Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

.ak wrote: »
    Do you think Hogg could only cover at fullback?

Adding inside centre to Earls' rep sheet is a joke - it was an absolute failure, one I hope we or the Lion do no repeat.

As I said, at the moment I'd reckon Earls chances are 50/50.

Hogg has played at centre about 4 times in his career todate. (Against Munster, Leinster & Bath). Glasgow lost all the games.

As for Earls' failure on the Lions - he was a kid and he was nervous. He picked himself up and dusted himself down.

I'd disagree with you. There are going to be a lot of new faces on this tour and the fact that he has been on a tour before will push him top of the Q.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Didn't Hogg tear Munster apart at 13 last season?

He did (but Glasgow still managed to lose). Johne Murphy was partnering Mafi in the centre. Stephen Archer was the TH!

bamboozle wrote: »
    oK, so your point is Earl's strike rate from wing is better than Fitz's and fitz got selected for the lions - do you realise that Earls and Fitz were on the same lions tour and the lions selectors saw fit to select Fitz on the test team?

That wasn't my point. My point was that the selectors don't just look at the strike rate of a winger when selecting for the Lions.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You mocked him by stating that using that logic on past results against specific sides TOL would be classed as our best SH. The poster wasn't even trying to say that Murray shouldnt start, just that it was "an interesting fact". You on the other hand are clearly using Earl's record against Oz as a key reason for why he should travel. It's expected from your posts though.

I was trying to point out that claiming that Reddan was more successful against Top 8 countries when a) he has played more games than Murray and b) when 3 of Murrays couple of Top 8 starts are against the No. 1 team in the world, a team we have never beaten.

Bringing up the fact that Earls has a good record against Australia is relevant considering that is the country the Lions will be touring. Most if not all of the Welsh players (as well as Visser & Tualagi) who could be touring have not accomplished that to date, so it would help to have a few players in the team who have, particularly if they have done it in the SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

The outside backs are a bit of a mess at the moment with all of the Lions' nations dealing with injuries and changes in personnel. At the moment I'd say from an Irish perspective only Kearney and Bowe are definites to travel. BOD will go if he shows some form in the 6N.

Earls is jack of all trades, master of none at this stage. He has struggled to make an impact at 13 (albeit in part because of D'arcy's struggles inside him) and if BOD and Kearney come back for the 6N, he may not even start for Ireland, given the competition for places on the wing.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me to see an Irish bolter come from one of Zebo, Gilroy or Marshall. They will be hindered by the fact that Ireland seem to lack any creative spark under Kidney's coaching and the fact that they may not be picked due to overly conservative selection but Marshall definitely will be in with a shout if he is given an opportunity in the 6N.

In the pack, Healy and Heaslip are nailed on for the tour and most likely the starting 15 at this stage. All our other Lions candidates are injured at the moment but if they come back fit and in form, Best, POC, Ferris and SOB should all travel.

My 23, all injuries assumed cured would be:

1. Corbisiero
    2. Best
    3. Cole

4. Gray
    5. POC

6. Ferris
    7. Warburton
    8. Heaslip

9. Phillips
    10. Sexton

11. Visser
    12. Roberts
    13. Davies
    14. North
    15. Kearney

16. Hartley
    17. Healy
    18. A. Jones
    19. Lawes
    20. SOB
    21. Youngs
    22. Flood
    23. Bowe

That side is picked with a specific game plan in mind, i.e. absolutely batter them physically for 50 mins (hence the picks of Corbs, Best, POC, both the Welsh centres) and then unleash pace off the bench for the last 30 (Healy, Lawes, SOB, Youngs, Bowe).

I'd really like a better ball player in the centre to play at 12 alongside one of Davies/Roberts, which is why I have such high hopes for Marshall.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Also to the poster who said Zebo should travel over Visser :

Take your medicine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

jm08 wrote: »
    He did (but Glasgow still managed to lose). Johne Murphy was partnering Mafi in the centre. Stephen Archer was the TH!

you are aware that a team can lose but certain players in that team can still play well???

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

you are aware that a team can lose but certain players in that team can still play well???

Of course he is, he said Murray was the best player on the pitch after Ireland lost to South Africa.

I am. But there is a psychological advantage to having a team that have accomplished a win over Australia. Most of those Welsh players must have serious doubts about their ability to get a win against Australia considering that they have played about 8 times in the last 2 years both home and away and haven't managed it. They always seem to fall short.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it this time in Wales. If they don't very few of them should travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I am. But there is a psychological advantage to having a team that have accomplished a win over Australia. Most of those Welsh players must have serious doubts about their ability to get a win against Australia considering that they have played about 8 times in the last 2 years both home and away and haven't managed it. They always seem to fall short.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it this time in Wales. If they don't very few of them should travel.

Just like Murray against top 8 sides... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Just like Murray against top 8 sides... :rolleyes:

Not sure what Australia Wales has to do with Conor Murray.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

yeah, that's why ireland provided 3 of the '97 lions pack at a time we couldnt cobble together a win if our lives depended on it...and it would have been 4 had Miller not fallen sick the day before the 1st test.

psychological me [EMAIL="ar@e"]ar@e[/EMAIL], i dont think there is such a thing as a welsh rugby player who doubts his ability.

All Gatland is interested in doing is selecting the best players from the 4 nations and turning them into a squad capable of winning the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Not sure what Australia Wales has to do with Conor Murray.......

I mentioned it earlier in the thread the hypocrisy JM08 shows arguing that Welsh players shouldnt travel to face Australia due to a potential psychological block while at the same time he took offence to the mere mention that Ireland has never managed to win against a top 8 side when Murray has started. Does he suffer from the same mental block?

Its a team sport, how their previous teams have performed against a side shouldnt come into the pros/cons of the players being selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I mentioned it earlier in the thread the hypocrisy JM08 shows arguing that Welsh players shouldnt travel to face Australia due to a potential psychological block while at the same time he took offence to the mere mention that Ireland has never managed to win against a top 8 side when Murray has started. Does he suffer from the same mental block? Its a team sport, how their previous teams have performed against a side shouldnt come into it.

fair enough, it's hard enough trying to keep up with jmo8's arguments !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzlsC-mU50&feature=youtu.

Gatland talking a bit about selection. Doesnt say a whole lot really but does mention choices at FB. Says Halfpenny has been playing exceptionally well but interesting he mentioned Kearney first. I wonder if Gatland rates him over Halfpenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Scioch wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzlsC-mU50&feature=youtu.

Gatland talking a bit about selection. Doesnt say a whole lot really but does mention choices at FB. Says Halfpenny has been playing exceptionally well but interesting he mentioned Kearney first. I wonder if Gatland rates him over Halfpenny.

He basically just said "Goode? Bitch please".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

danthefan wrote: »
    He basically just said "Goode? Bitch please".

yeh he fairly ****ted all over goode there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

yeah, that's why ireland provided 3 of the '97 lions pack at a time we couldnt cobble together a win if our lives depended on it...and it would have been 4 had Miller not fallen sick the day before the 1st test.

psychological me ar@e, i dont think there is such a thing as a welsh rugby player who doubts his ability.

All Gatland is interested in doing is selecting the best players from the 4 nations and turning them into a squad capable of winning the series.

Rhys Priestland looks like he'd rather be at home under the duvet, eating quality street and crying to Sex in the City reruns than be the centre of attention for Wales. The guy has a serious lack of self belief.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Rhys Priestland looks like he'd rather be at home under the duvet, eating quality street and crying to Sex in the City reruns than be the centre of attention for Wales. The guy has a serious lack of self belief.

Also a serious lack of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

They were just discussing the Lions on 'Against the Head', Malcolm Kelly, Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan just picked their starting 15:

1. C.Healy
    2. M.Rees
    3. A.Jones
    4. R.Gray
    5. P.O'Connell
    6. S.Ferris
    7. S.Warburton
    8. S.O'Brien
    9. M.Philips
    10. J.Sexton
    11. C.Gilroy
    12. B.O'Driscoll
    13. M.Tuilagi
    14. C.Ashton
    15. R.Kearney

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

mystic86 wrote: »
    They were just discussing the Lions on 'Against the Head', Malcolm Kelly, Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan just picked their starting 15:

1. C.Healy
    2. M.Rees
    3. A.Jones
    4. R.Gray
    5. P.O'Connell
    6. S.Ferris
    7. S.Warburton
    8. S.O'Brien
    9. M.Philips
    10. J.Sexton
    11. C.Gilroy
    12. B.O'Driscoll
    13. M.Tuilagi
    14. C.Ashton
    15. R.Kearney

Thoughts?
    Genuinely can't take any team seriously that has POC in it. He' might not even play again let alone play himself into contention for the lions. I don't even think he would have started fit anyway, say what you line about lawes being a thug (I disagree) he has been in better form than POC pre injury, arguably there are a few locks who have been. Also Strauss has to start as much as it pains me to say that because best has done nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

[QUOTE=mystic86;81947452]They were just discussing the Lions on 'Against the Head', Malcolm Kelly, Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan just picked their starting 15:

1. C.Healy yes
    2. M.Rees debatebale
    3. A.Jones yes
    4. R.Gray needs to step it up
    5. P.O'Connell i wish he would be i'm doubtful
    6. S.Ferris if healthy yes
    7. S.Warburton not on current form
    8. S.O'Brien can't see that happening
    9. M.Philips not on current form
    10. J.Sexton yes
    11. C.Gilroy needs to maintain form but I could see it
    12. B.O'Driscoll wrong position
    13. M.Tuilagi no
    14. C.Ashton not on current form
    15. R.Kearney if he returns to form

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thoughts?

Good for a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

BTW, the new jersey is out this Saturday, very similar to 2009 one, collar is different (it has a collar for starters) and there are very light horizontal stripes this year, instead of the patterns in the jersey on the sides and lower back in the 2009 one:

http://store.lionsrugby.com/adidas/british-irish-lions-home-retail-jersey-adults-pre-order.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

1. C.Healy
    2. M.Rees
    3. A.Jones
    4. R.Gray
    5. P.O'Connell
    6. S.Ferris
    7. S.Warburton
    8. S.O'Brien
    9. M.Philips
    10. J.Sexton
    11. C.Gilroy
    12. B.O'Driscoll
    13. M.Tuilagi
    14. C.Ashton
    15. R.Kearney

Thoughts?

I'd personally disagree with a lot of selections there. Rees over Best? I think Heaslip has to be the man for 8 too. No Warburton or O'Connell for me either.

Bar Sexton, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual backline was entirely different. Think Davies will definitely make it and I'd have Care over Phillips all day long. There are better options than Ashton and it is way too early to be considering Gilroy imo

Halfpenny and Kearney really is a tough call after watching those November tests

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Halfpenny and Kearney really is a tough call after watching those November tests

I hope both are involved someway. Halfpenny is a class act, in my opinion he's the best back in the Wales backline, really has the X factor. Cuthbert is a close second, but North is just a one trick pony.

1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Jones 4.Gray 5.Lawes 6.SOB 7.Warburton 8.Heaslip(no one else, lucky boy) 9. Phillips 10.Sexton 11.Gilroy 12.Roberts 13.Tuilagi 14.Ashton 15.Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Jones 4.Gray 5.Lawes 6.SOB 7.Warburton 8.Heaslip(no one else, lucky boy) 9. Phillips 10.Sexton 11.Gilroy 12.Roberts 13.Tuilagi 14.Ashton 15.Kearney

There are loads of wingers better than Ashton. Even Halfpenny can be moved to wing if necessary. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Phillips didn't travel. The two England guys are the two front-runners at the moment, you'd imagine. Tipuric and Armitage should be ahead of Warburton as things stand

Also, Best > Strauss, Ferris >SOB. Lydiate also > SOB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

goreyguy wrote: »
    [QUOTE=mystic86;81947452]They were just discussing the Lions on 'Against the Head', Malcolm Kelly, Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan just picked their starting 15:

1. C.Healy yes
    2. M.Rees debatebale
    3. A.Jones yes
    4. R.Gray needs to step it up
    5. P.O'Connell i wish he would be i'm doubtful
    6. S.Ferris if healthy yes
    7. S.Warburton not on current form
    8. S.O'Brien can't see that happening
    9. M.Philips not on current form
    10. J.Sexton yes
    11. C.Gilroy needs to maintain form but I could see it
    12. B.O'Driscoll wrong position
    13. M.Tuilagi no
    14. C.Ashton not on current form
    15. R.Kearney if he returns to form

Thoughts?

These thoughts are fairly close in line with my own.

I'd definitely have Best ahead of Rees as of now.

I'd have POC if he's fit and in-form, mightn't be likely.

Warburton doesn't deserve to travel, let alone start atm. Tipuric, Armitage, SOB are all better options and if he doesn't regain form, he could fall behind the likes of Robshaw, Henry and Rennie too.

Phillips too...extremely limited player when not on top form. Care is comfortably the form 9 atm.

Gilroy- not impossible, but a bit early to say yet.

BOD/Tuilagi- I think Jonathan Davies has to start. Hard to say on his partner, depends on form and fitness...if BOD is available, he'll be the favourite

Ashton- again not impossible, but I definitely think North will play on one wing.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »

There are loads of wingers better than Ashton. Even Halfpenny can be moved to wing if necessary. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Phillips didn't travel. The two England guys are the two front-runners at the moment, you'd imagine. Tipuric and Armitage should be ahead of Warburton as things stand

Also, Best > Strauss, Ferris >SOB. Lydiate also > SOB
    I think Strauss is better than best, don't think ferris will he fit or I'd obviously have him. I reckon Warburton will be picked regardless what form he's in. I think Phillips will start with experience. SOB Is the European player of the year, he's better than lydiate on form

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement