Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Would Madigan not be touring with Ireland anyway over the summer, so it is not like he would have plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

It will be interesting to see how Madigan goes tomorrow. But at this stage I reckon Gatland is more or less set on his squad

I think Heaslip at 8/15 is worth a lump. Can't see him being left at home

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

The thing is i cant see Gatland bringing Madigan and James Hook . If i were to choose between the two i would definitely pick Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I am assuming that because Zebo and Madigan are contenders it is not a good sign for Kearney's chance of touring (presuming that he is 3rd choice behind Halfpenny and Hogg), seeing as both players can cover 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Madigan went from 7/1 to 4/11 in an hour yesterday to get on the tour.

Heard he got a letter about his availability for the summer, but I'd assume anyone with a chance got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Would Madigan not be touring with Ireland anyway over the summer, so it is not like he would have plans.
    Lions tour ends later so he might have wanted to book a holiday for after the Ireland tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's very strange, Biggar is 3rd favourite to start yet Madigan is better odds to make the squad? :confused:

A choice between Biggar and Madigan for Leinster, would Biggar make the Leinster team??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Would Madigan make the Welsh team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg
    shuffol wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

shuffol wrote: »

If was with one of the regions he'd be their starting 10, and in turn I reckon he'd be playing for Wales. Of course, I'm very biased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sky are shilling James Hook like crazy, although tbf he's doing a good job so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sky are shilling James Hook like crazy, although tbf he's doing a good job so far.

When see the lions announced lads? people here trying to convince me they saw that it's tomorrow morning at 11. They said they saw it watching the amlin match now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    When see the lions announced lads? people here trying to convince me they saw that it's tomorrow morning at 11. They said they saw it watching the amlin match now.

Tuesday morning at 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Tuesday morning at 11am

Is it going to be announced live on TV??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Tuesday morning at 11am

Is it going to be announced live on TV?? If so, which channel??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Is it going to be announced live on TV?? If so, which channel??

Sky sports news have it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Jezza Guscott has rowed in on the captaincy...Reckons Warburton's not up to it and favours BOD, little harsh, but on balance I'd have to concur....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22317062

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Think Quinnell was a bit more realistic about him. TBH it was obviously an angle Sky went with to make an all French tie more interesting to British and Irish viewers. I dont think Hook is going to go, not ahead of Biggar never mind Madigan.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not convinced that Madigan will be going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Realistically Madigan is only going if he has an absolute stormer today and there is an injury. Are the Lions selectors going to be in the RDS later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »

Ah yeah, far from convincing, total outside chance. But that's part of the fun of the Lions, seeing the odd exciting outsider get through when nobody suspects it. Aside from Wade, Madigan is the best outsider I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

decisions wrote: »
    Realistically Madigan is only going if he has an absolute stormer today and there is an injury. Are the Lions selectors going to be in the RDS later?

Yeah, two of them, I forget who tho. Gatty and someone else are in Montpellier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »

Quite the opposite, he'll be going somewhere, it's just a matter of where! A tour in the US would do him good, but from a selfish Leinster point of view if he were to travel with the Lions (even if he didn't play that much) it would be of incredible benefit for him looking ahead to next season. Would give him a lot of confidence, although you could say he isn't exactly lacking in that as it is. Would also move Leinster a step closer to the all-Lions backline that we all crave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Howley and Rowntree are in the RDS today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

geekington wrote: »
    Howley and Rowntree are in the RDS today.

I've a bit of a suspicion that Mike Ross is a lot closer to selection than many think.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

so close i have £50 quid riding on Chris Ashton not making the trip with an English friend ... i feel the money in my pocket already but just want that closure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

leonard7 wrote: »
    so close i have £50 quid riding on Chris Ashton not making the trip with an English friend ... i feel the money in my pocket already but just want that closure

Ashton will make it all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

leonard7 wrote: »

The competition for the wing spots is possibly the tightest. Any 4 of 6 or 7 could make the trip. I think it's going to be a straight call between Bowe and Ashton for the final spot with North, Cuthbert and Zebo also travelling. I reckon Ashton will sneak it though. He has hit form in the past month. Best winger on the park against Ulster, bagged a try and an assist in his last Prem appearance. If he has a solid game tomorrow, I think he's on the plane. Personally, I'd already have him on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    The competition for the wing spots is possibly the tightest. Any 4 of 6 or 7 could make the trip. I think it's going to be a straight call between Bowe and Ashton for the final spot with North, Cuthbert and Zebo also travelling. I reckon Ashton will sneak it though. He has hit form in the past month. Best winger on the park against Ulster, bagged a try and an assist in his last Prem appearance. If he has a solid game tomorrow, I think he's on the plane. Personally, I'd already have him on the plane.

If it's a straight call between Bowe and Ashton I'd absolutely take Bowe. Ashton has had a good few games but so has Bowe, i was actually very surprised how quickly Bowe has hit his stride, some really classy moments. Totally different players but with the likes of North/Tuilagi/Roberts likely to be in the team we could do with someone like Bowe.

All that said I think Zebo is more questionable than Bowe, a huge game today would do him wonders but I wouldn't be banking on him making it just yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Tox56 wrote: »
    Would also move Leinster a step closer to the all-Lions backline that we all crave :D

Hmmm :p

This is the Lions backline I crave
    9 Danny Care
    10 Johnny Sexton
    11 George North
    12 Manu Tuliagi
    13 Brian O Driscoll
    14 Tommy Bowe
    15 Leigh Halfpenney

And while I'm at it, the pack.
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best