Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hartley being Lions captain would make me physically ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think the Sky influence is massively over-rated. Best is a better hooker then Hartley, end of. Hartley will probably travel but I get the impression he'd make a poor tourist. As for him being captain, not in a million and one years.

I think many things of Gatland, but him being easily swayed by public opinion is not one of them.

I hope your right. Be awful see Hartley starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hartley is not a bad player. People dislike him and it colours opinions of how good a rugby player he is. I would say he's overwhelmingly likely to travel.

Captain though - not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Hartley being Lions captain would make me physically ill.

The captain has to be liked and/or respected by all the other lads on tour. I don't know if Hartley fills either of those criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think the Sky influence is massively over-rated. Best is a better hooker then Hartley, end of. Hartley will probably travel but I get the impression he'd make a poor tourist. As for him being captain, not in a million and one years.

I think many things of Gatland, but him being easily swayed by public opinion is not one of them.

Hooker is not a position of great depth for the Lions; England have no-one other than Hartley, Scotland have no-one full stop and Rees is very injury prone.

We could well see Best and Strauss out there.

• Advertisement

Hooker is not a position of great depth for the Lions; England have no-one other than Hartley, Scotland have no-one full stop and Rees is very injury prone.

?

You don't rate Ross Ford obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

danthefan wrote: »
    ?

Neither do I. Watch him in a game. He is a woeful rugby player at the highest level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I rate Ford at a reasonable level, though if Gatland only brings three hookers he could well see himself losing out to Hartley, Best and Rees. Personally I would have Hartley and Best competing for the jersey with Rees a bit behind (I'd actually probably take Ford over Rees but doubt Gatland will). There is a bit of a fall off after Best/Hartley.

I rate Ford at a reasonable level, though if Gatland only brings three hookers he could well see himself losing out to Hartley, Best and Rees. Personally I would have Hartley and Best competing for the jersey with Rees a bit behind (I'd actually probably take Ford over Rees but doubt Gatland will). There is a bit of a fall off after Best/Hartley.

Just had a look at some previous squads, some had 3 hookers and some 4, so there's a call to be made there. Best and Rees I would think are certainties.

danthefan wrote: »

?

No, not really. I know he was picked for the last tour but I reckon he benefited from lack of alternatives and the need to have a few Scots there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Ford is a decent if not spectacular hooker. Really don't think he would have started during the last tour had Jerry not been injured or had Best being playing to the standard he is now.

Right now the two best options are Best and Strauss. Which ever has the number 2 shirt for Ireland come May will probably be the front runner. Bar a major shake up of the books from Ford or Hartley, which I can't see happening bar their limitationss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Ford is a decent if not spectacular hooker. Really don't think he would have started during the last tour had Jerry not been injured or had Best being playing to the standard he is now.

Right now the two best options are Best and Strauss. Which ever has the number 2 shirt for Ireland come May will probably be the front runner. Bar a major shake up of the books from Ford or Hartley, which I can't see happening bar their limitationss

there's a chance that 3 Irish hookers could be selected...

Best is top hooker in NH, cronin and Strauss are made for the hard ground.
    Hartley's discipline, penchant for biting and unpopularity with opposition players will not work in his favour of selection never mind captaincy. Ford's lineout is a lottery at the highest level.

Also, i think Sky will be too busy trumpeting the selection of Robshaw as captain and messers Lawes, Farrell, Tuilagi, Barrett, Morgan & Flood as potential tourists - none of whom maybe bar Robshaw & Lawes i think should travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19767289

Dan Lydiate suffered a broken and dislocated ankle tonight. He's a definite tourist as it stands. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody awful news for Dragons more so - easily their best player sidelined. He was a definite tourist but faced stiff competition to start, at least it is somewhere there is a lot of options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah he'll be back and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him push his way back into the team

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sky are doing a Lions index after each HEC round this season. It's based on their pundits who rate all the players out of 10 and then they take the highest and lowest scores and work out an average for each player. It's a bit of fun really. I assume the points will be carried over each week so it may give some ideas on form eventually.

Noticeable picks from week 1 are Marshall and Zebo. Cipriani gets in as does Nick Easter. Tom Hayes gets a mention as do Chris Henry and Iain Henderson though none of those three are first choice.

Adam Jones at TH is probably the only player picked first in week 1 that will actually make the test team although Jonathan Davies and Chris Robshaw will doubtless be close.

Stephen Jones in yesterday's ST said that Dylan Hartley is favourite for the #2 jersey. How odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Stephen Jones in yesterday's ST said that Dylan Hartley is favourite for the #2 jersey. How odd.

Might have something to do with the fact that Jones is a complete tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Any chance he said Henson for 12 aswell? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The same Stephen Jones who said the Lions should have brought Henson and not BOD in 2009?

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    The same Stephen Jones who said the Lions should have brought Henson and not BOD in 2009?

He said POC shouldn't have started in 09 aswell iirc despite him being bloody cpatain.

Think the Henson one was in a team he picked in Summer 2010 when he was asked what would current lions team be. Was still utterly ridiculous, but I'd doubt many take him seriously anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Might have something to do with the fact that Jones is a complete tool

I'll second that.

bilston wrote: »

And that Shanklin should start ahead of BOD. Luckily, he was ignored (if anyone was listening to him in the first place), and Roberts + BOD was awesome.

Barring something extraordinary you'd have to imagine Best is a shoe-in for 2. It'll be hard to pick a side alright, on current form the only certs are A.Jones, Gray, Roberts, North, Sexton and Best for me. Some very wide open positions

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would not be amazed if he won the jersey in the absence of Best. Yes he's a prat, but he would be our prat. He seems to be a pretty respected leader within the teams he plays in and he seems like a sharp guy.

Best is well ahead of him though for me. If Best got injured I wouldn't be appalled to see Hartley playing. He's a tough committed player and he'll wind the Ozzies right up.

Currently
    Best >> Strauss >> Hartley >>>>>>>>>>> Ford

I would not be amazed if he won the jersey in the absence of Best. Yes he's a prat, but he would be our prat. He seems to be a pretty respected leader within the teams he plays in and he seems like a sharp guy.

Best is well ahead of him though for me. If Best got injured I wouldn't be appalled to see Hartley playing. He's a tough committed player and he'll wind the Ozzies right up.

Especially as he's a Kiwi (even if he has gone well & truly beyond the pale in playing for England)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Barring something extraordinary you'd have to imagine Best is a shoe-in for 2. It'll be hard to pick a side alright, on current form the only certs are A.Jones, Gray, Roberts, North, Sexton and Best for me. Some very wide open positions

Gray is far from a test spot. He has been absolutely rubbish for Sale, who are bottom of the Premiership. Gray has been absolutely found out as miles off the pace in the tight. Yeah, he is a great ball carrier, but is that really what the Lions will want from their second rows? People appear to be wise to him now, and he could well have a serious case of second season syndrome.

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Gray is far from a test spot. He has been absolutely rubbish for Sale, who are bottom of the Premiership. Gray has been absolutely found out as miles off the pace in the tight. Yeah, he is a great ball carrier, but is that really what the Lions will want from their second rows? People appear to be wise to him now, and he could well have a serious case of second season syndrome.

Good coaching is what he needs. He has the raw goods. I'm sure Gatland is up to the task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »

Australia aren't exactly known for their tight 5 though. If the Lions play an expansive game, he would fit in pretty well in that. Guarantees lineout ball for set-piece moves and can carry well for a second row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement