Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mine, not based on form, but just on who I'd purely like to see from a selfish point of view:

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Jones
    4. Ryan Jones
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. Tupuric
    8. Heaslip
    9. Care
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. Beck
    13. BOD
    14. Halfpenny
    15. Kearney
    ________

16. Best
    17. Corbisero
    18. Bent
    19. Grey
    20. SOB
    21. Simpson
    22. Biggar
    23. Earls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I think Strauss is better than best, don't think ferris will he fit or I'd obviously have him. I reckon Warburton will be picked regardless what form he's in. I think Phillips will start with experience
    I fear so. obviously the 6 nations will reveal a lot though.

I can see Strauss not travelling though I think he should. Think Hartley will get the England captaincy in the 6n and will be a pivotal player for them. Rees if he has a decent 6n too will prob make it.

If I had to pick it now I'd go with

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Jones
    4 Gray
    5 Lawes
    6 Lydiate/Ferris (really tough one, fitness will play a part here)
    7 Tipuric
    8 Heaslip
    9 Care
    10 Sexton
    11 Cuthbert
    12 Davies
    13 BOD (c)
    14 H'penny
    15 Kearney

16. Hartley 17. Sheridan/Corbis 18. Ross 19. AW Jones 20. SOB 21. Youngs 22. Flood/Wilkinson 23 Tuilagi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    Mine, not based on form, but just on who I'd purely like to see from a selfish point of view:

1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Jones
    4. Ryan Jones
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. Tupuric
    8. Heaslip
    9. Care
    10. Sexton
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. Beck
    13. BOD
    14. Halfpenny
    15. Kearney
    ________

16. Best
    17. Corbisero
    18. Bent
    19. Grey
    20. SOB
    21. Simpson
    22. Biggar
    23. Earls

Haha maybe they should play their games in Dublin and call themselves Leinster!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

bilston wrote: »

They do. They're called the Leinster Lions.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »

Like I said, selfish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

I'd probably start Corbisero with Healy off the bench after 50 minutes. Cole probably on the other side

Best and Strauss are probably the 2 best hookers

I think if Ryan returns to last seasons, or even Saturday's, form he has to be in with a shot at least. He's a seriously athletic 2nd rower (He made a fantastic tackle on the Argentine full back, I think, on Saturday). Lawes and Gray are the other stand outs, maybe POC but at this stage it seems impossible

The backrow has to include Lydiate I think, purely for his grunt. I'd consider SOB for 8, no real stand out candidate. I'll admit to only rarely seeing him play, but I haven't seen justification for Tipuric hype just yet. Possibly Warburton on his form this time last year, but definitely not on this years.

Care definitely to start. If Murray continues on recent form and speed of pass he should oust Philips. I don't think anyone wouldn't have Sexton. Flood probably his back up. I'd take NOC (if what I read on this is true) over Farrell, he was appalling on Saturday.

I think Scott Williams could be a bolter in centre but I think he may lack the passing game. Beck might be the opposite, not sure does he have the power. He's a super talent though and I could see him coming good in the 6N. Tuilagi, Davies and Roberts could all make it but BOD with a 2009 level 6N could make it. I wouldn't completely rule Earls out either.

The wingers could go anyway. Halfpenny has to be in the team, be it from wing or FB. I'd prefer FB but Kearney is hard to ignore. Cuthbert would probably be my next choice, as big as North, but much cleverer. Bowe's chasing game alone will have him in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

strange to see certain positions dominated by a particular country arguably... hooker is irelands and a fight between best and strauss whoever gets the game time wins i'd go Best with my Ulster hat on and because he has had a very good pre-injury season and last. then 9 is arguably english with care and youngs...care would be my pick at the moment and that may be because i dont rate youngs at all. and finally 7 appears to be sewn on as welsh with tipuric and warburton but with the AIs this may not be so prevalent not because anyone put their hand up but because warburton did nothing special and tipuric didnt get a good shot at it....armitage perhaps!

so without further note and because noone asked and invariably noone cares here is my Lions 15 or maybe 23 havent decided yet.

1.Healy
    2.Best
    3.Adam Jones
    4.Richie Gray (filling the ethnic quota)
    5.THE MOST UP FOR GRABS SPOT ON THE TEAM options below
    6.Dan Lydiate
    7.Sam Warburton (vice-cap)
    8. Jim Heaslip
    9. Danny Care
    10. Sexton
    12. Jonathon Davies
    13. O' Driscoll (c)
    11.Leigh Halfpenny
    14.George North
    15.Rob Kearney

options...POC, Lawes, Ryan, Mc Carthy, Hines, Charteris, Bradley Davies, Parling, Botha, Kellock, O Callaghan, Touhy plus another few ive undoubtedly missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

KJY wrote: »
    I'd probably start Corbisero with Healy off the bench after 50 minutes. Cole probably on the other side

I think if Ryan returns to last seasons, or even Saturday's, form he has to be in with a shot at least. He's a seriously athletic 2nd rower (He made a fantastic tackle on the Argentine full back, I think, on Saturday). Lawes and Gray are the other stand outs, maybe POC but at this stage it seems impossible

The backrow has to include Lydiate I think, purely for his grunt. I'd consider SOB for 8, no real stand out candidate. I'll admit to only rarely seeing him play, but I haven't seen justification for Tipuric hype just yet. Possibly Warburton on his form this time last year, but definitely not on this years.

Care definitely to start. If Murray continues on recent form and speed of pass he should oust Philips. I don't think anyone wouldn't have Sexton. Flood probably his back up. I'd take NOC (if what I read on this is true) over Farrell, he was appalling on Saturday.

I think Scott Williams could be a bolter in centre but I think he may lack the passing game. Beck might be the opposite, not sure does he have the power. He's a super talent though and I could see him coming good in the 6N. Tuilagi, Davies and Roberts could all make it but BOD with a 2009 level 6N could make it. I wouldn't completely rule Earls out either.

The wingers could go anyway. Halfpenny has to be in the team, be it from wing or FB. I'd prefer FB but Kearney is hard to ignore. Cuthbert would probably be my next choice, as big as North, but much cleverer. Bowe's chasing game alone will have him in contention.

Why so? I mean on current form he could easily start at FB (although Kearney will hopefully be back for the 6N and it will be close), but why do you think he has to be in the team? We have quite a few good wingers so I don't see the use in shoehorning him in ahead of more natural wingers.

Who?

Farrell was hardly appalling. Flood was actually very poor and deserved to be taken off early. Farrell did little wrong and England were entirely on the front foot while he was on. I don't see him travelling though indeed

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Why so? I mean on current form he could easily start at FB (although Kearney will hopefully be back for the 6N and it will be close), but why do you think he has to be in the team? We have quite a few good wingers so I don't see the use in shoehorning him in ahead of more natural wingers.

He just has that bit of class I think. Secure under a high ball, quick, great step and in the AI's something always happened when he got on the ball. In a non up and under orientated game, like it probably will be, I'd probably have him ahead of Kearney. Also a great defender. Was it the English match where he flung himself at a man on his own 5 in the last minute and forced a knock on or turnover of some effect?

Tox56 wrote: »

Dunno, I think he's got a point. Halfpenny is class and can pop up anywhere. He's one of the few wingers that has that ability to change his game to the conditions also. Look at the Cardiff against Leinster in the RDS this year. Cardiff were battered but Halfpenny still looked like the best back on the field imo. Set up Cuthberts tries and ran in himself. Who's the other wingers on show? Ashton? Meh? Bowe, fantastic winger/poacher ala Clerc but doesn't have the hands or feet of 1/2penny. Visser? Jury is still out on his defensive work. Earls? It's been so long since I've seen him on the wing I just don't know. Gilroy? Not established yet. Fitzgerald? Great hands but doesn't finish as well nor has the boots, probably pips him skill wise and defensively though. North? One trick pony imo.

I'd love to see him start with Kearney and form a back three with the third spot being left open for an other to impress during the 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Would go for:

Healy
    Best
    Jones
    Gray
    Charteris
    Ferris
    O'Brien
    Heaslip
    Care
    Sexton
    Gilroy
    Desperate Dan
    O'Driscoll
    North
    Kearney

Strauss
    Corbisiero
    Bent (just for the reaction it'll get on here)
    Lawes
    Tipuric
    AN Other - is there any top class scrum half in the home nations?
    Biggar
    Halfpenny

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Who?

Farrell was hardly appalling. Flood was actually very poor and deserved to be taken off early. Farrell did little wrong and England were entirely on the front foot while he was on. I don't see him travelling though indeed

Niall O'Connor, seems to get a bit of a roasting on here. ROG may have been more apt. Sorry, I only watched from after the Irish game so presumed Flood went of injured. Farrell just has zero creativity, he ran the back line dreadfully. Can't remember any examples but Barnes was crucifying him

Niall O'Connor, seems to get a bit of a roasting on here. ROG may have been more apt. Sorry, I only watched from after the Irish game so presumed Flood went of injured. Farrell just has zero creativity, he ran the back line dreadfully. Can't remember any examples but Barnes was crucifying him

I'd agree about Farrell on creativity. Flood has shown a real lack of it too in these games though and that is worrying for England

Don't worry Niall O'Connor won't be anywhere near that plane even if fly half is a weak position.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

My Team would be as follows
    1. Healy
    2. Strauss
    3. Jones
    4. Ryan
    5. Gray (POC if fit)
    6. Ferris if fit otherwise Lydiate
    7. no standout performers, think Warburton will get picked regardless
    8. Faletau, would like to see SOB get gametime at 8
    9. Care
    10. Sexton
    11. Visser/ North
    12. not sure on inside center
    13. J Davies
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

There's a shed load of 12s who'll be in contention. Roberts, Williams, Beck.. that's just the Welsh. Darce, BOD have been mentioned, and in fairness Darce out performed Roberts in the AIs. You also have Farrell and possibly Tuilagi as a bosh center. Outside chances? Downey, Marshall, Deluca.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There's a shed load of 12s who'll be in contention. Roberts, Williams, Beck.. that's just the Welsh. Darce, BOD have been mentioned, and in fairness Darce out performed Roberts in the AIs. You also have Farrell and possibly Tuilagi as a bosh center. Outside chances? Downey, Marshall, Deluca.

De Luca has about as much chance playing for the Lions as I do.

Just not good enough.

Davies as a 12 and Beck would be my preferred options. Roberts if he manages to get some form. BOD only if he plays there for Ireland/Leinster...if Marshall is the Ireland 12, he has a chance. I think Tuilagi will probably travel as a 12/13 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Roberts is very injury prone, I'd be worried he'll pick up another injury before the tour.

Aside from the injuries I just don't think Roberts is the player he used to be. Looks tired, lethargic and off balance. He puts in a couple of trademark hits that just about keeps him on the side per game, but also gets walked through easily from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Jenkins
    Best
    Jones
    Grey
    Lawes
    SOB
    Tipuric
    Heaslip
    Care
    Sexton
    North
    Roberts/Davies
    BOD
    Bowe
    Kearney

Strauss
    Healy
    Cole
    Ryan (cant see POC travelling)
    Lydiate
    Philips/Youngs
    Farrell
    Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Aside from the injuries I just don't think Roberts is the player he used to be. Looks tired, lethargic and off balance. He puts in a couple of trademark hits that just about keeps him on the side per game, but also gets walked through easily from time to time.

He's 26! He has been playing a lot of rugby the last 18 months, picked up a few niggly injuries and has played in one awful (Cardiff) and one seriously out of form team (Wales).

Put him on a hard track, behind a dominant pack, outside anyone but Priestlad and most importantly beside his self confessed hero "The Bodfather" and this lad will makes bits of the Australians.

Actually considering how good Roberts and O'Driscoll were together the last time I'd bring them both regardless of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

(To quote you phatpiggins)

"Roberts plays well every two years": Lions 2009 and RWC2011. Lions 2013 is bang on time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

I havent seen Williams or Beck play and Roberts is injured a bit, thought Davies was a 13 only. Tuilagi cant pass well enough to be a 12 and is more a 13 he will travel but not start the 1st test, I dont think Farrell is that great but he is a better 12 than he is a 10. Darcy will need to have a great 6n and HCUP to start the tests i think

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Would love it to happen but I really don't see BOD making the test team. I think if he plays the 6N he'll tour but the Aussie back line has a hell of a lot of pace about it and I'd worry BOD would be exposed. But the centres are really up in the air at this stage.

Like I said before, Luke Marshall has a huge chance of touring if he can squeeze past Wallace at Ulster. If BOD returns for the 6N I think Kidney will pick Marshall at 12.

Actually considering how good Roberts and O'Driscoll were together the last time I'd bring them both regardless of form.

Ah sure Keith Wood was handy at the aul Lions, bring him too! ;) Form? What's that? :P

I'm aware of Roberts age. But bringing someone who's playing like a drain on the hope that they play like they did 4 years ago is ridiculous. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ah sure Keith Wood was handy at the aul Lions, bring him too! ;) Form? What's that? :P

I'm aware of Roberts age. But bringing someone who's playing like a drain on the hope that they play like they did 4 years ago is ridiculous. :P

Not as ridiculous as a grown man using smiley faces to justify a weak argument.
    Sorry do the smiley faces indicate humour?

His form isn't that bad, he was playing very well 12 months ago and considering the lack of options at 12 there's no chance he won't travel.

Not as ridiculous as a grown man using smiley faces to justify a weak argument.

His form isn't that bad, he was playing very well 12 months ago and considering the lack of options at 12 there's no chance he won't travel.

Whoever said I'm a grown man? ;):( :mad: :D This one's good for a laugh too... :pac:

Anyhow. Yeah dude it's just an opinion, on how I think he's playing right now. I never said he wouldn't travel. It's all good...

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

Any talk of either Marshall or Gilroy touring in nothing short of ludicrous

Two players who not only have barely played or their country, but are not even certain starters for their club. We often laugh at other countries one eyed view of potential Lions squad but this type of talk must be up there with the worst of it.

It must be on par with a welshman saying Samson Lee should tour ahead of Healy (think he is a TH but you get my dirft)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Gilroy is most likely included by most as the bolter candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement