Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It's fun speculating. :)

There's nothing wrong with speculating at all, it's just some people seem to be getting a little worked up, which is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Speaking of speculation - what would people think about having Johnny Wilkinson as part of the squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

.ak wrote: »
    Speaking of speculation - what would people think about having Johnny Wilkinson as part of the squad?

Despite Gatland's comments on him, I'd be very surprised if he went. There are a number of outhalves in contention already. With Wilkinson's long season with Toulon and likely involvement deep into May, I would think Gatland will look elsewhere. Sexton and Priestland are probably in pole position. Then there's Farrell and Laidlaw who have a big plus in their favour as they can cover multiple positions. Anything's possible but it's going to take a massive season from Wilko. Would be nice to see him involved and even have an opportunity to put right his nightmare from 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jesus no.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »

Only Niall O'Connor stands deeper than he does. A great guy and ambassador for the game before not a 2012 Lion. Gatland only name dropped him to keep other players on their toes and to say that playing international rugby isn't the be all and end all in terms of selection hopes. The Lions are going to have a very talented backline and Jonny's style of play simply won't suit that.

I'd have Sexton, Biggar, Laidlaw and Flood and Farrell all ahead of Jonny. Plus Jonny's not going to released either before the Barbarians match, just like Gethin Jenkins.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Despite Gatland's comments on him, I'd be very surprised if he went. There are a number of outhalves in contention already. With Wilkinson's long season with Toulon and likely involvement deep into May, I would think Gatland will look elsewhere. Sexton and Priestland are probably in pole position. Then there's Farrell and Laidlaw who have a big plus in their favour as they can cover multiple positions. Anything's possible but it's going to take a massive season from Wilko. Would be nice to see him involved and even have an opportunity to put right his nightmare from 2001.

I would imagine his comments on Wilko are just to remain consistent with the line that everyone is under consideration, there's a clean slate, etc.

I seriously hope he doesn't travel.

ROG was on TodayFM on Friday talking about how he wants to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

danthefan wrote: »
    ROG was on TodayFM on Friday talking about how he wants to go...

Was it heavy with irony? Good lord.

I'd say ROG more than anyone wants to tour, he's had nothing but bad experiences with the Lions and wants to right the wrongs.

The Lions isn't about developing players, any form player whatever their age is in contention to go. If ROG rediscovers form then he could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'd say ROG more than anyone wants to tour, he's had nothing but bad experiences with the Lions and wants to right the wrongs.

The Lions isn't about developing players, any form player whatever their age is in contention to go. If ROG rediscovers form then he could be an option.

Matt Cooper asked ROG would he like to go on the Lions tour next year and he said he would. He went onto say that it would all depend on form. Said it would be fairly unique to make 4 Lions tours.

Good discussion with Brian Cody, Denis Irwin & ROG. They talk about what motivates them, whether they have regrets etc. Very interesting.

http://media.todayfm.com/listenbacks/popup

About 28 mins in Part 3 (friday). About 48 mins in is the part about the Lions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If ROG rediscovers form then he could be an option.

No he couldn't.

There is a reason he only has bad experiences with the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I doubt ROG will be playing for Ireland enough in the next year to warrant selection

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No he couldn't.

There is a reason he only has bad experiences with the Lions.

All I said is he's an option, just as Jonny Wilkinson is a potential option. I doubt he'll tour.

Plus as I've said many times on here, he can't say he doesn't want to tour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

When asked do you want to go on a Lions tour, he was always going to say yes.

It's unlikely that he will go but as of now, he is still Munster's no. 1 out-half. And I seem to remember him outplaying Rhys Priestland twice last year...and Gatland is likely to pick him.

(I do know that head-to-head battles in games between sides of differing quality shouldn't decide who goes on tour)

All fair points but ROG is on a downward spiral and it would be some turnaround for him to be a credible candidate. Right now I'd say there are six or seven guys ahead of him and that number is only likely to increase.

I know that if he's asked the question he can only answer it one way, but I hope that personally he's more realistic and focusing on Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Tox56 wrote: »
    I doubt ROG will be playing for Ireland enough in the next year to warrant selection

You do know who coaches Ireland I'm sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Blackheath wrote: »
    Warren Gatland & Rob Howley were in Toulan on Friday and had lunch with Gethin Jenkins and Bernard Leporte, thats was an interesting conversation.

Interesting that Howley went with Gatland. Is that an indication of the coaching setup?

All fair points but ROG is on a downward spiral and it would be some turnaround for him to be a credible candidate. Right now I'd say there are six or seven guys ahead of him and that number is only likely to increase.

I know that if he's asked the question he can only answer it one way, but I hope that personally he's more realistic and focusing on Munster.

Seems he is well focussed on Munster:
    When quizzed on his chances of making Warren Gatland’s touring Lions party next summer, O’Gara smiled: "Yeah it would be nice. It’s definitely in the back of my mind but I think you leave it there and concentrate on how you achieve that and get the process right. You could be playing in a test match or you might not even make the Tour. That’s how close it could be. You worry about week to week matters and see how you perform for Munster. If you perform for Munster you’ve a chance of performing for Ireland. If you perform for Ireland you could get on the plane (for the Lions) and anything could happen there.

"A lot can happen in a week in sport so from that point of view, you take it as it comes but to achieve four Tours would be something really, really special."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/ogara-rubbishes-retirement-talk-206931.html

Interesting that Howley went with Gatland. Is that an indication of the coaching setup?

According to Laporte in L'Equipe, Gatland & Howley were discussing Gethlin Jenkin's availability for the Autumn International & 6Ns. (Toulon have a match on the day that Wales play Australia) and that they hardly spoke about the Lions.

Looks like the press were putting 2&2 together & getting 10 about Wilkinson.

jm08 wrote: »
    According to Laporte in L'Equipe, Gatland & Howley were discussing Gethlin Jenkin's availability for the Autumn International & 6Ns. (Toulon have a match on the day that Wales play Australia) and that they hardly spoke about the Lions.

Looks like the press were putting 2&2 together & getting 10 about Wilkinson.

Link? Toulon have no choice but to release Jenkins for the 6N and three of the Autumn Internationals, must have been a very short discussion if it only revolved around one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It wasn't about 1 game. The French clubs limit the amount of time the international players can train during the 6 Nations as well. For example during the off weeks when they demand to have them back so they can start.

So it's definitely possible that it could have been just about the 6N and AIs. But seeing as Gatland spoke about the meeting when being announced as Lions coach and has spoken clearly about this meeting concerning the Lions it's probably pretty crazy to think they didn't discuss the Lions to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Link? Toulon have no choice but to release Jenkins for the 6N and three of the Autumn Internationals, must have been a very short discussion if it only revolved around one game.

As far as I know the Wales V Oz game doesn't fall under the autumn international schedule so the non welsh clubs can tell wales to go F off if they want

Laporte:
    "We did not talk so much about the Lions. It was more about Gethin's availability for the November and the Six Nations. On 1 December, the Welsh play a Test against Australia outside of the window and we told them that the position of principle was the same as for the Lions tour: 'No'. Toulon play Grenoble on the same day in the Top 14."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/07/gethin-jenkins-wales-lions-toulon?newsfeed=true

As far as I know the Wales V Oz game doesn't fall under the autumn international schedule so the non welsh clubs can tell wales to go F off if they want

Yeah, hence they have to release Jenkins for three of the AIs (of the four that Wales are playing). Toulon have already told Wales that they're not releasing him for the Australia game, presume the same will apply to Phillips.

You can see their point; if Wales want to go on a solo run and disregard the international window to get a bit of cash in, then why should Toulon have to facilitate that?

Jenkins would be a massive loss to the Lions; it would be some battle between Healy and he for the LH jersey.

Yeah, hence they have to release Jenkins for three of the AIs (of the four that Wales are playing). Toulon have already told Wales that they're not releasing him for the Australia game, presume the same will apply to Phillips.

You can see their point; if Wales want to go on a solo run and disregard the international window to get a bit of cash in, then why should Toulon have to facilitate that?

Jenkins would be a massive loss to the Lions; it would be some battle between Healy and he for the LH jersey.

It will be a massive blow to Wales/Gatland not to have Jenkins for the Australian test in the autumn. Wales need a home win particularly as Gatland is coaching.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jm08 wrote: »
    It will be a massive blow to Wales/Gatland not to have Jenkins for the Australian test in the autumn. Wales need a home win particularly as Gatland is coaching.

The idea of Wales losing an 8th game in a row (and a Gatland coached Wales losing a 5th) is somewhat worrying with the Lions coming up.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but it turns out the French clubs have no say in whether players go on the tour or not before a potential T14 final.
    IRB regulation 9.6b reads: "The quadrennial British and Irish Lions Tour is a Designated Event and all Players selected to participate shall be released.
    And rule 9.9 adds that players should be "available to train at least five clear days prior to the commencement of the international match, international tour or international tournament".

I would imagine Gatland is trying to remain diplomatic but if he picks Jenkins and Philips and they want to go then there's nothing Bernie Laporte or anyone else can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DivingBoard

I believe you are correct. I'd say that was also the law used by Nathan Hines in 2009 when he told Perpignan they would be playing the semi final without him.

Phillips will be fine, Bayonne won't get near the playoffs so he'll be free to go.

I wonder if Jenkins might do some kind of deal with Toulon to train with the Lions (that is if they're UK based at that time) during the week and then come back to Toulon on the friday or something?

I believe you are correct. I'd say that was also the law used by Nathan Hines in 2009 when he told Perpignan they would be playing the semi final without him.

No, Hines just quit his job. He was leaving anyway.

If Jenkins wants to play at Toulon next year, he has to toe the line.

• Advertisement

No, Hines just quit his job. He was leaving anyway.

If Jenkins wants to play at Toulon next year, he has to toe the line.

How are you figuring that? It's in black and white, they have to release him to the Lions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement