Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

You know I'm really not sure about Keith Wood as a pundit, and his constant banging of the Drico to 12 drum is making me even more skeptical.
    Does he honestly think he could play 12 in a Lions team like?!

He's also got Ferris at 8 there for some unknown reason?

I also think Bowe is going to be seriously under pressure come the end of the year from both Cuthbert and Visser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You know I'm really not sure about Keith Wood as a pundit, and his constant banging of the Drico to 12 drum is making me even more skeptical.

Wood's team selections are feckin' crazy half the time. He was on about POM for captain of Ireland a while back.

On Bowe - his class will probably get him on the plane but he's definitely not a test starter on current form imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd love to see Drico at 12, for any team, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

danthefan wrote: »
    It's basically the exact same as the way we all think Healy is better than Jenkins. Jenkins is the player they know in the team they support (ahead of Ireland at least).

But as Thomond said Jenkins is having trouble starting for Toulon, nevermind the Lions. Healy has definitely improved his scrummaging, but you would have to think it's just that people from other countries still don't realise this. If they did, I can't see how they would prefer Jenkins.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I'd love to see Drico at 12, for any team, tbh.

Well we saw it in NZ and it was a complete disaster, why does he think it'd work with the Lions with basically a 12 outside (Davies) and Drico at 12?!

Personally I've always thought it crazy to put one of our best ever OCs at 12, particularly at this stage and with little evidence he could play there.

In real terms, there's absolutely no chance he'd play for the Lions there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I sometimes think pundits have their own secret hidden forum in which they compete to come up with the most outrageous team selections and laugh at the responses they get from the public.

Well we saw it in NZ and it was a complete disaster, why does he think it'd work with the Lions with basically a 12 outside (Davies) and Drico at 12?!

Hardly a great yardstick for any player.
    Personally I've always thought it crazy to put one of our best ever OCs at 12, particularly at this stage and with little evidence he could play there.

The evidence is he possess all the skillsets an IC requires; breaks the line, offload, huge in defense and can be a bit of a play maker.

Plus, his pace isn't getting any better, most backs will tell you when they retire they want to be inside centres, because you don't need speed to play there.
    In real terms, there's absolutely no chance he'd play for the Lions there either.

Well yes, that's a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

think we have the beating of Oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd be fearful for O'Driscoll defensively at 12, its much more attritional than at 13 and he does have a propensity to pick up knocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Swiwi wrote: »
    Heaslip previously got red-carded for stamping in NZ. The one thing a Lions Captain can't do is get himself sent-off: it sends a bad message to the team + inevitably costs his side the match.
    the sending off criteria rules out O'Connell and Warburton by the way. That's a silly comment, particularly for someone like Heaslip who has an otherwise impeccable record.

Until his yellow card tonight...

...which I accept was not for foul play, but SA did score 10 crucial points in his absence. Actually, I thought Heaslip had a solid game overall, and made a reasonably good fist of his first game in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I know you were at the game so I have the privilege of seeing the incident in more detail. It certainly wasn't what you'd call a needless penalty to give away, or stupid by any means. Barnes must have called "advantage, new penalty" about 4 times, Heaslip just happened to be the last person he adjudged to infringe.
    I don't think Heaslip should be captain for the Lions, but not because of his discipline.

If I had to pick a captain at this point and time, it would still be O'Driscoll. As long as he's fit. The determination he'll have to win will be immense. Couple that with his experience and I think he's the perfect candidate for captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

You could clearly hear the ref say that he could have binned any number of players and Heaslip was just the last guy to infringe so he got singled out.

You don't like Heaslip, we get it, but I don't think pulling down a rolling maul that's trundling inexorably towards the try line is a serious disciplinary issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

leonard7 wrote: »
    think we have the beating of Oz

'we' are not France sadly. Gatland will probably start Priestland at 10! :(

You could clearly hear the ref say that he could have binned any number of players and Heaslip was just the last guy to infringe so he got singled out.

You don't like Heaslip, we get it, but I don't think pulling down a rolling maul that's trundling inexorably towards the try line is a serious disciplinary issue.

See my modified comments above. I don't dislike Heaslip, I will watch the remainder of the AIs and the 6N carefully, paying particular attention to Heaslip & Earls, who I have previously not been fully convinced about. But nothing against the guy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

SomeFool wrote: »

chirst i hope not... i mean sexton and flood are miles a head of him.. hell id even take keatley over preistland

So, anyone else think the Irish set up could ruin the chances of potential Irish Lions tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So, anyone else think the Irish set up could ruin the chances of potential Irish Lions tourists?

I really doubt it. The coaches are smart guys and they'll take it all into account.

The squad is announced around the time of the Heineken Cup semi final as well, so they'll have provincial form to come into the equation as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I doubt it too. I mean, we still have guys performing very well in green. Plus, I can see some tough times ahead for Wales given how out of form a lot of their big players are

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fishooks12 wrote: »

I doubt it too. I mean, we still have guys performing very well in green. Plus, I can see some tough times ahead for Wales given how out of form a lot of their big players are

Expect more than their fair share with Gatty in charge. Not that any other National Coach wouldn't do the same, he's more familiar with them than the players from other nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SomeFool wrote: »

Priestland won't be the Wales 10 by the end of the Six Nations.

Expect more than their fair share with Gatty in charge. Not that any other National Coach wouldn't do the same, he's more familiar with them than the players from other nations.

Lads you're looking at this with Irish eyes. There's much less Gombeen politics in NZ than here, I don't expect Gatland will feel he owes favours to Welsh players, or that he's obliged to pick this or that player. Will be an interesting squad selection alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Surprising to see next years Lions 15 losing to Argentina...:D

The George Gregan Wallaby XV to face the Lions:

15. Kurtley Beale, 14. James O'Connor, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Pat McCabe, 11. Digby Ioane, 10. Quade Cooper, 9. Will Genia, 8. Wycliff Palu, 7. David Pocock, 6. Scott Higginbotham, 5. Kane Douglas, 4. James Horwill, 3. Sekope Kepu, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Robinson

I think Gregan is pretty bang on, EXCEPT there is no way I would have Cooper at 10. I don't know who yet, but the Brumbies 10 Christian Lealiifano looked quite handy until his injury this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gregan has Beale at 15 and James O Connor on the wing. Whoever typed out typed out his team on Rugbydump has gotten them mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Priestland won't be the Wales 10 by the end start of the Six Nations.

FYP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So how are the Lions looking now?

It's been (another) disastrous Autumn campaign for the Home Nations with a week to go.

Two weeks ago, nay a week ago, I'd have said the Lions were a shoe in to win in Australia, now I'm not so sure.

Wales are a mess without Gatland (which in a roundabout way is a positive for the Lions), England are overhyped, Scotland are brave and yet ultimately not good enough and we're dreadful at the minute (albeit you get the feeling our players are playing well within themselves for one reason or another).

Just to put things into perspective, the FIFTH best SH side just beat the current Grand Slam Champions (ie the best NH side) fairly comfortably in the NH side's own backyard!

I think the squad for the 2013 Lions just got a lot less clear...

bilston wrote: »
    So how are the Lions looking now?

It's been (another) disastrous Autumn campaign for the Home Nations with a week to go.

Two weeks ago, nay a week ago, I'd have said the Lions were a shoe in to win in Australia, now I'm not so sure.

Wales are a mess without Gatland (which in a roundabout way is a positive for the Lions), England are overhyped, Scotland are brave and yet ultimately not good enough and we're dreadful at the minute (albeit you get the feeling our players are playing well within themselves for one reason or another).

Just to put things into perspective, the FIFTH best SH side just beat the current Grand Slam Champions (ie the best NH side) fairly comfortably in the NH side's own backyard!

I think the squad for the 2013 Lions just got a lot less clear...

OK, my 2c here. The best thing about the recent matches is that it is clear that the Lions can't be Wales in disguise (if more evidence was needed after the 0-3 in Aussie for wales), for a start the welsh forward pack is seriously underpowered. So hopefully this means a Lions team that represents the best of what the 4N have to offer. Australia will be tough to beat in Australia, and no-one should expect a 3-0 cakewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A few English guys didn't enhance their chances, Marler was poor in the scrums and quiet in the loose. Cole didn't really shine either, he's still probably going to tour though. I can't see many of their forwards making the lions test side, Robshaw still is learning on the job what it takes to be a captain and is still a fair distance from being an international level 7, Hooper and Gill showed him up badly. Waldrom hasn't brought much over Morgan though the return of Woods is promising. Youngs was so-so but Care looked decent, he seems to be the form 9. Flood was middling but offers more than Farrell.

For the Welsh there was precious little standout performers. Roberts showed good defence except when Kahn went through him for a short cut. Possibly I'm glossing over some of his mistakes as I hope we get to see him and BOD in the centres on tour. The Welsh backrow seemed subdued, Faletau was quiet, Tipuric didn't get a chance to show much of himself at the breakdown and Jones was intent on giving away penalties. The front 5 were poor, no standouts there. Even Gethin Jenkins looked out of sorts when he came on. Biggar was unfortunate to go off, he didn't really get a chance to shine but he showed much more than Priestland who was cack. Philips dawdled as usual and looked awful compared to Fotuali'i. Cuthbert and North were quiet. Halfpenny and possibly Beck were the plus points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I actually can't believe the amount of media pundits calling for Marler and not even mentioning Healy. Healy is a far superior player. Can't even remember the last bad game he had for club or country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement