Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

cgpg5 wrote: »
    No Lawes? Playing out of his skin for Northampton. If he keeps this form up and plays like this for England he's the first 2nd row in the teamsheet imo

The object of rugby is to have 15 players on the field when possible!:rolleyes:

That's why Lawes and Ashton missed my pick. Put them in the midweek team to do their dirty work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

LeftBase wrote: »
    The object of rugby is to have 15 players on the field when possible!:rolleyes:

That's why Lawes and Ashton missed my pick. Put them in the midweek team to do their dirty work.

???

EDIT- Oh yes cos Lawes isn't the cleanest player? :P Couldn't care less he's too good to leave out imo

cgpg5 wrote: »
    ???

EDIT- Oh yes cos Lawes isn't the cleanest player? :P Couldn't care less he's too good to leave out imo

Well bear in mind that he is playing "out of his skin" in the AP......that isn't the best yard-stick for Test rugby...

I think that th 6N will tell us more. For me Lawes gives too little at test level to justify the risk of a yellow or red card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Well bear in mind that he is playing "out of his skin" in the AP......that isn't the best yard-stick for Test rugby...

I think that th 6N will tell us more. For me Lawes gives too little at test level to justify the risk of a yellow or red card.

To be fair he has barely played at all for England competitively due to injuries. He can hardly have much more than ten caps I'd imagine... Agree the 6 nations will be huge for him

I think he'll be a big player in the Autumn's. Only missing the first game I think if even that, I think he's 50-50 as it stands

To be fair there is no other real basis to measure current form other than club form. I mean most contenders for the Lions only played 2/3 international tests on average since the 6n and these were a fair few months ago aswell. We simply cannot judge "current form" on international form. The tests over the next few weeks will tell us a thing or two indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I actually read that Stephen Jones article...few interesting views. James Simpson-Daniel on the wing, do you think he'll make the England starting team? Alex Goode could be an option at full-back but only if he starts there for England and there's Foden/Brown too. And 3 Welsh locks ahead of POC? Wouldn't agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Goode's a nice footballer but he doesn't come close to any of Halfpenny, Kearney or Foden as an attacking threat.

Jones is a very good troll lads, wouldn't take him seriously. I think it was justindee that quotes Jones as saying "because you love it" when he was asked why he writes bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I actually read that Stephen Jones article...few interesting views. James Simpson-Daniel on the wing, do you think he'll make the England starting team? Alex Goode could be an option at full-back but only if he starts there for England and there's Foden/Brown too. And 3 Welsh locks ahead of POC? Wouldn't agree with that.

I remember JSD skinning Lomu a few years back. In fact Lomu's retired a good while now, so that should be many years back. Can't remember the last time he played for England, so I don't think he's remotely in the Lions picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

With Lancaster picking the England team, it seems not. With a lot of people I know, he'd stroll in there - although, with his luck, he'd fall over and break his neck on the way. He is still quite blatantly the best English winger with the possible exception of Chris Ashton.

A Lion though? I firmly believe that Gatland is a crazy-ass mofo and will make some big calls but this looks like one too too far. It's a shame he's at Glaws, as that means no HEC action to stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Something else that saddens me about the current Irish regime is that the Irish lads probably won't get the opportunity to play to their potential this season given our usually limited gameplan and therefore it goes without saying this will affect their Lions chances.

When you factor in injuries I think we'll have our lowest representation since 1997, and while I think we'll have more than the 4 players we had back then I think we could be looking at 6 maybe 7 players making the tour...unless things change/improve radically...

Right now with the fit players we have you'd be taking Healy, O'Connell and Heaslip up front and in the backs Sexton and maybe Bowe would make it. Even then Healy and POC may not even be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

it did what it was designed to do and p1ssed off the reader...denton ahead of heaslip, Goode at 15, simpson daniel etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

bamboozle wrote: »
    it did what it was designed to do and p1ssed off the reader...denton ahead of heaslip, Goode at 15, simpson daniel etc

... and 17 of the 35 selected were Welsh.

Half back options / pairings will be very interesting.

Scrum halfs
    England - Youngs, Care, Dickson - bolter prospect Joe Simpson
    Wales - Philips, Knoyle
    Ireland - none
    Scotland - none

Out Halfs
    England - Flood, Wilko - bolter prospect Farrell
    Wales - Priestland (just can't see Gatland casting him aside) - bolter Biggar
    Ireland - Sexton - bolter Madigan
    Scotland - Laidlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

James Simpson Daniel will be 33 by the time of the next World Cup so if Lancaster is sticking to his philosophy of looking forward he surely won't be involved with England. He's in superb form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Madigan can only be a bolter if Sexton gets a relatively long injury in the later stage of the season, he won't start enough of the big games otherwise.

Jackson has bolter potential, especially if he manages to usurp ROG (either through form or injury) and get some international gametime. If he was to lead Ulster to victory in the H Cup or Rabo (or both) for example, he would be hard to ignore.

I think Sexton and Flood are fairly certain to go. I don't rate Flood that much but he's one of the best of a bad bunch and I don't think there'll be two bolsters in the squad. If not Flood then I think Wilkinson will go.

Laidlaw would be useful down there as well. The fact he covers 9 and 10 makes him a very useful bench option. Then again I think Paddy Jackson could be in contention based on H Cup alone because I think Gatland will get a kick out of picking a few young guys from outside of the international scene (ego). Maybe even George Ford.

It's very hard to predict the half backs this far out. Maybe by the end of March things will be a lot clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Scrum halfs
    Wales - Philips, Knoyle
    Ireland - none
    Scotland - none

Out Halfs
    Scotland - Laidlaw

I think Care, Youngs and Phillips have the SH spots locked down TBH.

Out-half is very hard to call; I just don't rate Flood at all and if Priestland can't rediscover some sort of form then he's out too. James Hook could yet come back into the equation, although he'll suffer by Perpignan not being in the HEC. Jackson has a huge amount of ground to make up but he'll stand a better chance than Madigan.

Scrum halfs
    Wales - Philips, Knoyle
    Ireland - none
    Scotland - none

Out Halfs
    Scotland - Laidlaw

At the minute I'd like to see Care and Sexton paired together in the test team...assuming Care has got over his pre-pubescent behaviour I think he is a very fine player.

Like a few others have said I think at this stage Jackson is a more realistic bolter than Madigan but then I'd be pretty shocked, thrilled for them, but still shocked, if either travelled.

I think Sexton and Flood are fairly certain to go. I don't rate Flood that much but he's one of the best of a bad bunch and I don't think there'll be two bolsters in the squad. If not Flood then I think Wilkinson will go.

Laidlaw would be useful down there as well. The fact he covers 9 and 10 makes him a very useful bench option. Then again I think Paddy Jackson could be in contention based on H Cup alone because I think Gatland will get a kick out of picking a few young guys from outside of the international scene (ego). Maybe even George Ford.

It's very hard to predict the half backs this far out. Maybe by the end of March things will be a lot clearer

George Ford is an interesting one. He faces the same problem that Madigan does in that he's behind the current national incumbent at his club. I just can't see him getting the games in Europe or top end Premiership games to get a chance to showcase his undoubted talents.

Scrum halfs
    Wales - Philips, Knoyle
    Ireland - none
    Scotland - none

Out Halfs
    Scotland - Laidlaw

Murray to have a superb season and overtake all those other extremely average scrum-halves. I hope so anyway, Care is the only of those I really rate.

Youngs is talented enough but when was the last time he was in form? He's had some terrible games...and Dickson is just not that good. I'd take Murray or Reddan ahead of him.

As for Phillips, he's just overrated...I do like Knoyle but I suppose it'll be hard for him to get ahead of Phillips.

Bolter- Tomás O'Leary :D

As for out-half, I'd definitely bring Laidlaw. And obviously Sexton. Hope Gatland gets over his Priestland thing, I think Biggar and Hook are both better options. I suppose Flood might go. And Jackson is more likely a bolter than Madigan, actually if he keeps up his form and Ulster do well in the HC, you never know... I think I'd prefer George Ford or Freddie Burns to Farrell at out-half, who is solid enough but hardly the most exciting.

I think Youngs was man of the match against Ospreys. Maybe he wasnt MOTM but he did play well. He just needs a bit of form and confidence. He should be so good, but he was just awful last season.

It'll be very interesting if Schmidt is involved and they pick Murray over Reddan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think Youngs was man of the match against Ospreys. Maybe he wasnt MOTM but he did play well. He just needs a bit of form and confidence. He should be so good, but he was just awful last season.

It'll be very interesting if Schmidt is involved and they pick Murray over Reddan...

He was MoTM. Although I thought it should've been Flood... and I don't even like Flood.

Schmidt defo won't be involved.... would he?

I think at the moment Sexton is dead cert for the 10 jersey. However that may change as the season goes on. I wouldnt put Care near the team really. Lions tests are highly charged and the last thing we need is him losing his head. That can be said for a lot of the English players. There are some real cynical players in their lineup with very little discipline. The exodus to France(the University of Cynical Thuggery) is not helping that either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I guess Schmidt would be asked by Lions mgt team.

It is possible that Leinster will be involved in the RABO semi/final moreso than HEC Semi/Final so that RABO final is on the 25th May. The first Lions game is 1 June and they usually fly out a few days early. Possible but wouldn't be sure. I would like to see it for his own personal development as he is hot property and this would be another step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I think at the moment Sexton is dead cert for the 10 jersey. However that may change as the season goes on. I wouldnt put Care near the team really. Lions tests are highly charged and the last thing we need is him losing his head. That can be said for a lot of the English players. There are some real cynical players in their lineup with very little discipline. The exodus to France(the University of Cynical Thuggery) is not helping that either!

Sexton needs to play 10 for Ireland for SA/Argentina and all 6N for 80 minutes or until the game is wrapped up with 10 minutes to go. If he starts getting moved to 12 after 50-60 minutes, his Lions chances will reduce imo. I hope it goes well for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton could play at tight head prop for the next year, he'd still be far and away the best 10 available to the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sexton could play at tight head prop for the next year, he'd still be far and away the best 10 available to the Lions.

Sexton playing TH prop could cause significant neck damage that would rule him out of the lions:D

Sexton playing TH prop could cause significant neck damage that would rule him out of the lions:D

Not to mention the loss of confidence he would receive from being beaten up in scrums. For god's sake Podge. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Murray to have a superb season and overtake all those other extremely average scrum-halves. I hope so anyway, Care is the only of those I really rate.
    It would be nice if Murray could step things up, but at the moment I'd imagine he's behind the others.
    Hope Gatland gets over his Priestland thing...
    Not til after the first match of the 6 Nations hopefully!

Sexton is well ahead as 10 as of now.

And Care can be a liability, I don't like him much but he's comfortably the best scrum-half available atm. Don't think we could afford to leave him out.

• Advertisement

Sexton is well ahead as 10 as of now.

And Care can be a liability, I don't like him much but he's comfortably the best scrum-half available atm. Don't think we could afford to leave him out.

I'm pretty sure the referee could help there......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement