Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    SOB made a good fist of 7, but he's a 6>8 for me. My match day squad would have 2 out of Ferris, SOB & Croft. Ferris & SOB for grunt, but Croft is an excellent line out option, and if 4&5 aren't securing reliable ball, Croft is your man. Lineouts generally more important than scrums these days. I guess Lydiate would need to be considered too. Ferris needs to have an injury-free 6N I would think.

SOB was really stepping up as a 7 before his injury, he seemed to improve with every game, and even though he was carrying that injury in NZ he was excellent. Outplayed a certain Richie McCaw once or twice in that series, and although the great man wasn't at his best that is no mean feat in his own backyard.

It took him a while to adapt to a more complex role than he was used to, but he was starting to learn how to make best use of his size as an openside, and it was reaping rewards. You try moving him off the ball when he gets in that jackal position. Hopefully he comes back playing his best, if he does he has a great chance of traveling (at the very least).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I wouldn't have Zebo near a Lions squad - he's about 2 seasons too inexperienced at present, and you need players with impeccable positional sense, rock solidity under the high ball, and a good kicking game. My views might change if he has a good 6N though.

Two out of three ain't bad considering that you're ignoring the most important string to a wingers bow: an ability to score from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Zebo has been very strong so far. Looking forward to seeing him again. He could put pressure on Earls if he keeps the 11 jersey and Earls returns to the center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Needs to get thru a 6N without gifting a try through missing a gimme tackle (England, build up to RWC. Wales, RWC 1/4 final). Lions series can be decided on such moments. If he can tick that box, could well travel.

Earls did exactly that in this years six nations

I wouldn't have Zebo near a Lions squad - he's about 2 seasons too inexperienced at present, and you need players with impeccable positional sense, rock solidity under the high ball, and a good kicking game. My views might change if he has a good 6N though.

These are actually some of Zebo's biggest strengths

• Advertisement

Yeah, defence is the problem with Zebo, he's got a cannon of a left boot

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yeah, defence is the problem with Zebo, he's got a cannon of a left boot

And very composed under the high ball

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah I'd be very surprised if he was picked for the Lions, because there are a lot of good back 3 players, but Zebo is as good as anyone under a high ball and has a monster of a left foot. Defence is still a concern admittedly.

Earls is a tough one...very talented, very versatile. I'd pick him as a utility back myself but Hogg is very good too. And then you've got Bowe, North, Foden, Cuthbert, Brown, Halfpenny, Ashton, Kearney, etc. all battling for back 3 positions too.

All depends on form I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    These are actually some of Zebo's biggest strengths

I would say the AB coaches licked their lips when Zebo was selected. I just think he needs a solid 6N to show provincial form can translate to internatoinal.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Earls did exactly that in this years six nations

Well I hope for his sake he can repeat. I can easily see Digby Ioane running at him, over him, around him - but I guess George North or Tuilagi will make good practice.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    SOB was really stepping up as a 7 before his injury, he seemed to improve with every game, and even though he was carrying that injury in NZ he was excellent. Outplayed a certain Richie McCaw once or twice in that series, and although the great man wasn't at his best that is no mean feat in his own backyard.

It took him a while to adapt to a more complex role than he was used to, but he was starting to learn how to make best use of his size as an openside, and it was reaping rewards. You try moving him off the ball when he gets in that jackal position. Hopefully he comes back playing his best, if he does he has a great chance of traveling (at the very least).

I think SOB is excellent. Along with Cian Healy he was routinely mentioned in the NZ press during the Irish tour, which given how inward looking the NZ press is, speaks volumes. I see him as more of a Jerry Collins/Jerome Kaino/Liam Messam style of player, rather than a Michael Jones/Josh Cronfeld/Richie McCaw.

Nullifying Pocock & Genia will be key, and even as a Kiwi I freely admit that Pocock is the breakdown king at present - so Gatland needs to decide if SOB at 7 is the man for the job. Personally I think he will go with Warburton.

Two out of three ain't bad considering that you're ignoring the most important string to a wingers bow: an ability to score from anywhere.

Not sure anymore about that. More of an added bonus than a must. NZ deliberately moved away from Rococoko & Sivivatu (who could score from anywhere) to Cory Jane & Richard Kahui etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think SOB is excellent. Along with Cian Healy he was routinely mentioned in the NZ press during the Irish tour, which given how inward looking the NZ press is, speaks volumes. I see him as more of a Jerry Collins/Jerome Kaino/Liam Messam style of player, rather than a Michael Jones/Josh Cronfeld/Richie McCaw.

Nullifying Pocock & Genia will be key, and even as a Kiwi I freely admit that Pocock is the breakdown king at present - so Gatland needs to decide if SOB at 7 is the man for the job. Personally I think he will go with Warburton.

Warburton is a cert. I don't care what Gatland says in public, there is no way he won't pick his own national captain in the team and while that may or may not be the right call for the Lions I could completely understand it from Gatlands position. But that's the downside of selecting a current national coach as Lions head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

I don't think either of Ferris of Warburton have much of a chance of getting through the tour without injuring themselves. They're too intense, and both of them are made of glass. I would expect Lydiate, O'Brien and Heaslip to end up as the test back row because they'll be the last men standing.

Tipuric is the most likely 'bolter' for me. Hogg & Gray will travel, but I don't see either making the test 22. They'll be glad to have some Scottish representation.

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    I don't think either of Ferris of Warburton have much of a chance of getting through the tour without injuring themselves. They're too intense, and both of them are made of glass. I would expect Lydiate, O'Brien and Heaslip to end up as the test back row because they'll be the last men standing.

Tipuric is the most likely 'bolter' for me. Hogg & Gray will travel, but I don't see either making the test 22. They'll be glad to have some Scottish representation.

Out of interest, does anyone else rate some of the Scottish loosies, or I am being eccentric/going out on a limb?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Out of interest, does anyone else rate some of the Scottish loosies, or I am being eccentric/going out on a limb?

Denton's a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not sure anymore about that. More of an added bonus than a must. NZ deliberately moved away from Rococoko & Sivivatu (who could score from anywhere) to Cory Jane & Richard Kahui etc.

I'd say the very first trait any international player has to have in any position these days is be able to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »

I like Tipuric...superb player. But Steffon Armitage could also be in with a shout.

I would be surprised if Gray didn't start tbh, who do you think will start ahead of him?

And the Scots rate Hogg really really highly...might be because they haven't had a very talented outside back in years, of course.

I reckon Laidlaw should go too.

I was impressed with Denton, but does he maybe have a touch of Powell about him? Flatters to deceive a bit...

I think Rennie is better tbh, but not in the same class as some of the other back row options available.

Steffon Armitage surely has the most obvious potential for a "bolter" in Lions history. Top 14 player of the year in what will be a vital position v the Aussies. Hope England call him up, although they seem to have built up a love-affair with Robshaw at 7, so Lancaster has a big decision to make. In such a competitive area I can't see Armitage getting a Lions call up without recent international rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Rennie is a good player, as is Barclay. Beattie had one great season a while back but seems to have fallen back from there. Not sure any will challenge for a starting spot in the Lions team though tbh.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Rennie is a good player, as is Barclay. Beattie had one great season a while back but seems to have fallen back from there. Not sure any will challenge for a starting spot in the Lions team though tbh.

I just hope Gatland can avoid judging a player by his team, and consider all players on their merits. There have been some very very ordinary ABs selected in the past, because they had the good fortune to play with the Crusaders, and some very good players who struggled to get chosen because they were with the Chiefs for example (Chiefs pre this season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

No, they're good, but they tend to have a great season or two and then disappear off the radar somewhat or at least see their form tail off significantly. Scottish rugby has had Kelly Brown, Ally Hogg, Alisdair Strokosch, Johnny Beattie, Simon Taylor, Simon Gray, John Barclay, Nathan Hines, Richie Vernon, Ross Rennie and David Denton all start 6N games in just the past four 6N tournaments in the back row.

If Scotland ever had some consistency to establish a solid trio in the back row, they could have a world class unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well I hope for his sake he can repeat. I can easily see Digby Ioane running at him, over him, around him - but I guess George North or Tuilagi will make good practice.

Ioane didn't run over him in Croke Park (and that was very early in Earls career when there were question marks over his defence).

jm08 wrote: »
    Ioane didn't run over him in Croke Park (and that was very early in Earls career when there were question marks over his defence).

OK, I will just have to agree to disagree with most of ye on boards. I wouldn't risk Earls in my 15, I think he is a defensive liability. There, I have stuck my colours to the mast, but it would be great if he proved me wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

jm08 wrote: »

Ioane would have been doing well considering he was playing centre and Earls only came on at 11 for 25 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OK, I will just have to agree to disagree with most of ye on boards. I wouldn't risk Earls in my 15, I think he is a defensive liability. There, I have stuck my colours to the mast, but it would be great if he proved me wrong!

Earls' defence has improved hugely over the last twelve months, including at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Earls' defence has improved hugely over the last twelve months, including at international level.

15 is a very different ballgame though, particularly at Lions level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I like Tipuric...superb player. But Steffon Armitage could also be in with a shout.

I would be surprised if Gray didn't start tbh, who do you think will start ahead of him?

Tipuric is a great talent alright. Steffon has been immense for a superb Toulon team, I still rate Robshaw that bit higher though. great leader too tbf better than I originally thought.

Gray will surely start indeed. On current form though Lawes must start aswell. Been top notch in the premiership so far. Always rated him very highly but been plagued by injuries. A big six nations and he's in the team imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'm still not convinced SOB has the game at openside to compete with the best in the world, his displays against NZ were heartening but he has a monstrous workrate in defence and was always likely to stand out in games where the opposition had so much possession. he remains the most natural ball carrier in the country and it'd be nice to see him able to focus more on that part of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Higher wrote: »
    Irish potential bolter candidates:

Henderson, Zebo or Madigan...

Neither that likely. Although of the 3 you'd have to go with Madigan considering the dearth of outhalfs playing well.

*bolter generally means an uncapped, young, gamble player. Usually one is brought on every tour*

Was Zebo not capped in the first test in the summer tour to NZ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement