Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Hodgson's retired from internationals.

Bugger...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hodgson is playing for Saracens now. Retired from international rugby. I'd say he's definitely tightened up his defense these days. He hasn't started many games in the Premiership but in that competition Saracens' defense has been very tight and I'd imagine he's learned a lot under that structure.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Heaslip previously got red-carded for stamping in NZ. The one thing a Lions Captain can't do is get himself sent-off: it sends a bad message to the team + inevitably costs his side the match. I am also not sure Heaslip will be the first choice No 8 either.

O'Driscoll or O'Connell would seem the best Irish choices for captain, although Best has his merits: but would Welsh/Scottish/English players give Best the same respect that O'Driscoll & O'Connell would have? He is less well-established than those two.
    the sending off criteria rules out O'Connell and Warburton by the way. That's a silly comment, particularly for someone like Heaslip who has an otherwise impeccable record. I don't think he will or should be captain but still...

Edit: beaten to it by Scioch

Memo to self: must not have an opinion. Must meekly follow the masses like a lamb. Do come from a country of sheep after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

some of the odds on PP are interesting

to be Captain
    Warburton 4/11, Robshaw 4/1, POC 12/1, BOD 14/1, Best & Hartley 25/1, Heaslip 80/1 - it warburton's form continues to suffer and Tupiric continues to rise it might be between Best, Hartley & Heaslip as i just cant see Robshaw travelling ahead of Warburton, Tipuric or SOB.

1st Test Starter
    Heaslip 2/1, Lydiate 5/1, Tipuric 18/1 (warburton 2/7, SOB 4/6, Robshaw 6/4, Ferris 7/4)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Amazing odds on Robshaw for someone who will be lucky to travel, let alone start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Memo to self: must not have an opinion. Must meekly follow the masses like a lamb. Do come from a country of sheep after all...

You're entitled to all the opinions you want, just expect to be pulled up on it when you say something that you haven't fully thought through.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think if someone has a poor disciplinary record, like Jamie Cudmore for example, that would rule them out.

Heaslip kneeing McCaw was a very stupid, and dangerous, thing to do. Since then he has only picked up 1 yellow card, he'd 8 before that for Leinster :eek: , so I think it's safe to say that he learned alot from losing his cool that day. Not just from the scoreline!!

Tox56 wrote: »
    Amazing odds on Robshaw for someone who will be lucky to travel, let alone start.
    I don't think that's an opinion shared outside Ireland.

I don't think there's much chance he won't travel.

You're entitled to all the opinions you want, just expect to be pulled up on it when you say something that you haven't fully thought through.

But pull me up with evidence, not off-handed dismissive comments. I can be persuaded with reasoning...

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think if someone has a poor disciplinary record, like Jamie Cudmore for example, that would rule them out.

Heaslip kneeing McCaw was a very stupid, and dangerous, thing to do. Since then he has only picked up 1 yellow card, he'd 8 before that for Leinster :eek: , so I think it's safe to say that he learned alot from losing his cool that day. Not just from the scoreline!!

Yeah, the match went flat just like that, as Ireland with 14 was never going to beat NZ in NZ with 15. From what you've written, looks like he has improved his discipline no end. English fans in particular would never let him forget it, if a red card cost the Lions a series victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't think that's an opinion shared outside Ireland.

I don't think there's much chance he won't travel.

I'd say it's probably shared in Wales given who they have at 7!

Maybe travel is a bit of an exaggeration, but he'll be doing very well to start for the test team. I think he'd make a very good midweek captain.

I guess it depends if SOB gets back fit and who starts for Wales in the 6 Nations. Even if SOB doesn't start he is an ideal bench option (can cover all 3 backrow positions very well), so it's either start or nothing for Robshaw I think. If you want a certain starter as your captain, I wouldn't think Robshaw would be it.

Then again, if you believe Barnes he's Richie McCaw Mark II...

But pull me up with evidence, not off-handed dismissive comments. I can be persuaded with reasoning...

I did. I pointed out that two of the other candidates, Warburton and O'Connell, had previously been red-carded. I pointed out that Heaslip's disciplinary record is otherwise immaculate, not something you can say about many back-rowers. I could have gone on to say that the greatest rugby captain of recent years for any side, Martin Johnson, would also have been ruled out under your criteria.If we're going on the basis that a single incident can be used to rule someone out, then no-one with any level of experience would qualify. If I said Richie McCaw shouldn't be NZ captain because he gives away so many penalties, what would you say? You'd say yes, he gives away penaties but he gets away with a lot more infringements and he's a great all-round player so he's a great captain. You'd make your judgement based on the overall contribution of the player, not on one tiny aspect of it. I'm just saying you should do the same re Heaslip.Finally; I also said that I didn't think Heaslip would/should be Lions captain, just your reasoning was flawed.

I did. I pointed out that two of the other candidates, Warburton and O'Connell, had previously been red-carded. I pointed out that Heaslip's disciplinary record is otherwise immaculate, not something you can say about many back-rowers. I could have gone on to say that the greatest rugby captain of recent years for any side, Martin Johnson, would also have been ruled out under your criteria.If we're going on the basis that a single incident can be used to rule someone out, then no-one with any level of experience would qualify. If I said Richie McCaw shouldn't be NZ captain because he gives away so many penalties, what would you say? You'd say yes, he gives away penaties but he gets away with a lot more infringements and he's a great all-round player so he's a great captain. You'd make your judgement based on the overall contribution of the player, not on one tiny aspect of it. I'm just saying you should do the same re Heaslip.Finally; I also said that I didn't think Heaslip would/should be Lions captain, just your reasoning was flawed.

Fair enough. Although, I reckon John Eales gives Martin Johnson a good run for greatest captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The odds on Robshaw reflect the fact that he is versatile and can play across the backrow. Having him captain would mean a starting place isn't a 'closed shop' for any backrower in the squad. That's an important consideration IMO.

The odds on Robshaw reflect the fact that he is versatile and can play across the backrow. Having him captain would mean a starting place isn't a 'closed shop' for any backrower in the squad. That's an important consideration IMO.

There's also the argument that if there are few English players then an English captain would help bring the squad together.

There's also the argument that if there are few English players then an English captain would help bring the squad together.

I guess it depends how well Robshaw gets on with people outside the English team. If he's a toff from Eton or such, there could be issues, but he comes across as a decent enough fellow.

Hypothetically... if a leading rugby journalist in a respected Sunday paper picked a 35-man Lions squad and left out Heaslip, O'Connell, O'Brien and Bowe, how mental would the boards community go?

Best avoid Stephen Jones in today's ST then...

Hypothetically... if a leading rugby journalist in a respected Sunday paper picked a 35-man Lions squad and left out Heaslip, O'Connell, O'Brien and Bowe, how mental would the boards community go?

boards.co.uk would probably be reasonably quiet, I imagine.

Death, taxes, Stephen Jones having no good to say of NZ or Ireland - these are life's certainties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd say we'd probably ignore it in general, while putting down said journalist for being an idiot who knows nothing about the sport. (Out of interest, what number 8s did he pick?)

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd say we'd probably ignore it in general, while putting down said journalist for being an idiot who knows nothing about the sport. (Out of interest, what number 8s did he pick?)

Faletau and Denton. Hmmmm...

• Advertisement

It's Stephen Jones. He doesn't believe a word he writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

No doubt there were may Welsh as I'm sure there will be on the tour. However the problem is that the Welsh team is good together however as individuals or in small units(as seen in the Rabo) they are pretty average - above average 80-90% of the time.

If Leinster won the Heiniken and Ireland won a grand slam this year then I'd say the wider rugby community would go a bit nuts!

Anyone want to hazard a starting 15 for the tests on form this minute?

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Jones
    4. Gray
    5. Open to a few
    6. SOB
    7. Warburton
    8. Heaslip
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Roberts
    13. BOD:D
    14. Bowe/Halfpenny
    15. Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Healy
    Best
    Jones
    POC
    AWJ
    SOB/Lydiate
    Tipuric
    Heaslip
    Care/Youngs
    Sexton
    Ashton
    Davies
    BOD
    North
    Halfpenny/Kearney

That'd be me at the moment.
    Personally don't think Bowe should be near the team atm, Visser, Cuthbert, North, Ashton etc would all be ahead for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Healy
    Best
    Jones
    POC
    AWJ
    SOB/Lydiate
    Tipuric
    Heaslip
    Care/Youngs
    Sexton
    Ashton
    Davies
    BOD
    North
    Halfpenny/Kearney

That'd be me at the moment.
    Personally don't think Bowe should be near the team atm, Visser, Cuthbert, North, Ashton etc would all be ahead for me.

No Lawes? Playing out of his skin for Northampton. If he keeps this form up and plays like this for England he's the first 2nd row in the teamsheet imo

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

norths ahead of him hes a better player than visser just not as big and cuthberts getting better and better....ashton tho i wouldnt say is ahead of bowe

cgpg5 wrote: »
    No Lawes? Playing out of his skin for Northampton. If he keeps this form up and plays like this for England he's the first 2nd row in the teamsheet imo

Yeah thought about him alright, he's a serious physical specimen, but will he play for England?

leonard7 wrote: »
    norths ahead of him hes a better player than visser just not as big and cuthberts getting better and better....ashton tho i wouldnt say is ahead of bowe

Really? Ashton is in great form from what I've seen. May be a player we love to hate but he's some finisher, while I think Bowe gets away a bit with mixed performances in the Irish media. He scored tries in the last 6N, but his overall play wasn't great.

One thing the Lions are top heavy with though is typical 14s (big strong tall wingers) over 11s imo. Christian Wade might be a bolter in that sense.

Yeah thought about him alright, he's a serious physical specimen, but will he play for England?

Definitely. Was injured during 6n last year (awful times with injuries) and is injured for next week afaik but once he regains fitness and keeps up this form he'll definitely start with either parling or botha

Really? Ashton is in great form from what I've seen. May be a player we love to hate but he's some finisher, while I think Bowe gets away a bit with mixed performances in the Irish media. He scored tries in the last 6N, but his overall play wasn't great.

One thing the Lions are top heavy with though is typical 14s (big strong tall wingers) over 11s imo. Christian Wade might be a bolter in that sense.

Hope he starts in 6n. Have watched him a bit this season and he's really impressed me

• Advertisement

There's still Visser, Ashton and Earls who can play that role. I really like Wade but I'd be surprised if he travels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement