Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

brinty wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more WR...
    Unfortunately when we take off the green tinted glasses i see the squad as being at least 17/18 welsh, 12/14 english, 6/8 irish and 3/4 scots...and ye know something the less of our boys go the better i say..gatland has a welsh/english back room team...he's going to have a welsh captain....so i say the less of our players on tour the beeter so they'll not get carpeted when the lions lose this test series

That's a terrible attitude

Irish players will play a crucial part in the series. And imo we'll have at least 3 starters in the test side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

trouttrout wrote: »
    That's a terrible attitude

Irish players will play a crucial part in the series. And imo we'll have at least 3 starters in the test side

Maybe so trout but i haven't liked the lead in to this whole tour..Top heavy welsh/english influence..and how ever bad we might feel imagine being a scot??
    I'd prefer our irish players got a summer off, relaxed and were fresh for a new season with a new national coach and new set up to get use to and challenge france(who almost always win the post lions tour 6n) for the 6 nations title in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think the Lions would be admitting defeat if they started Phillips, he is so slow and ponderous compared to Genia. I hope we do not stack the backline with bosh merchants, the Aussies are a good defensive team and will soak up the pressure. Wales went to Australia last year as overwhelming favourites for a 3-0 win but left losing all three tests because of their predictable one dimensional tactics. Hopefully we see something different this time, and we take the game to them.

If Gatland ever wants to land the AB's job he can't pick 15 flankers. No matter what the result of the series the Kiwi's won't touch him if he deploys a Saffer game plan.

I think Gatland has turned into a bit of a shrewdie tbh and will know that this his first round interview for the AB's post Hanson. I think he'll play a semi expansive game and Phillips won't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Christian Wade ‏@ChristianWade3 24 Apr Just finished training, feeling pretty overwhelmed and shocked to be nominated for #AvivaPlayerOfTheSeason . Always great to be recognised 😁
    Details

Really good chance as a bolter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

ssaye wrote: »
    Christian Wade ‏@ChristianWade3 24 Apr Just finished training, feeling pretty overwhelmed and shocked to be nominated for #AvivaPlayerOfTheSeason . Always great to be recognised ��
    Details

Really good chance as a bolter

I'd say so too, Gatland may want to throw in a player from his old club too. More or less rejuvenated his career with Wasps .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'd say so too, Gatland may want to throw in a player from his old club too. More or less rejuvenated his career with Wasps .

I doubt Gatland would pick a player based on that

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Yeah BO'D was really wasted the last time he was outside Roberts...

Oh how could I forget, we did so well that year that we won the series.

Perhaps I'm being a little unfair but the bash brothers rugby style as utilised by Wales doesn't work against the aussies, we have a three Test series from last summer to prove that. The Welsh centres just don't do it for me and I'd rather we played individuals in there with more imagination and better distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

wittycynic wrote: »
    Oh how could I forget, we did so well that year that we won the series.

Not through any fault of those two Roberts was player of the tour and BO'D nominated player of the year. They cut the boks apart so how was BO'D wasted outside him?

What does not winning the tour have to do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Not through any fault of those two Roberts was player of the tour and BO'D nominated player of the year. They cut the boks apart so how was BO'D wasted outside him?

In of itself it doesn't have much to do with it but I just didn't think that centre partnership in reality lived up to the lavish praise that was being heaped on it at the time by the media. BOD was having the season of his life and would have made Tony Buckley look good inside him. Roberts was far from bad, in fact he was good at what he does but I have never thought of him as anything other than a blunt instrument who uses raw power to get over the gain line. This is reinforced by the fact that he has never seemed to perform particularly well against any of the top three teams, who are too good to fall victim to route one rugby.

They were certainly a fantastic p/ship v BOks, but BOD is nothing like the player now though, and Roberts gained from having BOD beside him too.

• Advertisement

wittycynic wrote: »
    In of itself it doesn't have much to do with it but I just didn't think that centre partnership in reality lived up to the lavish praise that was being heaped on it at the time by the media. BOD was having the season of his life and would have made Tony Buckley look good inside him. Roberts was far from bad, in fact he was good at what he does but I have never thought of him as anything other than a blunt instrument who uses raw power to get over the gain line. This is reinforced by the fact that he has never seemed to perform particularly well against any of the top three teams, who are too good to fall victim to route one rugby.

South Africa were world number 1's.

He's good when used right that's when he gets the ball with his team on the front foot instead of him being used to get front foot ball.

I have to agree with Lynagh:

Australia great Michael Lynagh views Ireland’s Paul O’Connell as the best man to lead the British and Irish Lions this summer, but predicts that Warren Gatland will opt for Sam Warburton.
    Bookmakers suspended betting on the captaincy after Warburton was backed heavily late last week and the Wales flanker is expected to be unveiled when the squad is announced in London on Tuesday.
    O’Connell, who has missed most of the season with a back injury, became a genuine contender following an epic display for Munster against Harlequins in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals.
    Lynagh, who played for the Wallabies in their 2-1 series defeat to Finlay Calder’s 1989 Lions, believes the 2009 skipper is the outstanding candidate.
    “I guess the favourite is Warburton, but for me it has to be Paul O’Connell,” said Lynagh, speaking at today’s launch of Specsavers’ sponsorship of match officials for the British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.
    “He’s done it before, he’s a big guy, an inspirational bloke, fresh because he hasn’t played much this season and is as fit as he’s ever been.
    “From a political point of view you have Scottish, Welsh and English represented in the management and no Irish. Appointing O’Connell would balance things up.”
    Lynagh subscribes to the view that for the first time a ‘tour captain’, who would not be guaranteed his place in the Test XV, should be chosen.
    “I’d go down that route because it takes the pressure off who’s going to be a certainty in the team,” said Lynagh, who won 72 caps between 1984-1995.
    “If he’s not playing well, do you drop the captain? If you pick a tour captain then he has to perform during the opening three weeks of the tour to get in the Test team. That would be interesting.”
    Lynagh, who believes veteran George Smith will be recalled at openside, insists that the Lions’ best chance of winning their first Test series since 1997 is to overpower the smaller Wallabies.
    However, he expects Quade Cooper, Kurtley Beale and James O’Connor to prove less physical but every bit as dangerous.
    While there is a belief that the troubled but mercurial trio, who have repeatedly been involved in off-field controversies, should not start in the same XV, Lynagh insists they must play together.
    “Cooper hasn’t proved that he’s too good to drop over the last couple of years, in fact he’s proved that he’s a difficult person to have in the team,” he said.
    “But if he can prove he’s overcome that, a bit like a Kevin Pietersen, there’s room for him in the team at 10 and he can win games.
    “He’s more mature now and doesn’t take as many risks, but they’re the risks that change games and series.
    “While guys like him, Beale and O’Connor have issues, they’re very hard to defend against.
    “All that’s important is that they’re in the team somewhere because they’re the type of players who can turn a game or a series.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Paddy Power have a market up for players to make the Lions tour. One that jumps of the page is Madigan at just 4/11. Very interesting especially with Ian set to start at 12 tomorrow. Gatland couldn't have had a word with Joe about that could he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hype710 wrote: »
    Paddy Power have a market up for players to make the Lions tour. One that jumps of the page is Madigan at just 4/11. Very interesting especially with Ian set to start at 12 tomorrow. Gatland couldn't have had a word with Joe about that could he?

Madigan set to start at 12? What now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

danthefan wrote: »

Someone said they're training that way as D'Arcy isn't likely to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

danthefan wrote: »

That's what's claimed over on LF alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Hype710 wrote: »

Probably better discussing this here than on the Betting Thread!

I strongly doubt Schmidt would take any notice of anybody telling him who to start where with the Lions in mind. Granted it's done for an Irish perspective but not for the Lions.

As I said in the other thread, the only reason Madigan will start at 12 this weekend is because he is the best player available. To boot it would be an added bonus if Gatland saw this as another string to Madigan's bow but this couldn't be in Schmidt's reason to pick him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

so when will the team be announced,

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Tuesday

• Advertisement

Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Paddy power squad based on positions (first four for each positions, I am not distinguishing between props and wings because tbh I always forget who plays on what side outside of Ireland)

I dunno why I bothered doing this tbh, green for Irish, Blue Scotland, Red Wales, and Yellow England cause **** em thats why.

Hookers

Rory Best 1/80
    Richard Hibbard 1/20
    Tom Youngs 1/2
    Dyland Hartley 7/5

Props

Cian Healy 1/500
    Adam Jones 1/100
    Dan Cole 1/18
    Gethin Jenkins 1/8
    Mako Vunipola 8/11
    Andrew Sheridan 13/8
    Joe Marler 2/1
    Mike Ross 7/2

Locks

Paulie 1/100
    Alun Wyn Jones 1/80
    Geoff Parling 1/5
    Jim Hamilton 4/6
    Richie Grey evens

Ian Evans 6/4
    Joe Launchbury 2/1
    Andrew Coombs 5/2
    (Honourable mention for Nathan Hines 3/1)

Flankers

Sam Warburton 1/500
    Justin Tipuric 1/25
    Sean O Brien 1/25
    Chris Robshaw 1/25
    Tom Croft 1/7
    Ryan Jones 4/5
    Peter O Mahony 11/10
    Dan Lydiate 6/4

Number 8

Toby Faletau 1/25
    Jamie Heaslip 8/15
    Ben Morgan 15/8
    (They don't really have another out and out No8 listed with a realistic chance so I'll go with Tom Wood at 5/2)

Scrumhalf

Ben Youngs 1/50
    Mike Philips 1/50
    Conor Murray 4/7
    Danny care 5/4

Out half

Jonny Sexton 1/500
    Owen Farrell 1/14
    Ian Madigan 4/11
    Dan Biggar 4/7
    Greig Laidlaw 9/4 (He's a 9, but here are his ods anyway)

Wings (incidentally, 2 from each country)

Alex Cuthbert 1/80
    George North 1/50
    Tommy Bowe 2/5
    Simon Zebo 4/9
    Tim Visser 4/9
    Chris Aston 4/6
    Sean Maitland 11/10
    Mike Brown 3/1

Centres

Jamie Roberts 1/500
    BOD 1/500
    Manu Tuilagi 1/40
    Jonathan Davies 1/12
    Brad Barrit 1/3
    Billy Twelvetrees 9/4

Scott Williams 10/1 (Note the massive drop beyond billy)
    James Hook 10/1

Fullbacks

Leigh Halfpenny 1/500
    Rob Kearney 1/40
    Stuart Hogg 2/7
    Alex Goode 7/4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

errlloyd wrote: »
    Paddy power squad based on positions (first four for each positions, I am not distinguishing between props and wings because tbh I always forget who plays on what side outside of Ireland)

I dunno why I bothered doing this tbh, green for Irish, Blue Scotland, Red Wales, and Yellow England cause **** em thats why.

Hookers

Rory Best 1/80
    Richard Hibbard 1/20
    Tom Youngs 1/2
    Dyland Hartley 7/5

Props

Cian Healy 1/500
    Adam Jones 1/100
    Dan Cole 1/18
    Gethin Jenkins 1/8
    Mako Vunipola 8/11
    Andrew Sheridan 13/8
    Joe Marler 2/1
    Mike Ross 7/2

Locks

Paulie 1/100
    Alun Wyn Jones 1/80
    Geoff Parling 1/5
    Jim Hamilton 4/6
    Richie Grey evens

Ian Evans 6/4
    Joe Launchbury 2/1
    Andrew Coombs 5/2

Flankers

Sam Warburton 1/500
    Justin Tipuric 1/25
    Sean O Brien 1/25
    Chris Robshaw 1/25
    Tom Croft 1/7
    Ryan Jones 4/5
    Peter O Mahony 11/10
    Dan Lydiate 6/4

Number 8

Toby Faletau 1/25
    Jamie Heaslip 8/15
    Ben Morgan 15/8
    (They don't really have another out and out No8 listed with a realistic chance so I'll go with Tom Wood at 5/2)

Scrumhalf

Ben Youngs 1/50
    Mike Philips 1/50
    Conor Murray 4/7
    Danny care 5/4

Out half

Jonny Sexton 1/500
    Owen Farrell 1/14
    Ian Madigan 4/11
    Dan Biggar 4/7

Alex Cuthbert 1/80
    George North 1/50
    Tommy Bowe 2/5
    Simon Zebo 4/9
    Tim Visser 4/9
    Chris Aston 4/6
    Sean Maitland 11/10
    Mike Brown 3/1

Centres

Jamie Roberts 1/500
    BOD 1/500
    Manu Tuilagi 1/40
    Jonathan Davies 1/12
    Brad Barrit 1/3
    Billy Twelvetrees 9/4

James Hook 10/1

Fullbacks

Leigh Halfpenny 1/500
    Rob Kearney 1/40
    Stuart Hogg 2/7
    Alex Goode 7/4

Typical PP, wouldn't lay an egg, some of those prices are ridiculous....4/9 Visser, 11/10 POM, as discussed 4/11 Madigan to name a few.....don't know why they bother having the market with those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

errlloyd wrote: »

Hookers

Rory Best 1/80
    Richard Hibbard 1/20
    Tom Youngs 1/2
    Dyland Hartley 7/5

Props

Cian Healy 1/500
    Adam Jones 1/100
    Dan Cole 1/18
    Gethin Jenkins 1/8
    Mako Vunipola 8/11
    Andrew Sheridan 13/8
    Joe Marler 2/1
    Mike Ross 7/2

Locks

Paulie 1/100
    Alun Wyn Jones 1/80
    Geoff Parling 1/5
    Jim Hamilton 4/6
    Richie Grey evens
    Ian Evans 6/4
    Joe Launchbury 2/1
    Andrew Coombs 5/2

Flankers

Sam Warburton 1/500
    Justin Tipuric 1/25
    Sean O Brien 1/25
    Chris Robshaw 1/25
    Tom Croft 1/7
    Ryan Jones 4/5
    Peter O Mahony 11/10
    Dan Lydiate 6/4

Number 8

Toby Faletau 1/25
    Jamie Heaslip 8/15
    Ben Morgan 15/8

Scrumhalf

Ben Youngs 1/50
    Mike Philips 1/50
    Conor Murray 4/7
    Danny care 5/4

Out half

Jonny Sexton 1/500
    Owen Farrell 1/14
    Ian Madigan 4/11
    Dan Biggar 4/7

Alex Cuthbert 1/80
    George North 1/50
    Tommy Bowe 2/5
    Simon Zebo 4/9
    Tim Visser 4/9
    Chris Aston 4/6
    Sean Maitland 11/10
    Mike Brown 3/1

Centres

Jamie Roberts 1/500
    BOD 1/500
    Manu Tuilagi 1/40
    Jonathan Davies 1/12
    Brad Barrit 1/3
    Billy Twelvetrees 9/4
    James Hook 10/1

Fullbacks

Leigh Halfpenny 1/500
    Rob Kearney 1/40
    Stuart Hogg 2/7
    Alex Goode 7/4

My eyes....they hurt so bad, i need :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They were such a good partnership because BOD could come inside Roberts or they could just cut him out altogether.

I wouldn't min seeing a BOD Roberts partnership again at all. Just don't want to see 2 centers who can't pass.

EDIT: Pretty much I want to see BOD and one of the big 12s or Twelvetrees and one of the big 13s.

They were such a good partnership because BOD could come inside Roberts or they could just cut him out altogether.

I wouldn't min seeing a BOD Roberts partnership again at all. Just don't want to see 2 centers who can't pass.

EDIT: Pretty much I want to see BOD and one of the big 12s or Twelvetrees and one of the big 13s.

Exactly why I wouldn't have Roberts and Tuilagi together.

I'd say Scott's ahead of Twelvetrees in the pecking order played a lot more in the 6N and looked good very underrated,

Exactly why I wouldn't have Roberts and Tuilagi together.

I'd say Scott's ahead of Twelvetrees in the pecking order played a lot more in the 6N and looked good very underrated,

Don't rate Scott nearly as highly myself. I would be very surprised if he's involved. Twelvetrees has had a much better season and he is really the only 12 with that set of skills available to us.

Don't rate Scott nearly as highly myself. I would be very surprised if he's involved. Twelvetrees has had a much better season and he is really the only 12 with that set of skills available to us.

Beck is there too, but not favoured whatsoever by Gatland's bashem gameplan @ Wales.

Beck is there too, but not favoured whatsoever by Gatland's bashem gameplan @ Wales.

Wouldn't have him near it. Just not as good either imo.

Scott Williams either. Can't see Williams, Beck or Scott travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think Beck is one of the best 12s going. Shines at Ospreys, and isn't really given much hope in the Welsh squad in the same vein the Sexton shines for Leinster but looks average for Ireland. Doesn't suit their game plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement