Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Marler isn't a patch on Healy.

Healy is possible the best LH in the world atm. He's got it all in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The home nations are going through a real lull at the moment. England are young and inexperienced with some good solid players, but not much more. Wales have some decent players but are inconsistent, we have decent players but are totally hopeless as a team at the moment, and Scotland are Scotland.

We were never at the level of the Southern Hemisphere teams, but I think the standards have really dropped recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Marler is good in the open and catches the eye because of it, himself and Vunipola are only keeping the English jersey warm for Corbisiero who is a much better scrummager as we and Tom Court all know. If they're in decent form and injury free Healy, Jenkins and Corbisiero will be shoe ins for Lions' loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What would people's XV after seeing the action this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

.ak wrote: »

15. Leigh Halfpenny
    14. Chris Ashton
    13. Jonathan Davies
    12. Ashley Beck
    11. George North
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Danny Care
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    7. Justin Tipuric
    6. Stephen Ferris (if fit)
    5. Paul O'Connell (if fit)
    4. Richie Gray
    3. Adam Jones
    2. Rory Best
    1. Cian Healy

Hartley, Marler, Cole, Jones, O'Brien, Laidlaw, O'Driscoll, Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »

I didn't see the Scotland or England games yesterday as I was playing myself but it seems to me that the biggest winners this weekend were the Irish lads...and that's because the vast majority of those in contention didn't actually play!

In fact so far this Autumn the biggest winners (with a few exceptions) across the home nations have been the injured players!

Did I read right that Gatland is taking charge of Wales again this week for the NZ game? If that is true (and I might be making that up) it will be interesting to see if there is much difference in Wales from the last two weeks. Of course they always raise their game for the ABs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Healy, Best, Jones, POC, Lawes, SOB, Tipuric, Heaslip, Care, Sexton, Visser, Roberts, Tuilagi/BOD, North, Halfpenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

bilston wrote: »
    Did I read right that Gatland is taking charge of Wales again this week for the NZ game? I

He's back for the NZ and Aus game AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Can't take Hastings seriously with that team. As someone said, some really daft calls. Cian Healy seems to be criminally underrated outside of Ireland

Or is he just over rated in Ireland?

Probably somewhere in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Fireball07 wrote: »
    15. Leigh Halfpenny
    14. Chris Ashton
    13. Jonathan Davies
    12. Ashley Beck
    11. George North
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    9. Danny Care
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    7. Justin Tipuric
    6. Stephen Ferris (if fit)
    5. Paul O'Connell (if fit)
    4. Richie Gray
    3. Adam Jones
    2. Rory Best
    1. Cian Healy

Hartley, Marler, Cole, Jones, O'Brien, Laidlaw, O'Driscoll, Kearney

Didn't see the match so can't really comment but from reports I read he was anonymous and completely outshone by his opposite number Cummins.

Wing is proving a problematic enough position for Engalnd. Monye needs to be drafted back in

Also I just caught a tiny glimpse on BBC3 of highlights but it was around the 60th minute mark where England were only 6 down and they were given a very kickable penalty. Flood clearly wanted to go for the posts and Care seemed to agree (he was in posession of the ball) but Robshaw was going insane pointing to the line. Flood and Care both looked less than impressed. Few question marks over his leadership perhaps, although they should have scored a try from the resulting lineout

• Advertisement

I've said it before but I think his scrummaging is still perceived by many outside Ireland as a big weakness, and I really don't think it is anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I thought Danny Care was excellent at the weekend, really sharp, looks to have nailed the England jersey so that's a big step.

On the coaching front, Rob Howley hasn't done himself any favours in the last couple of weeks, has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Didn't see the match so can't really comment but from reports I read he was anonymous and completely outshone by his opposite number Cummins.

Wing is proving a problematic enough position for Engalnd. Monye needs to be drafted back in

I actually forgot about Visser, on current form, I'd actually have him and North.

Cuthbert, Ashton, Bowe are all good players imo, I wouldn't be unhappy to see any of them. Foden also could end up on the wing, as could Halfpenny...or Hogg, Earls... I wouldn't even rule out Zebo as a possible bolter if he keeps up his good form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On the coaching front, Rob Howley hasn't done himself any favours in the last couple of weeks, has he?

I dunno, alot of his players are playing pants at the moment and all their teams bar The Ospreys are already out of Europe. I can't see any of Lanelli, Cardiff, or Dragons even qualifying for the Amlin QF (they have three points between them in Europe!).

I thought Danny Care was excellent at the weekend, really sharp, looks to have nailed the England jersey so that's a big step.

Big fan of care, very lively around the pitch

Youngs was apparently up to his old tricks when he came on taking silly quick taps when it would have been better kick for the corner and set up a lineout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

If I player consistently makes the team list in overseas papers, he must be good, given that all countries naturally favour their own players.

Rather than saying is Healy in the Irish Times & Irish Indo teams, is he in the Aus, Eng etc teams?

I do think he seems to be strangely under-rated, especially after his good tour downunder, but nevertheless I haven't seen his name in too many Lions XV so far, outside of boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Think there's always a bit of a love in between the English and Welsh when it comes to these selections.

shuffol wrote: »
    Think there's always a bit of a love in between the English and Welsh when it comes to these selections.

But it's not even that, looking at the BBC pundits selections recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20266978

There's plenty of love for BOD, Heaslip, Sexton, Ferris, Best, SOB etc. but none of them went for Healy, and I find it amazing. Of course I'm biased but I think he has an even better case than most of the Irish players I mentioned above, so I don't think I'm seeing everything through green tinted glasses. Not only is there little competition for LH from the home nations, I genuinely think Healy is one of Ireland's best players right now, if not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There is very strong competition. And that competition's name is Gethin Jenkins.

Question is, can Jenkins perform up to the fullest of his abilities on the tour? I'm not sure. I'd have Jenkins and Healy neck and neck, wouldn't have anyone else anywhere near them.

There is very strong competition. And that competition's name is Gethin Jenkins.

Question is, can Jenkins perform up to the fullest of his abilities on the tour? I'm not sure. I'd have Jenkins and Healy neck and neck, wouldn't have anyone else anywhere near them.

Isn't he 2nd choice at Toulon behind Sheridan at the moment? Gatland will also have to fight to have him released if Toulon reach the Top 14 final, which might not be ideal preparation.

He didn't look totally convincing for Wales recently either, although to be fair none of the Welsh did, and he was without Adam Jones in the scrum.

The 6 Nations will tell us more I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tox56 wrote: »
    But it's not even that, looking at the BBC pundits selections recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20266978

There's plenty of love for BOD, Heaslip, Sexton, Ferris, Best, SOB etc. but none of them went for Healy, and I find it amazing. Of course I'm biased but I think he has an even better case than most of the Irish players I mentioned above, so I don't think I'm seeing everything through green tinted glasses. Not only is there little competition for LH from the home nations, I genuinely think Healy is one of Ireland's best players right now, if not the best.

The truth is the media can say what they like, it's the opinion of Warren Gatland that counts. If Gatty has any sense he'll ask his fellow Kiwi Joe Schmidt to take a senior role in the management team and if that comes to pass then I'd say Healy will be right up there in the thoughts of those picking the players for the tour.

By the way on the back of the last two weeks failings of the home nations I'm now very much of the opinion that if he's fit BOD will skipper the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

On the captaincy there isn't really any candidate at the moment. None of the likelies are playing apart from warburton and he'd not exactly electrifying these days.

It's all on the six nations IMO.

durkadurka wrote: »
    On the captaincy there isn't really any candidate at the moment. None of the likelies are playing apart from warburton and he'd not exactly electrifying these days.

It's all on the six nations IMO.

And well it should be. Although class is permanent, current form has got to count for something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

hi lads im moving to melborne so will be looking for tickets for the rebels and second test match games are they sold out already or not even on sale yet how hard are they to get if they are sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jenkins has started 2 games for Toulon this season and reports suggest he wants out. If he's still undercooked come February he'll risk losing his Wales place and therefore his Lions spot.

If Corbisiero impresses in the next two tests he could be starter for the 6n. I don't think Marler should be near starting anyway but if him and Jenkins were to not be first choice for the 6n, Healy is surely a shoe in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

pretty sure healy was on both rugby planets and espn scrums xv of the last world cup.

Think it's more to do wit him not being on a winning side most of the time than anything else.

very interestingly on planet rugby they seem to be giving A LOT of irish the go ahead

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_8261029,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Bowe ahead of North? Bowe hasn't been at his best for a fair while and North is on an upward curve. I'd be bringing North if I were the selector tbh.

danthefan wrote: »
    Bowe ahead of North? Bowe hasn't been at his best for a fair while and North is on an upward curve. I'd be bringing North if I were the selector tbh.

Bowe was top try scorer in the last 6 Nations and didn't play in New Zealand, so you're being a little harsh there (about him not being at his best that is).

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »

Bowe with better service from his centres would do alright. Welsh backs dreadful last 2 games (Halfpenny aside). I guess both Bowe & North need to press their claims in the 6N.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement