Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »
    Ioane would have been doing well considering he was playing centre and Earls only came on at 11 for 25 minutes!

He mustn't be very bright then not to run at Earls as surely he must have known that it was Earls' 3rd cap. Ioane passed the ball twice in that game and ran more times than both Australian wings combined.

Earls in his 3 times playing Australia, has never been on the losing side, which is more than can be said for North etc. ;)

MLC61 wrote: »
    Was Zebo not capped in the first test in the summer tour to NZ?

He was.

Earls was the bolter in 2009 with only 2 inter. caps against Canada & about 10 mins against NZ. O'Gara was the bolter in 2003 with a few minor/sub inter. appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Tipuric is a great talent alright. Steffon has been immense for a superb Toulon team, I still rate Robshaw that bit higher though. great leader too tbf better than I originally thought.

Gray will surely start indeed. On current form though Lawes must start aswell. Been top notch in the premiership so far. Always rated him very highly but been plagued by injuries. A big six nations and he's in the team imo

And no yellow/red cards...

But I agree, Lawes has X-factor, would take him if he can show he can add discipline to agression.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

shuffol wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced SOB has the game at openside to compete with the best in the world, his displays against NZ were heartening but he has a monstrous workrate in defence and was always likely to stand out in games where the opposition had so much possession. he remains the most natural ball carrier in the country and it'd be nice to see him able to focus more on that part of his game.
    The best use of the players we have is to have SOB at openside. He's the best 7 we have so playing him at openside is a no brainer.And imo Ferris is probably the better blindside.

I don't think he'll see much gametime at blindside for Leinster either. Mc Laughlin and Ruddock (when fit) take that position and the 7 jersey goes to SOB.

I don't think he'll start for the Lions tbh. I think he'll be a replacement as he can cover all positions in the backrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Clegg wrote: »
    The best use of the players we have is to have SOB at openside. He's the best 7 we have so playing him at openside is a no brainer.And imo Ferris is probably the better blindside.

I don't think he'll see much gametime at blindside for Leinster either. Mc Laughlin and Ruddock (when fit) take that position and the 7 jersey goes to SOB.

I don't think he'll start for the Lions tbh. I think he'll be a replacement as he can cover all positions in the backrow.

Think there's little or nothing between Ferris and SOB at blindside, but O'Brien's comfortably the best 7 in the country so thats where he should play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Swiwi wrote: »
    OK, I will just have to agree to disagree with most of ye on boards. I wouldn't risk Earls in my 15, I think he is a defensive liability. There, I have stuck my colours to the mast, but it would be great if he proved me wrong!

So you'd put Kearney ahead of him defensively?

So you'd put Kearney ahead of him defensively?

Yes I would. But then Kearney's a fullback, and Earls is a winger IMHO. Think he is a makeshift centre. Kearney was in fine form in 2009, outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

jm08 wrote: »
    He was.

Earls was the bolter in 2007 with only 2 inter. caps against Canada & about 10 mins against NZ. O'Gara was the bolter in 2003 with a few minor/sub inter. appearances.

I think you mean 2001 - against Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Yes I would. But then Kearney's a fullback, and Earls is a winger IMHO. Think he is a makeshift centre.

A makeshift centre who has shown up just as well (better imo) for Ireland as BOD over the last year? I'd take that any day.

A makeshift centre who has shown up just as well (better imo) for Ireland as BOD over the last year? I'd take that any day.

As I said earlier, I will agree to disagree with most people on this one, and here's hoping I'm proved wrong.

• Advertisement

MLC61 wrote: »
    I think you mean 2001 - against Australia.

Correct. And 2007 should be 2009!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

He was.

Earls was the bolter in 2009 with only 2 inter. caps against Canada & about 10 mins against NZ. O'Gara was the bolter in 2003 with a few minor/sub inter. appearances.

O'Gara was not a bolter in 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

shuffol wrote: »
    Think there's little or nothing between Ferris and SOB at blindside, but O'Brien's comfortably the best 7 in the country so thats where he should play.

I'd rate Ferris a bit higher than SOB at 6, but they're both top class really. And the fact that SOB will be playing there all the time for Leinster also means that's where he should play for Leinster.
    Yes I would. But then Kearney's a fullback, and Earls is a winger IMHO. Think he is a makeshift centre. Kearney was in fine form in 2009, outstanding.

Kearney is a great player, but defence is his weak point imo. I'd say Earls is stronger than him defensively.

And a lot of people thought he was a makeshift centre, but he didn't... He was a bit off what was needed to be a HC/international 13 but he has bridged that gap in the last year. His passing has improved immensely, as has his defence... I would say he's definitely the 2nd best Irish 13 now. In my opinion, he's also our 2nd best winger and our 2nd best full-back.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd rate Ferris a bit higher than SOB at 6, but they're both top class really. And the fact that SOB will be playing there all the time for Leinster also means that's where he should play for Leinster.

Kearney is a great player, but defence is his weak point imo. I'd say Earls is stronger than him defensively.

And a lot of people thought he was a makeshift centre, but he didn't... He was a bit off what was needed to be a HC/international 13 but he has bridged that gap in the last year. His passing has improved immensely, as has his defence... I would say he's definitely the 2nd best Irish 13 now. In my opinion, he's also our 2nd best winger and our 2nd best full-back.

All this Earls talk has got me intrigued! He will be under my microscope whenever I watch Munster/Ireland from now on...

I'm from neither Munster nor Leinster so I should be unbiased.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

All this Earls talk has got me intrigued! He will be under my microscope whenever I watch Munster/Ireland from now on...

I'm from neither Munster nor Leinster so I should be unbiased.

He's injured atm :(...I think we missed him badly at the weekend.

I think you'll find plenty of posts from me dismissing Earls as a 13, I didn't think he had what it took, but I've been hugely impressed with him in this calendar year.

O'Gara was not a bolter in 2001

He wasn't a clear first choice for Ireland at the time. David Humphreys started against England & Wales in the 6Ns in 2001 which were the last two games before the Lions Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He wasn't a clear first choice for Ireland at the time. David Humphreys started against England & Wales in the 6Ns in 2001 which were the last two games before the Lions Tour.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they played after the lions tour, in Autumn?

Foot and mouth

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they played after the lions tour, in Autumn?

Foot and mouth

Your right - that was the year of the foot and mouth.

But he still only had a couple of caps and the Humphreys v O'Gara debate was only starting then (and it went on for another 4/5 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If anyone's going to pick a GENUINE bolter, it's going to be Gatland.

Henderson might be in with a shot. Then again we have a good bit of depth in the back row (and I don't think he'll gt game time at lock this season).

I'd say a good shout to be a bolster right now would be Joe Simpson based on his form and our lack of depth at scrum half. Or else Paul Marshall. Given the lack of certainties at scrum half I wouldn't be surprised to see him reach beyond the national XVs to bring one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Would love to see Simpson get time in a Lions jersey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

If anyone's going to pick a GENUINE bolter, it's going to be Gatland.

Correct; Gatland is not afraid to pick youngsters and throw them in; BOD aged 20, Gordon D'Arcy aged 19, Tom Prydie aged 18, George North, Alex Cuthbert, multiple Welsh back-rowers, etc etc.

He has a great eye for talent and he's not afraid to back himself and his player; so it could well be the case that someone comes from absolutely nowhere to make the tour.

Correct; Gatland is not afraid to pick youngsters and throw them in; BOD aged 20, Gordon D'Arcy aged 19, Tom Prydie aged 18, George North, Alex Cuthbert, multiple Welsh back-rowers, etc etc.

He has a great eye for talent and he's not afraid to back himself and his player; so it could well be the case that someone comes from absolutely nowhere to make the tour.

And I damn well hope so too! Nothing like a wee bolter to spice up life during a dreary Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

And I damn well hope so too! Nothing like a wee bolter to spice up life during a dreary Spring.

Okay then if we're talking genuine bolters who are the contenders?

One from each country

Ireland - Iain Henderson
    England - George Ford
    Wales - Most of the young ones have already Bern capped - the Ospreys winger Eli ???? Someone
    Scotland - Tim Visser (bit of an obvious one)

bilston wrote: »
    Okay then if we're talking genuine bolters who are the contenders?

One from each country

Ireland - Iain Henderson
    England - George Ford
    Wales - Most of the young ones have already Bern capped - the Ospreys winger Eli ???? Someone
    Scotland - Tim Visser (bit of an obvious one)

None of the frontline halfbacks across the British & Irish Isles have definitively said pick me, so I reckon that's one spot open to a bolter for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Danny Care is my lions 9 frontrunner at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

None of the frontline halfbacks across the British & Irish Isles have definitively said pick me, so I reckon that's one spot open to a bolter for sure.

You're a Kiwi right? By halfback you mean scrum half only? Then I'd tend to agree that the position is up for grabs but I'm not really sure if there's any uncapped players around who'd be good enough. It's not a vintage batch of SHs in the B&I Lions nations at the moment so you'd think if anyone was good enough to tour they'd have been noticed.

At outhalf it would take something bizarre for Sexton to not get picked imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think whoever is starting at 9 for England will be the favourite for the Lions spot. They have a few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Danny Care for me too, great scrumhalf to put into that potential Lions backline, better than Phillips anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Danny Care has had a couple of off the field incidents, has he put all that past him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

danthefan wrote: »
    Danny Care has had a couple of off the field incidents, has he put all that past him?

Yeah, but so has Phillips and Gatland will still probably pick him. I don't think it will count against him, it all happened in about a 2 month period at the end of last year/ start of this, so hopefully he's put it behind him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement