Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Based on the selection that Jones is proposing, the only changes I'd make would be Bowe and Maitland for Zebo and Ashton, Gray for Hamilton and Lydiate for, possibly POM or Robshaw.

I think Bowe and Lydiate are very lucky if they travel, particularly Lydiate. They're being selected on their past experiences with Gatland more than anything. There are others who are playing better in their positions currently.

Overall, I think it's a good squad. I'm happy to see some players there that many wouldn't have considered such as Laidlaw, Ross and Barrit. These are guys that will be needed in an end of season tour where players are going to suffer. They do a their basics well and work hard on the field. Not going to be test players but essential for a tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe there will but I don't agree with there being 3 actual fullbacks. Halfpenny and Hogg with Maitland and maybe Zebo as emergency cover is enough imo.

Hogg can play 13 and on the wing though. And he is better in those positions than Zebo is at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Bowe has a starting Lions cap at 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

If Barnes' selection is right, Best and Kearney can count themselves very lucky. Heaslip sneaks in after a good few weeks and a lack of alternatives. With my Munster hat on, POM, Murray and Zebo are all very unlucky, but they would all probably be the first reserve in their respective positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

No one seems to be surprised Mike Ross makes it? Was he a given all along?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Quint2010 wrote: »

I'd be incredibly surprised if he went. I think he's down a notch from his form of past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I'd agree with above, both Best and RK very very lucky. Rob in particular just doesn't deserve to be there.

POM has had a good year and is a more menacing Croft, while I'd have Zebo in my test team, can't believe he isn't on the plane if true.

Wouldn't have Murray though.

Strong rumours on Twitter from journos that Warburton is captain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Not a given but a definate probable. I mean Cole and Jones were nailed down all season. The third could be Ross or any of a couple of others with Ross as the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd be incredibly surprised if he went. I think he's down a notch from his form of past year.

I think if Kidney didn't insist on flogging him for 70-80 mins most games, his performances this past season would seem alot better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think I'll ever understand the Warburton captaincy. He has had one good game all season, is a first time tourist and plays in a position of strength in the squad. He's not even the best player in his position in Wales! Also he simply doesn't have a stature in the game to be a tour captain but not start the tests.

• Advertisement

So do I, scrum was poor yesterday. However, not too many choices there after Cole + Jones. Possibly Murray?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Heaslip sneaks in after a good few weeks and a lack of alternatives.

He's been working on staring down coins over the last few weeks. Glad to see you noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Best and Kearney lucky to be traveling if true. It seems that both players have done their best to play themselves out of the team over the last few months.

Warburton captaincy doesn't feel right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Teferi wrote: »
    He's been working on staring down coins over the last few weeks. Glad to see you noticed.

The preciousness is adorable. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kearney is a very bad choice in my opinion. His strong points are his catching and kicking but the Aussies don't play that type of game and so will run at him. His defence is the weakest part of his game and when he has to make a decision he usually makes the wrong one.

The preciousness is adorable. :rolleyes:

Bonnaire must have close his eyes for the toss yesterday to avoid POC's Medusa gaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

I don't think I'll ever understand the Warburton captaincy. He has had one good game all season, is a first time tourist and plays in a position of strength in the squad. He's not even the best player in his position in Wales! Also he simply doesn't have a stature in the game to be a tour captain but not start the tests.

its not just that his form over the season hasnt been great,with welsh coaches-gatland/howley, possibly 16-17 welsh players,to have a welsh captain makes the lions just have too big a welsh feel to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kearney is a very bad choice in my opinion. His strong points are his catching and kicking but the Aussies don't play that type of game and so will run at him. His defence is the weakest part of his game and when he has to make a decision he usually makes the wrong one.

I think this Australia don't really kick is a bit of a myth. Yes they're no S.A. but they do kick fairly often Cooper in particular loves to probe teams with attacking kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

awec wrote: »
    As good as Zebo is, there is no way he is ahead of Bowe. There's also no way he's ahead of Kearney for full back.

No, but he offers something different. Ideally, I'd bring both Bowe and Zebo, with the two Welshies. I just think Zebo and Cuthbert would be a good wing pairing.

As for Kearney, he's not a better full-back than Kearney, but Halfpenny is comfortably the best 15 atm. If Hogg goes too, I don't really see the need for a 3rd out-and-out full-back, and Zebo could slot in there if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Big question, who will be the Lions kicker. I could see Laidlaw, Sexton/Farrell and Halfpenney all starting and with Farrel/Sexton at 12 there could be 4 place kickers in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If Zebo doesn't get picked he'll have every right to feel disappointed but I don't think he was ever nailed on to go. His injury came at an awful time, a full 6N and maybe he'd have convinced the selectors.

matTNT wrote: »
    Big question, who will be the Lions kicker. I could see Laidlaw, Sexton/Farrell and Halfpenney all starting and with Farrel/Sexton at 12 there could be 4 place kickers in the team.

I can't see Laidlaw starting tests and if he does he won't be kicker, he doesn't have nearly the range of Sexton never mind 1/2p. I'd say it'll be between Sexton and 1/2p, whoever has been kicking better on tour. Both are excellent kickers.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would have thought Sexton would be the first choice kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The 10, most likely Sexton, will be the main kicker. 1/2p will be there for the long range ones. Laidlaw won't start and Roberts will be at 12.

I think that will be very close to the squad alright - I don't think Stephen Jones would be capable of coming up with that good a pick at a squad unless he had the inside track. It's a strong squad too. Murray can count himself a very unlucky, don't think POM would be first reserve flanker or even particularly close to it to be honest.

No Ashton is another plus point in that pick. I think the English media will be very disappointed with their representation but it has been on the cards given Gatland's hints and comments of late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think this Australia don't really kick is a bit of a myth. Yes they're no S.A. but they do kick fairly often Cooper in particular loves to probe teams with attacking kicks.

They don't play the predominately kicking game that SA did.

If Sexton starts I'd give him the kicking because he thrives on the pressure and is fantastic at it, Halfpenny taking the long ones of course.

Having said that Halfpenny is pretty damn metronomic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You'd think Kearney has only ever played well against SA.

He hasn't been at his best at all this season and I reckon he'll be lucky to tour but you only have to look to last season to see what he offers at his best.

Which I acknowledged they do however kick a good deal more than the popular consensus would lead you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eltonio

matTNT wrote: »

No way will Laidlaw start at scrum half or Sexton/Farrell at centre ! Injuries permitting it will be a straight choice between Halfpenny or Sexton as to who will be goal kicker. Possibly both with Halfpenny taking the long rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

To be honest I wouldnt be dissapointed with Brad Barrit at 12 alongside BOD. Sexton could get around Barrit and BOD and play the loop moves he often does with Leinster.
    Barrit would free BOD up more to shoot up in the defence line. At the moment id rather Barrit than that truck Roberts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Not a massive fan of Barritt but I find it odd how people rave about BOD's defensive work so much, yet Barritt who was was probably the best defensive 12 of the past 18 months gets pretty much derided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement