Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

danthefan wrote: »
    Who cares? Who seriously cares? Why is it an issue?

This is why ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who cares? Who seriously cares? Why is it an issue?

I just thought it was a bit over the top when he did 3/4 times in a game. It wouldn't make me dislike him or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have only seen the extended highlights but Tuilagi was very impressive today.

The Lions should be aiming to win this tour 3-0 imo. Aus aren't all that and there's a lot of good players in B&I at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

He said he'd cut out the swan dives but for top quality tries, it got a bit stupid when he was diving for a walkover try against Romania.

Will be interesting to see what he does in Thomond next week.

Will be interesting to see what he does in Thomond next week.

I hope we're not given that chance thank you very much :pac:.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I hope we're not given that chance thank you very much :pac:.

I think Sarries will fancy their chances tbh, they've been steadily improving and Hodgson is back too.

Plus Goode, Farrell, Ashton, Barritt will be on a high after this week.

I think Sarries will fancy their chances tbh, they've been steadily improving and Hodgson is back too.

Plus Goode, Farrell, Ashton, Barritt will be on a high after this week.

Yeah, I'd say they will. Still, as a Munster fan, I'd rather Ashton did not get a chance to practice his diving technique :).

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stuart Hogg? I have not seen much of him, but he does have bucket-loads of pace.

He would fit in as a utility back like Earls in 09 and he would be one of the few token scots needed to tour..

Fooker wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stuart Hogg? I have not seen much of him, but he does have bucket-loads of pace.

He would fit in as a utility back like Earls in 09 and he would be one of the few token scots needed to tour..

I think, to a degree, he's unlucky that he's primarily a full back so there are 2 outstanding options already there in Kearney and (hopefully after today) Halfpenny. England have 3 good options there as well so it's a heavily contested position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Hogg is playing 13 at the moment against Munster in an insipid Glasgow backline. He's their only bright spark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fooker wrote: »

Can't see Hogg starting but I definitely think he'll travel.

They will have to pick a few Scottish players, the last thing the Lions want is to alienate Scottish fans and see jersey sales there plummet. Gray is on the plane with Visser and Hogg both probables. If Laidlaw shows decent form in the Six Nations he'll go as he covers 9 & 10.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think they'll have to pick one player from each of the home nations in the interest of the team representing the 4 nations.

I don't think jersey sales will come into at all, certainly not in Scotland which would be the smallest market anyway.

The Scots do have a couple of talented players who will be in the mix but I think they realise it's just two or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Even if only one or two Scots do make the tour don't be surprised to see them make the test side. Surround the likes of Gray and Visser with better players and I think you'll see them raise their game to a level they can't do with Scotland. It happened with the Irish lads in '97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Watched highlights of the England game

Amazing what a difference a game makes. Ben Youngs is probably the leading 9 all of a sudden, while Tuilagi and Ashton did their chances the world of good. Think Robshaw would be good as a midweek captain at least. Lawes looked super hungry when he was on today he'll be a big addition to them in the 6n.

After today, does Tom Youngs deserve to be left out of the 6n opener, even in favour of Hartley?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought (Ben) Youngs was average. Very slow and pedantic. Defo don't think the SH won them the game. I thought Care looked better when he was on.

.ak wrote: »
    I thought (Ben) Youngs was average. Very slow and pedantic. Defo don't think the SH won them the game. I thought Care looked better when he was on.
    Thought youngs was brilliant myself. Care wasn't on that long at all and definitely didn't do anything stand out. He was grand like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Watched highlights of the England game

Amazing what a difference a game makes. Ben Youngs is probably the leading 9 all of a sudden, while Tuilagi and Ashton did their chances the world of good. Think Robshaw would be good as a midweek captain at least. Lawes looked super hungry when he was on today he'll be a big addition to them in the 6n.

After today, does Tom Youngs deserve to be left out of the 6n opener, even in favour of Hartley?

I'd have to diasagree - I didn't watch the match but imo no matter how well Youngs or anyone else played, one game is not enough to makle someone the leading player in a fight for a Lions jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd have to diasagree - I didn't watch the match but imo no matter how well Youngs or anyone else played, one game is not enough to makle someone the leading player in a fight for a Lions jersey.

Who is leading in your opinion?

Well given it's between Care and himself (bar a massive improvement by someone else or a selection error on Gatland's part) and Youngs now seems to have overtaken Care as the English 9, then I have to conclude Youngs is indeed the current frontrunner. I'd have Care, but if he doesn't start in the 6n it'll be extremely difficult to make a case for him over Youngs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Preliminary squad will be put together by the coaches this side of Christmas. So that one game can indeed make him the leading contender. Upto Care to change things in the 6 nations but those who did well in the AI's certainly did their chances more good than those who didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know when the identity of the members of Gatland's backroom staff is going to be announced

Quade Cooper has re-signed with the ARU, so he'll be available for the Lions Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Who is leading in your opinion?

I'd probably have to stick with Care, but come to think of it, cgpg5 is right about it being unlikely Care will take over again from Youngs in the six nations!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

farrel and rowentree and howley added to the lions set up...looks like a few more english could travel now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

An all Welsh/English management team would augur well for a potential Irish captain, one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

GerM wrote: »
    An all Welsh/English management team would augur well for a potential Irish captain, one would think.
    think it was on this thread i mentioned a month back that Heaslip was 80/1 to be captain....

in saying that i cant think of any player bar possibly Warburton & Heaslip who'll be test starters.

Youngs form might see Hartley struggling for english game time.

as for the SH debate above, the 3 i'd go with would be youngs, care and Phillips and let form decide who'll start. MIke Philipps on Lions tours in like Poulter in the ryder cup he really steps up and i'd expect to see him starting.

Quade Cooper has re-signed with the ARU, so he'll be available for the Lions Series.

That's good, will certainly add some spice!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Anyone hear joe Schmidt say that he won't be a lions coach in the post match interview? The sky presenter said they were expecting Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards to be the other coaches.

Outrageous decision. Shaun Edwards showed how good a coach he is this autumn and Andy Farrell's been crap bar one match against nz.

Sign of things to come with squad selection methinks. Expect lots of welsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There's a possibility Schmidt doesn't want to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement