Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When did Tuilagi beat up a team mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Ashton punch maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Assume it's referring to Ashton who wouldn't have been a team mate at that point.

ssaye wrote: »
    Ashton punch maybe?
    GerM wrote: »
    Assume it's referring to Ashton who wouldn't have been a team mate at that point.

I think you're right Ger, Tuilagi wasn't capped at that stage.

I thought beating up a team mate referred to beating up a Leicester team mate in training or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think you're right Ger, Tuilagi wasn't capped at that stage.

I thought beating up a team mate referred to beating up a Leicester team mate in training or something.

The Leicester lads beat each other up in training all the time. They're nuts there.

• Advertisement

Horgan mentioned his old team mate Nathan Hines as a potential tourist, he would be an excellent tourist IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

And he's getting a nice wee rest now ahead of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Steffens Armitage tested positive for a banned substance?

If he does end up getting banned, that could affect his (unjustifiably) slim selection hopes.

Steffens Armitage tested positive for a banned substance?

If he does end up getting banned, that could affect his (unjustifiably) slim selection hopes.

He tested positive for morphine after last season's Top14 final, Toulon doctors said it was a by-product of a painkiller.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/26/toulon-steffon-armitage-drugs-test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are Sky sports the only ones keeping this farce alive? It's like when real rugby meets mediocre. I remember being there in 1997 when the Lions triumphed in the series. My overwhelming memory from that event was that the Springboks didn't give a fcuk. They viewed it as an exhibition series. My father's disdain stayed with me even as a child. The biggest put down you can give is to say you don't care..

15 years on nobody cares about this crap apart from the usual hopeful clowns who fork out to go to these places. It only highlights how inferior the Northern hem is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are Sky sports the only ones keeping this farce alive? It's like when real rugby meets mediocre. I remember being there in 1997 when the Lions triumphed in the series. My overwhelming memory from that event was that the Springboks didn't give a fcuk. They viewed it as an exhibition series. My father's disdain stayed with me even as a child. The biggest put down you can give is to say you don't care..

15 years on nobody cares about this crap apart from the usual hopeful clowns who fork out to go to these places. It only highlights how inferior the Northern hem is.

This thread is 39 pages long a full 7 months before the tour starts, I think it's safe to say that it's not only Sky who are interested in the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Considering some of the opposing players prolong their career (e.g. John Eales) or stay in playing in the country in order to be eligible for this once in a career opportunity, I'd say they definitely care. I don't know where you get the impression they don't. The Wallabies have even admitted to looking towards the tour to some extent since the end of the World Cup.

I remember being there in 1997 when the Lions triumphed in the series. My overwhelming memory from that event was that the Springboks didn't give a fcuk. They viewed it as an exhibition series.

Could not be more untrue. That tour hugely caught the imagination of the SA public. It was hugely anticipated given that S.A. had recently become world champions and the Lions had not been there for 17 years due to apartheid. All the tests were packed out and the midweek matches were hugely committed and physical. Of all the tours of the last 30 years to say the host nation didn't give a damn, that's the last I'd choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Deftlefthand, I can unequivocally say that there will a large number of NZers avidly following the Lions tour, including this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

That's just so wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

First series I really followed was the SA tour, never had Sky Sports before that and I wasnt aware of streams so it may as well not have existed for me.

But I found that tour incredible in terms of intensity, drama, heartbreak, it had it all. The Boks certainly did give a shít as did all the midweek sides who came out looking for a scalp. As an event its amazing and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Have you by any chance sat on your hand until it went numb......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Is it a mark of how good Sexton is or how poor the competition is that he's pretty much nailed on first choice 10 ?

Surely we are not the only country with a truly world class 10. Are we ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Scioch wrote: »
    Is it a mark of how good Sexton is or how poor the competition is that he's pretty much nailed on first choice 10 ?

We are....

All the other countries bar Scotland don't even have a nailed on ten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

In the Northern Hemisphere, I would say yes, yes we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i wouldnt say Scotland have a nailed on 10 by any means 3 going for the spot in laidlaw, jackson and weir

Top level outhalves are extremely rare. There are very few that can pass, kick and run to the required standard and also have a defensive game and the coolness to control proceedings. Straight away you've ruled out 95% of them.

It's worth noting that Priestland was benched for last night despite Scarlets putting out the majority of their first team. He came on and kicked the winning penalty but, judging by the Scarlets fans, had another stinker. He could be out of the running before the 6N even begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mark of how good Sexton is? Maybe. Mark of how poor the alternatives are? Definitely.

Sexton is second in the world at 10 only to Dan Carter. In top tier rugby, only SA, NZ and Ireland have a definite first choice at 10, and at that Goosen and Jantjies are going to give Steyn a run for his money.

If Gatland goes with Priestland, it's every bit as ridiculous as Kidney's persistent inclusion of ROG.

Sexton in the North. Carter in the South.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Mark of how good Sexton is? Maybe. Mark of how poor the alternatives are? Definitely.

Sexton is second in the world at 10 only to Dan Carter. In top tier rugby, only SA, NZ and Ireland have a definite first choice at 10, and at that Goosen and Jantjies are going to give Steyn a run for his money.

If Gatland goes with Priestland, it's every bit as ridiculous as Kidney's persistent inclusion of ROG.

You must have missed the end of the 4N - Steyn was dropped cold. Goosen took his place, but promptly got injured, and Jantjes finished out the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

GerM wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Priestland was benched for last night despite Scarlets putting out the majority of their first team. He came on and kicked the winning penalty but, judging by the Scarlets fans, had another stinker. He could be out of the running before the 6N even begins.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dan Biggar's a bolter for the test series Down Under. Ditto Stuart Hogg.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Dan Biggar's a bolter for the test series Down Under. Ditto Stuart Hogg.

Stuart Hogg would not discredit a Lions shirt. Any player in the forthcoming Autumn internationals or 6N who stands out for Scotland should merit consideration by dint of that fact alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

cgpg5 wrote: »
    If you were to go down the route of selecting a captain who will be certain to start the three tests (as things stand) surely Rory Best has to be the leading contender?

Captain
    Was wondering about that, interesting though to hear Donal Lenihan on RTE earlier dismiss Warburton's chances of the captaincy on the grounds that he hadn't toured with the Lions before. You could rule Best out on the same grounds. I actually think Jamie Heaslip would be a good choice for captain. Captains Leinster a fair bit, often see him rallying other players after scores, pervious Lion, doesn't get injured that often, and close enough to a starter I think as one gets although I know the back row is hugely competitive. A backrow of Ferris/Lydiate (whichever one hasn't broken themself by next June), Heaslip and Tipuric with O'Brien off the bench around 50 minute mark would be awesome.

The idea of squad captain and then team captain for each test is interesting but don't know how it would work in practice.

BOD
    Would BOD tour if not a test starter? I can't imagine him as a dirt tracker and wouldn't be a good bench options, where you need the versatilty of someone like Earls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Captain
    Was wondering about that, interesting though to hear Donal Lenihan on RTE earlier dismiss Warburton's chances of the captaincy on the grounds that he hadn't toured with the Lions before. You could rule Best out on the same grounds. I actually think Jamie Heaslip would be a good choice for captain. Captains Leinster a fair bit, often see him rallying other players after scores, pervious Lion, doesn't get injured that often, and close enough to a starter I think as one gets although I know the back row is hugely competitive. A backrow of Ferris/Lydiate (whichever one hasn't broken themself by next June), Heaslip and Tipuric with O'Brien off the bench around 50 minute mark would be awesome.

The idea of squad captain and then team captain for each test is interesting but don't know how it would work in practice.

BOD
    Would BOD tour if not a test starter? I can't imagine him as a dirt tracker and wouldn't be a good bench options, where you need the versatilty of someone like Earls.

Would still bring great experience and be a big presence in the squad. Remember one of the first 2 choices can get injured before the first test too or not play well in warm up games. Bod can put his hand up for selection in warm up games too. The team won't be picked before the plane leaves so the best players will all be brought in every position

• Advertisement

Captain

BOD

Heaslip previously got red-carded for stamping in NZ. The one thing a Lions Captain can't do is get himself sent-off: it sends a bad message to the team + inevitably costs his side the match. I am also not sure Heaslip will be the first choice No 8 either.

O'Driscoll or O'Connell would seem the best Irish choices for captain, although Best has his merits: but would Welsh/Scottish/English players give Best the same respect that O'Driscoll & O'Connell would have? He is less well-established than those two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement