Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Irish players who I think will travel..
    POC, BOD, Zebo, Kearney, SOB, Healy, Best, Bowe.. Heaslip and Murray have decent chances of going too.. Madigan and POM with outside chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Irish players who I think will travel..
    POC, BOD, Zebo, Kearney, SOB, Healy, Best, Bowe.. Heaslip and Murray have decent chances of going too.. Madigan and POM with outside chances.

Add Ross to the outside chances list

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Brian4416

not leicester either imo

healy sob sexton and bod are certs to make the squad while Ross heaslip and kearney are maybes. i would be surprised to see more than 5 from any other club/province

Adam Jones, Cole are certainties. How is Ross being mentioned seriously? He only plays one side of the scrum. He will be an alterate behind Euan Murray and Paul James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Brian4416 wrote: »
    Adam Jones, Cole are certainties. How is Ross being mentioned seriously? He only plays one side of the scrum. He will be an alterate behind Euan Murray and Paul James.

There are basically no props up for selection who can adequately cover both sides of the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

many people have him in their outside chances list including Skysports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Indo reporting that Warburton is captain while Robshaw will miss out completely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

trouttrout wrote: »

Wow. I thought Robshaw would start to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eltonio

danthefan wrote: »
    There are basically no props up for selection who can adequately cover both sides of the scrum.

One or two pundits thinking Matt Stevens might go as he does just that. I wouldn't put my own money on it though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

There'll be 6 props and playing two sides doesn't really matter anymore. Yes Jones and Coles are nailed on yes but there's a third tighthead spot up for grabs. Murray has been poor for a few years now and James is a loosehead who can play a bit at tighthead if he goes it'll be as a loosehead. Ross is mainly getting in people's squads by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Having two props on the bench means being able to play both sides is no longer that much of an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

trouttrout wrote: »

I just dont get Warburton as captain. On his day he is an exceptional player but those days have been few and far between since the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

bilston wrote: »
    I just dont get Warburton as captain. On his day he is an exceptional player but those days have been few and far between since the WC.

Few do, but apparently they have a great working relationship. Seems a big call to base it on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gatland has said 6 props 3 on each side. lions has 23 man squads so you don't need someone who can play both sides. this promotes Ross from no hoper to decent chance of touring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »

I've made my feelings clear on the subject, but I just can't get around it at all, I think it would be a terrible call, borderline inept. He could do without the pressure of captaincy, he is a player drifting in and out of form in the most competitive area for selection, he supposedly turned down the Welsh captaincy during the 6N and both he and his team performed better when he was relieved of the responsibility. Several pundits are supporting the idea and I just don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Paul James is well able to play both sides but I don't think being ambipropsterous is all that big a deal since they extended the match day squads.

Would still bring James though as a loosehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

That's more than Australia have. They still pick Kepu these days, for example. He is NOT an international prop.
    Stephen Jones reckons the scrum is where the tests will be defined. He even thinks this is how England snuffed out Aussie in 2007. Couldn't be more wrong. England bossed and bullied at the breakdown, neutralising Aussie back row and forcing them to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does Carl Hayman have any Irish blood in him? :D

Start him and then bring on Adam Jones for the last 20. Let the destruction begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

JustinDee wrote: »
    That's more than Australia have. They still pick Kepu these days, for example. He is NOT an international prop.
    Stephen Jones reckons the scrum is where the tests will be defined. He even thinks this is how England snuffed out Aussie in 2007. Couldn't be more wrong. England bossed and bullied at the breakdown, neutralising Aussie back row and forcing them to commit.

Please don't swear in public ;)

Australia haven't had a scrum worth the name in living memory. It hasn't bothered them a jot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Australia haven't had a scrum worth the name in living memory. It hasn't bothered them a jot.
    I know that and I was just showing how little [swear word] can see in a game, particularly when analysing it.
    Been a while since a combo like Blades, Kearns and Noriega kept that part of the Aussie game tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They absolutely annihilated us in the scrum back in 2009 in Croke Park. How we got a draw is a complete mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Probably a stupid question but i see that some bookies are giving odds on the series finishing 2-0 to either the lions or the wallabies,, can someone explain how thats possible? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nuigforce wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but i see that some bookies are giving odds on the series finishing 2-0 to either the lions or the wallabies,, can someone explain how thats possible? :o
    not sure but i think its betting that one team wins 2 tests and the 3rd is a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Will this be streamed anywhere? I ll be stuck in school with no access to a TV ..

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

not sure but i think its betting that one team wins 2 tests and the 3rd is a draw

or the loosing team throws their toys out of the pram after loosing the second test and refuses to play the last test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

So going for what I think will be the squad picked tomorrow:

Props (6): Jones, Cole, Ross, Jenkins, Healy, James
    Hooker (3): Hibbard, Youngs, Best
    SR (5): POC, AWJ, Parling, Evans, Hamilton
    Flanker (5): Warburton, Tipuric, SOB, Croft, Brown
    8 (2): Heaslip, Faletau

9 (3): Phillips, Youngs, Care*
    10 (3): Sexton, Wilkinson, Farrell

Centers (4): Tuilagi, BOD, Roberts, Barritt
    Wings (4): Cuthbert, North, Bowe, Zebo
    Fullback (3): Hogg, Halfpenny, Kearney

15 Welsh
    11 Irish
    9 English
    4 Scottish

I'd prefer it was Murray but I think Gatland will elect for Care based on the hard grounds in Australia. Murray will certainly be on stand-by.

The toughest choice was Maitland and Zebo. Just went for Zebo based on the spark he could bring.

The other area I fancy myself to be wrong in are Launchbury vs Hamilton and Brown vs Robshaw. Also got a sneaky feeling it could be Barritt over Davies because Davies passing is too suspect to play 12. He is a very good 13 but I see BOD and Tuilagi being better choices. Vunipola over James could be another but Gatland has a good ball carrying LH in Healy. As for Lydiate I just haven't heard enough about if he is playing well or not to think Gatland will include him.

I think Gatland will change his mind on the number of OH's he brings just like the props.

I've been quite generous giving 11 Irish spots but then again I am Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

its_phil wrote: »
    So going for what I think will be the squad picked tomorrow:

Props (6): Jones, Cole, Ross, Jenkins, Healy, James
    Hooker (3): Hibbard, Youngs, Best
    SR (5): POC, AWJ, Parling, Evans, Hamilton
    Flanker (5): Warburton, Tipuric, SOB, Croft, Brown
    8 (2): Heaslip, Faletau

9 (3): Phillips, Youngs, Care*
    10 (3): Sexton, Wilkinson, Farrell

Centers (4): Tuilagi, BOD, Roberts, Barritt
    Wings (4): Cuthbert, North, Bowe, Zebo
    Fullback (3): Hogg, Halfpenny, Kearney

15 Welsh
    11 Irish
    9 English
    4 Scottish

I'd prefer it was Murray but I think Gatland will elect for Care based on the hard grounds in Australia. Murray will certainly be on stand-by.

The toughest choice was Maitland and Zebo. Just went for Zebo based on the spark he could bring.

The other area I fancy myself to be wrong in are Launchbury vs Hamilton and Brown vs Robshaw. Also got a sneaky feeling it could be Barritt over Davies because Davies passing is too suspect to play 12. He is a very good 13 but I see BOD and Tuilagi being better choices. Vunipola over James could be another but Gatland has a good ball carrying LH in Healy. As for Lydiate I just haven't heard enough about if he is playing well or not to think Gatland will include him.

I think Gatland will change his mind on the number of OH's he brings just like the props.

I've been quite generous giving 11 Irish spots but then again I am Irish!

LOL 11 Irish players, and we won 1 match:rolleyes:

Rumours circulating that Madigan is in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

buyer95 wrote: »

It's not unrealistic at all. I reckon it will be 10 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Madigan, zebo, murray are in apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Putting money on Madigan right now, Gareth Davies latest to say he thinks he will travel, apparently Gatland isn't keen on Farrell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Not by anything more than a converted try.

We'll see tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement