Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I expect up to the minute coverage on boards.ie by those of us inconvenienced by stupid work

Not sure I can type fast enough, but will try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Strong rumours that Madigan is in the squad. Backed into 1/8 from 12/1. Saw it on Irish Times blog.
    There's some merit in bringing him as he can operate quite well in a number of positions other than ten and is good defensively as well as in attack.

Rowntreee and Howley saw him play at 12 for the first time last Saturday and couldn't have been disappointed. Gatland could bring two tens and Madigan and would have ample cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Here's a prediction: Joe Schmidt will be a coach on the next lions tour, the only question is whether its coaching the lions or new zeland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I just can't understand why you would go over there with only two out-halves; I know that Gatland has says he wants each to get enough game time before the tests, but it means that each guy has to either play or be on the bench for every game and if there's an injury, we're f**ked.

So I think one of Laidlaw, Hook or Madigan will travel. Jonny Wilkinson is, on form, the second-best out-half available but I don't think he'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is it streaming live anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

The Lions have three goal-kickers nailed on in Sexton, Farrell and Halfpenny. So Laidlaw, who I'd see as a goal-kicking SH (and not the third best scrumhalf available for selection), shouldn't be picked. Hook has his timetable concerns with Toulon, so Madigan seems like the most likely choice as the cover flyhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

MattD wrote: »
    The Lions have three goal-kickers nailed on in Sexton, Farrell and Halfpenny. So Laidlaw, who I'd see as a goal-kicking SH (and not the third best scrumhalf available for selection), shouldn't be picked. Hook has his timetable concerns with Toulon, so Madigan seems like the most likely choice as the cover flyhalf.

Hook plays for Perpignan so no timetable issues for him, I think you're mixing him up with Wilkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Here's a prediction: Joe Schmidt will be a coach on the next lions tour, the only question is whether its coaching the lions or new zeland

Good call although I wonder though if he would be able to jump straight from the Ireland job to the AB one. I think he would have to spend a year or two with a Super 15 side first or at the very least as assistant to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I hope I am wrong but I sincerely doubt Madigan will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There was a report on the BBC website this morning mentioning Madigan as a possible bolter which is the first time I've seen him mentioned in mainstream media outside of Ireland. It could happen, I still suspect not, but it could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

For all the rumours and as much as id love to see it I just can't see Madigan travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Just heard a rumour Devin Toners the lions captain, can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Names I heard are Madigan, Heaslip, Healy, SOB, BOD, POC, D Ryan, Murray & Zebo. No mention of Kearney but I'd guess he's on it.

If this turns out to be true then 'm suprised with Ryan's inclusion and delighted for Madigan and Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

bilston wrote: »
    There was a report on the BBC website this morning mentioning Madigan as a possible bolter which is the first time I've seen him mentioned in mainstream media outside of Ireland. It could happen, I still suspect not, but it could.

Saw it on skysports as well. Possibly I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Wilkinson ahead of Farrell which then pushes Farrell out in favour of Madigan. Sexton and Wilkinson cover 10 so there is no point in bringing another 10. Madigan comes in as a utility back rather than a specific 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Don't think I've done one of these before, so here's my guess at the squad:

Props (6): Jenkins, Healy, Cole, A Jones, Vunipola, Ross
    Hookers (3): T Youngs, Hibbard, Best
    Second Row (4): AW Jones, O'Connell, Parling, Evans
    Flanks (5): Tipuric, Warburton, O'Brien, Lydiate, Croft
    no. 8 (2): Faletau, Heaslip
    SH (3): Youngs, Phillips, Care
    OH (3): Sexton, Farrell, Hook
    Centre (4): BOD, Roberts, Tuilagi, Davies
    Wing (4): North, Cuthbert, Bowe, Maitland
    FB (3): Halfpenny, Hogg, Kearney

That's only two Scots so someone like Kelly Brown or Euan Murray might get in ahead of Croft or Ross to balance up the numbers, maybe Richie Gray or Jim Hamiton as a fifth lock.

I think what we're all forgetting in this thread is that every Lions tour suffers a mass of injuries, so the fringe Irish guys like Zebo, O'Mahony, Strauss and Madigan have excellent chances of seeing a red jersey at some stage (particularly since the Leinster guys have 3-4 more games to impress).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I can't see Farrell not being picked. It would just seem odd with his Dad involved with the set up.

That said, I don't think he's been good enough to go. If Sexton is out Halfpenny can take up the kicking duties. I think someone like Hook or Madigan or both are a better shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Lads is this going to be streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

trouttrout wrote: »
    Lads is this going to be streamed anywhere?

Someone posted a link further up the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Do not post links to streams sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Is RTE or BBC doing a radio stream live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Do not post links to streams sites.

What if its legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Should we have a seperate thread for the live announcement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

There's a lot of talk of Madigan being included today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Really hope Madigan goes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Farrell will travel as, aside from being very, very likely to go as one of the two outhalves, he has significant experience in the centre also. He has started two of his last three AP games at 12, for example. He has also started a number of games at 13. Madigan has one start in his career at 12. I just can't see him going ahead of Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Spud83 wrote: »
    What if its legal?
    that's fine

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Props: Jones, Cole, Ross, Jenkins, Healy, James
    Hooker: Hibbard, Youngs, Best
    SR: POC, AWJ, Parling, Evans, Hamilton
    Flanker: Warburton, Tipuric, SOB, Robshaw, POM
    8: Heaslip, Faletau

9: Phillips, Youngs, Laidlaw
    10: Sexton, Farrell