Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Stephen Jones seems to suggest he's got the inside track with Warren Gatland and he says this is the squad:

I'd say thats it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

I'd well believe that is the squad. I also reckon you'll find once they get out there the Irish will do very well. Heaslip will get ahead of Falatue and I know no one is going to believe this but Kearny will be starting full back. He doesn't warrant it at the moment but big games big players he will step up to the plate.

I also think you'll find Zebo is one of the first on the waiting list. He is the kind of player that will come in and make the test team.

trouttrout wrote: »
    tbh I think he was given the squad off the record bar one or two names which were probably still up for decision this weekend

There's 38 players listed there. Which I though was the upper limit, with as low as 36 a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Question: Can anyone remember a game where both North and Cuthbert both had stormers/played very well for Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Zebo over Maitland anyday. The 3 games he has put in since coming back have been super, Maitland was good during the 6N but nothing spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Richie Gray has done nothing this season, Hamilton or Ryan should be ahead of him.

Hottowel wrote: »
    I'd well believe that is the squad. I also reckon you'll find once they get out there the Irish will do very well. Heaslip will get ahead of Falatue and I know no one is going to believe this but Kearny will be starting full back. He doesn't warrant it at the moment but big games big players he will step up to the plate.

I also think you'll find Zebo is one of the first on the waiting list. He is the kind of player that will come in and make the test team.

Heaslip has a chance alright if he plays a couple of good games and his fellow backrowers also play well and gel.
    For the Lions sake, I hope the other two FBs show good form and keep Kearney out. He is too limited (good and all as he is within those limits) simply not offering enough as a running threat. Any three quarterline is offensively handicapped by his presence.
    Agree Zebo on the waiting list is likely. And the correct place for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

To me it looks like a very blunt team all around, theres no cutting edge in attack there it will be all bash bash bash. Wales have shown you won't beat Australia like that

Who would provide cutting edge?

Question: Can anyone remember a game where both North and Cuthbert both had stormers/played very well for Wales?

One Lions wing having a stormer in each game will be enough to win the series.
    Hopefully one of the above with TB hitting his best form again.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    One Lions wing having a stormer in each game will be enough to win the series.
    Hopefully one of the above with TB hitting his best form again.

Ya, I think North is vastly overrated, big fan of Cuthbert but I've seen nothing but flashes from North over the last season or two

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Who would provide cutting edge?

Someone like Zebo, Wade or Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think that's a great squad. I'd be very happy if that's it.

Really well balanced as well. I cannot wait to see what Gatland produces this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

I suppose Zebo Wade and Madigan are relatively unknown to aussies.

I'm still optimistic that there will be a real "Bolter" called up through injury. To be fair there's usually always at least one person out before the tour even leaves. I'd imagine those three above are on standy by. Remember Ryan Jones getting called out to New Zealand and he was by far the best forward we had.

I thought Gray (scottish lock) was out injured?

Someone like Zebo, Wade or Madigan

What position? Do you mean instead of Sexton ? Or in a centre position he hasnt played to any degree for either club not country ?

Ya Grey would be another awful call. Even when he wasn't injured he was painfully ineffective during the six nations

Sandwlch wrote: »
    What position? Do you mean instead of Sexton ? Or in a centre position he hasnt played to any degree for either club not country ?

23 or 22. Could see him coming into 10 or 12 for the last twenty minutes

23 or 22. Could see him coming into 10 or 12 for the last twenty minutes

In a Lions test match?

Farrell will be 22 unless injured. Not a setting for Madigan. If we are under pressure he could have real trouble.

Wade needs to establish himself at a higher level as well.

Zebo is very close I'm sure. Must be between him and Ashton for 1st wing understudy. Ashton would certainly add cutting edge. I think there's plenty of it though.

Think about a back line of

Youngs, Sexton, North, Davies, BOD, Bowe, Halfpenny

With Laidlaw, Farrell and Hogg on the bench.
    Absolutely loads of cutting edge and impact there.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Barritt puts on pressure for a test place either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

In a Lions test match?

Farrell will be 22 unless injured. Not a setting for Madigan. If we are under pressure he could have real trouble.

Wade needs to establish himself at a higher level as well.

Zebo is very close I'm sure. Must be between him and Ashton for 1st wing understudy. Ashton would certainly add cutting edge. I think there's plenty of it though.

Think about a back line of

Youngs, Sexton, North, Davies, BOD, Bowe, Halfpenny

With Laidlaw, Farrell and Hogg on the bench.
    Absolutely loads of cutting edge and impact there.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Barritt puts on pressure for a test place either.

No Tuilagi? At 12 he could cause havoc with BOD outside, better handling than Roberts and a fair bit more dynamic too

Honestly do not see why Laidlaw will go, he is not Lions standard in 9 or 10. Take away his place kicking and he is a decent internatonal at best. Would be.a huge shame if he went just because he is versatile.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wade as a defender is highly questionable and it's not yet england level never mind lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stephen Jones seems to suggest he's got the inside track with Warren Gatland and he says this is the squad:

Fullbacks (3) Leigh Halfpenny (Wales); Stuart Hogg (Scotland); Rob Kearney (Ireland)

Wings (4) Tommy Bowe (Ireland); Alex Cuthbert (Wales); George North (Wales); Sean Maitland (Scotland)

Centres (5) Brad Barrrit (England); Jonathan Davies (Wales); Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland); Jamie Roberts (Wales); Manu Tuilagi (England)

Outhalves (2) Jonathon Sexton (Ireland); Owen Farrell (England)

Scrumhalves (3) Mike Phillips (Wales); Greg Laidlaw (Scotland); Ben Youngs (England)

No.8 (2) Jamie Heaslip (Ireland); Toby Faletau (Wales)

Flankers (5) Sean O'Brien (Ireland); Dan Lydiate (Wales); Justin Tupiric (Wales); Tom Croft (England); Sam Warburton (Wales)

Second Row (5) Richie Gray (Scotland); Paul O'Connell (Ireland); Geoff Parling (England); Alun Wyn Jones (Wales); Ian Evans (Wales)

Hookers (3) Richard Hibbard (Wales); Tom Youngs (England); Rory Best (Ireland)

Props (6) Dan Cole (England); Ryan Grant (Scotland); Gethin Jenkins (Wales); Cian Healy (Ireland); Adam Jones (Wales); Mike Ross (Ireland)

CAPTAIN: SAM WARBURTON

Welsh Players: 15
    Irish Players: 10
    English Players: 8
    Scottish Players: 5

Dunno what to make of that reported squad...it's good in large parts but there are a few questionable calls.

I'd have Zebo over Maitland...possibly even over Bowe/Kearney, he's in-form and he offers something a bit different.

The centres seem very boshy, bar BOD. I wouldn't have Barritt, I mean...he won't let you down, but he's just very average. That said, there isn't much options...I like Beck, but I suppose he has no chance of going.

And Murray and Care are both better than Phillips.

Elsewhere, it seems reasonably okay...think Croft could do well. Warburton shouldn't be captain tbqh, bit surprised Robshaw wasn't included somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

I'm not sure if I agree with having both North and Cuthbert in the same team - they appear to be too similar in their style of play for me. Granted they are world-class wingers and highly effective, but I like the idea of having one strong and powerful winger and a more pacy, elusive winger as a foil.

Not sure who I'd pick as my elusive winger bar Zebo though. Wade seems like he'd fit the bill, but I'm only going on what I've seen from one game and what the posters here have been saying about him. Halfpenny maybe? To be honest I've only seen him at fullback but I have no doubt he'd be excellent. Ashton and Bowe both seem like the "strong and direct" type. Gilroy is well down the pecking order. Earls probably fits the bill but he has been most likely ruled out of contention by being played all over the park the last few years.

I see Bowe and Cuthbert being the starting wingers however. I would love to see Zebo make the test team - something tells me he'd revel in the excitement and atmosphere of a Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fullbacks (3) Leigh Halfpenny (Wales); Stuart Hogg (Scotland); Rob Kearney (Ireland)
    I can't see three fullbacks. Even if Halfpenny and Hogg cover other positions.

I can't see three fullbacks. Even if Halfpenny and Hogg cover other positions.

I could see Zebo being 3rd choice fullback aswell as a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At least there's no Hartley. A major positive.

Honestly do not see why Laidlaw will go, he is not Lions standard in 9 or 10. Take away his place kicking and he is a decent internatonal at best. Would be.a huge shame if he went just because he is versatile.

Well I think he is one of the best 9s in Britain. He was excellent there during the 6 Nations anyway. I'd have him on merit as a 9 for sure. Great skills and a great reader of the game. Not something I'd see in Youngs or Phillips these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Am I alone in thinking wales dont really deserve to dominate the lions party to the extent they will?Awful in the autumn,the regions awful in europe and they were virtually gifted a 6 nations title-france were woeful,ireland after the injuries woeful and england ,who they met at just the right time,got worse with each game.England game apart,wales havent played particularly good rugby.Yet based on pretty much one performance they are going to dominate the lions squad?Didnt england produce a great one off to beat NZ?ireland really good to beat wales away?
    Wales and gatland have lost 8 in a row to aussies which suggests gatland going to aus playing a mostly welsh team in the same style is just playing into aussie hands?aussies certainly wont fear the lions.Maybe trying to overpower them up front and having roberts/north bash over the line will win-but there seems to be no plan B if they come up short in first test.
    And as for warburton as captain-talk about an in-house choice-he doesnt deserve it.He was poor in autumn and over the season with cardiff and he asked not to be made captain to concentrate on his game in 6 nations.Yet a decent last couple of games v sco/eng and he appears to be the captain.

I could see Zebo being 3rd choice fullback aswell as a winger.

There are going to be 3 actual full backs supposedly. No way Zebo will be considered as a 15 for a Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There are going to be 3 actual full backs supposedly. No way Zebo will be considered as a 15 for a Lions tour.
    Maybe there will but I don't agree with there being 3 actual fullbacks. Halfpenny and Hogg with Maitland and maybe Zebo as emergency cover is enough imo.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dunno what to make of that reported squad...it's good in large parts but there are a few questionable calls.

I'd have Zebo over Maitland...possibly even over Bowe/Kearney, he's in-form and he offers something a bit different.

The centres seem very boshy, bar BOD. I wouldn't have Barritt, I mean...he won't let you down, but he's just very average. That said, there isn't much options...I like Beck, but I suppose he has no chance of going.

And Murray and Care are both better than Phillips.

Elsewhere, it seems reasonably okay...think Croft could do well. Warburton shouldn't be captain tbqh, bit surprised Robshaw wasn't included somewhere.

As good as Zebo is, there is no way he is ahead of Bowe. There's also no way he's ahead of Kearney for full back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement