. I have no problem with one or the other playing in the centre, just not both.

Actually much more the case with Roberts.

Fair enough. Who would your partnership be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Davies was really good against Cardiff. Not great opposition, but he looks like the form centre to me, and it might be worth trying one of him, BOD and Tuilagi at 12 in a warm up game.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

for me,when on song,the aussie backline is simply a class above what the lions will bring. In terms of skill,cutting edge,set moves,unpredictability.Been hugely impressed by what i have seen of the aussie players in super rugby,particularly compared to last year when they had a very poor time.
    To me the 9-10-12-13 axis for the lions looks a problem -with a 9 -phillips who can often be slow and predictable,a 10 sexton-who despite all the good form for leinster-has rarely stood out at international level,a 12-roberts-who just seems to try to bash everything and a 13-o driscoll-way past his best form. But there are few options in any of those positions.youngs/Tuilagi can be very good,but can be pretty average too-gatland will go for the safe option in my opinion.he will pick phillips,roberts guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Sexton hasn't set the world on fire at international level yet because since he established himself as the Irish 10 the gameplan has been to hoof the ball away.

Look at some of the stuff he has done with Leinster and then show me a better lions 10 option.

Philips is slow to get to the breakdown and often to slow to get it away. I'd hope Youngs would start.

With the midfield I don't know, it all depends on the gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think the Lions would be admitting defeat if they started Phillips, he is so slow and ponderous compared to Genia. I hope we do not stack the backline with bosh merchants, the Aussies are a good defensive team and will soak up the pressure. Wales went to Australia last year as overwhelming favourites for a 3-0 win but left losing all three tests because of their predictable one dimensional tactics. Hopefully we see something different this time, and we take the game to them.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think the Lions would be admitting defeat if they started Phillips, he is so slow and ponderous compared to Genia. I hope we do not stack the backline with bosh merchants, the Aussies are a good defensive team and will soak up the pressure. Wales went to Australia last year as overwhelming favourites for a 3-0 win but left losing all three tests because of their predictable one dimensional tactics. Hopefully we see something different this time, and we take the game to them.

unfortunately gatland teams tend to play the same way which is why people suspect gatland will go for the obvious selections.
    in fairness to gatland few players really put their hands up in the six nations,which is why gatland will probably feel justified going for the wales plus a few approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

unfortunately gatland teams tend to play the same way which is why people suspect gatland will go for the obvious selections.
    in fairness to gatland few players really put their hands up in the six nations,which is why gatland will probably feel justified going for the wales plus a few approach.

bit of a contradiction there WorldRugby...if few players put up their hands during the 6 nations, how would gatland justify picking wales plus a few considering they were on an 8 match losing streak coming into the 6n :confused: inc 4 losses to Australia......I don't think you're wrong though i expect gatland to pick wales plus a few, and find it hard to see many irish in the team, i could see an 8,4,2,1 split...

But then the Lions by its nature always throws up odd events...like in 97 ireland having 3 players in the pack (Fester,wally and davidson) when our forwards were considered some of the worst in europe!!

brinty wrote: »
    bit of a contradiction there WorldRugby...if few players put up their hands during the 6 nations, how would gatland justify picking wales plus a few considering they were on an 8 match losing streak coming into the 6n :confused: inc 4 losses to Australia......I don't think you're wrong though i expect gatland to pick wales plus a few, and find it hard to see many irish in the team, i could see an 8,4,2,1 split...

But then the Lions by its nature always throws up odd events...like in 97 ireland having 3 players in the pack (Fester,wally and davidson) when our forwards were considered some of the worst in europe!!

I meant few players outside wales(england,scotland,ireland)-after all wales won the tournament so you would expect the victors to have the biggest proportion.
    You are also correct to say-both injuries and form on tour may well throw up the odd surprise-but obviosuly you got to be on that plane to have a chance and you fancy the welsh will have a very large contingent as despite the woeful autumn form gatland will base a lot,maybe too much ,on the england v wales game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I meant few players outside wales(england,scotland,ireland)-after all wales won the tournament so you would expect the victors to have the biggest proportion.
    You are also correct to say-both injuries and form on tour may well throw up the odd surprise-but obviosuly you got to be on that plane to have a chance and you fancy the welsh will have a very large contingent as despite the woeful autumn form gatland will base a lot,maybe too much ,on the england v wales game.

Couldn't agree more WR...
    Unfortunately when we take off the green tinted glasses i see the squad as being at least 17/18 welsh, 12/14 english, 6/8 irish and 3/4 scots...and ye know something the less of our boys go the better i say..gatland has a welsh/english back room team...he's going to have a welsh captain....so i say the less of our players on tour the beeter so they'll not get carpeted when the lions lose this test series

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement