Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

danthefan wrote: »
    Some nonsense about POC's ability to look intimidating at the pre-match coin toss, apparently helped his Lions captaincy case.

Honestly.
    intimidating towards to the coin or the opposition captain? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Stev_o wrote: »
    And who is the alternative ? Farrell is a worse player trying to play the same style, Biggar is average and Flood can't run a backline.

Madigan has yet to play at that high level but he ll travel on utility basis.

Sexton
    Wilko
    Madigan

That's a solid bunch to bring.

Your joking right?

Why would you bother with Wilkinson? Farrell is in better form and he clearly has much more about him than a boot. Just because England have asked him to play that role doesn't mean he is limited to it.

Farrell will travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

To be fair there was a lot more to Wilkinsons game today then kicks and drop goals, but at the same time it is difficult to see Gatland sitting down with Owen's dad for the final squad meeting this evening or tomorrow and going: "So...Andy...late change of plans at 10..."

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

And who is the alternative ? Farrell is a worse player trying to play the same style, Biggar is average and Flood can't run a backline.

Madigan has yet to play at that high level but he ll travel on utility basis.

Sexton
    Wilko
    Madigan

That's a solid bunch to bring.

Would like to see Maddog go but Hook may be ahead of him. Don't think they would risk playing such an inexperienced player in such an important position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Coburger wrote: »
    Would like to see Maddog go but Hook may be ahead of him. Don't think they would risk playing such an inexperienced player in such an important position.

Someone should have told Declan Kidney that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Buer wrote: »
    Saying Flood can't run a back line as a reason to bring Wilko makes little sense. Wilko passed the ball 12 times in 80 minutes today.

Gatland has suggested he will take two outhalves. They'll be Sexton and Farrell and rightly so. Farrell and Wilko are very similar as unpalatable as that is. If Saracens were on top up front today, he'd be getting the plaudits. He kicks well and makes his tackles. Not as metronomic as Wilko but probably offers more to his backs at this point.

Farrell also covers 12 and 13 which is a significant bonus. Sexton is well ahead now though. Not a vintage crop.

Its a ****ing awful crop of players outside of Sexton who if he gets injured the tour is ****ed. My point was more if you take Flood over Wilko your taking a guy who defensively, positional kicking and kicking off the tee are worse then Wilko. Realistically barring Sexton getting injured he ll play every test to the 75 or so minute. Now cast your mind back to Game 2 in SA and that closing sequence what player in that situation would you want from the current OH that are touted to tour.

Also while I'm at it I want to make the distinction of having Wilko as a 5 minute guy to secure a win rather then a guy who is going to pull the game back. If Sexton goes down at some stage and we are miles behind the Aussies I want and everyone else should want Madigan at 10. Just making that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a significant drop of quality from Sexton to the others. Sadly a lot of people live in the world of "A great goal-kicker makes a great 10" and players like Farrell are overrated.

The Lions don't need to worry about having great goalkickers at 10 in the squad, as long as Sexton and Halfpenny are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

To be fair there was a lot more to Wilkinsons game today then kicks and drop goals, but at the same time it is difficult to see Gatland sitting down with Owen's dad for the final squad meeting this evening or tomorrow and going: "So...Andy...late change of plans at 10..."

Had to laugh at this one :D Farrell will go, (maybe Wilkinson too).

Coburger wrote: »
    Had to laugh at this one :D Farrell will go, (maybe Wilkinson too).

It's actually a serious point. I doubt Andy will be too pleased to see his son suddenly get dropped from contention by Gatland.

Also I don't think both Farrell and Wilkinson will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wilkinson is nailed on for no.10 Hopefully he gets selected would be great for an iconic player. O Driscoll and Wilkinson on the same team would be great to see

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wadacrack wrote: »
    wilkinson is nailed on for no.10 Hopefully he gets selected would be great for an iconic player. O Driscoll and Wilkinson on the same team would be great to see

He certainly isn't nailed on. Far from it.

He all but said he shouldn't be going in his interview after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

what's the whole coin toss stuff about that's been floating around the forum this weekend?
    A bunch of mainly Munster fans thought Heaslip was failing as Ireland captain during the 6 nations because he wasn't inspiring during the coin toss.

Another group of Munster fans think that POC should be Lions captain because he supposedly looked intimidating during the coin toss against Clermont.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was it not the Harlequins game were he looked "intimidating" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

shuffol wrote: »
    BOD's defensive work is one facet of his game, with Barritt its almost his whole game.

Well to be honest for a large proportion of the last 3 seasons, BOD hasn't offered much more than defence, certainly at international level.

A bunch of mainly Munster fans thought Heaslip was failing as Ireland captain during the 6 nations because he wasn't inspiring during the coin toss.

Another group of Munster fans think that POC should be Lions captain because he supposedly looked intimidating during the coin toss against Clermont.

I thought it was just one person? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Exaggerate much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Stephen Jones says that Heaslip's "old links with Gatland have helped him" for Lions selection. What's he referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Exaggerate much?

Did you see jm08's post?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Watching his post match interview, Willinson doesn't seem pushed on going. But he should definitely be asked imo. Sexton will start, but I'd feel much better about the Lion's chances with Wilkinson ready to come off the bench. If Farrell plays many minutes during the Test matches Australia will win. Wilkinson is solid as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Stephen Jones says that Heaslip's "old links with Gatland have helped him" for Lions selection. What's he referring to?

2009 tour? It's the only thing I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

If Barnes' selection is right, Best and Kearney can count themselves very lucky. Heaslip sneaks in after a good few weeks and a lack of alternatives. With my Munster hat on, POM, Murray and Zebo are all very unlucky, but they would all probably be the first reserve in their respective positions.

Out of interest, do you ever take that hat off?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

3 welsh defeats to oz in the summer worry me if the squad is predominantly welsh then again none of the teams really inspired much confidence in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Did you see jm08's post?!

Yes.

Did you read ciarans.....

Let's not tar everyone with jm08s brush....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Well to be honest for a large proportion of the last 3 seasons, BOD hasn't offered much more than defence, certainly at international level.

Who has scored more and created more tries for Ireland since April 2010? Genuine question. Off the top of my head, maybe Earls has scored more and Sexton created more. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Who has scored more and created more tries for Ireland since April 2010? Genuine question. Off the top of my head, maybe Earls has scored more and Sexton created more. I could be wrong though.

I have literally no idea, but i can't imagine we have scored that many tries in recent years. Our back play has been mostly poor for quite some time now, lack of a dedicated backs coach certainly doesn't help.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd guess bod for both

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Also while I'm at it I want to make the distinction of having Wilko as a 5 minute guy to secure a win rather then a guy who is going to pull the game back. If Sexton goes down at some stage and we are miles behind the Aussies I want and everyone else should want Madigan at 10. Just making that clear.

I wouldn't disagree with that. As I said in another post, Wilko would be ideal coming in and putting it to bed in the last few minutes of a test. But that's a very specific scenario. He wouldn't be the man to chase a game nor would I be taking Sexton off for him if the Lions were a single score ahead. That's a very specific remit.

In a 36 man squad that have to play 10 games in just over a month, I don't think they can afford to carry a player with such a specific function. He won't be the man to move a back line and get them running in the warm up games to see what centre combinations are working best. Farrell would be better suited for running the ball (not that he's brilliant at it) and moving it. His flexibility for the schedule is much more suited too.

I'd be very surprised if Madigan got a call for the tour. Laidlaw and Hook are more likely and more experienced options that can cover 10 along with other positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eltonio

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Well to be honest if you actually looked into it when he has been fit and played BOD has consistently scored and created tries. As for this season the one game he got some decent ball was the welsh game in which he showed to all what he is still capable of. For example how many NH outside centres do you know of would have pulled off that pass for Zebo's try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

eltonio wrote: »
    Well to be honest if you actually looked into it when he has been fit and played BOD has consistently scored and created tries. As for this season the one game he got some decent ball was the welsh game in which he showed to all what he is still capable of. For example how many NH outside centres do you know of would have pulled off that pass for Zebo's try?

I reckon Tuilagi might have done it, that's the only other one I could think of though. Your right in that sense, tbh I think O Driscoll's vision is great and his mind and ball skills are impeccable he has lost some of his pace though, funnily enough I think it is the former we will need with the other backs that are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

matTNT wrote: »
    I reckon Tuilagi might have done it, that's the only other one I could think of though. Your right in that sense, tbh I think O Driscoll's vision is great and his mind and ball skills are impeccable he has lost some of his pace though, funnily enough I think it is the former we will need with the other backs that are there.

Tuilagi would have made the half break but I don't think he'd have threaded that pass at all. Maybe two or three times out of ten. It's just not in his nature. 3 starts and 1 sub appearance in the 6N and he passed the ball 6 times. BOD passed 9 times against Scotland alone. Tuilagi doesn't have a creative aspect to his repertoire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement