Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

padraig.od wrote: »
    Lads those stats are rubbish. SOB's should be considered in light of him playing 3 test against the the best team in the world during the summer. Warbs had Australia - was Pococke injured? Rennie looks great as he played Samoa & Fiji.

I'd prefer to see stats for 6N only, it might be a fairer reflection.

Samoa, yeah they're just awful aren't they?

And Pocock being injured doesn't make a difference, it's not as if he'd have followed Warburton around the pitch all game.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Rennie's are really impressive.

Most metres made, most offloads, most defenders beaten, most clean breaks, most turnovers. Hmmm

Also got some really dodgy ones - most turned over per match, most penalties conceded and most tackles missed. Maybe I'm being overly dour and English, but that's unacceptable defensive frailty in a back-row forward to me.

The real loser in those stats is Warburton, looks rather ineffective.
    Impressive on Sunday, though can't see him being anywhere near a Lions squad or the Welsh team.

Biggar and Hook will rightly be first and second choice at 10 for Wales I'd say, and it's very rare/unlikely to have a 10 as a 'bolter', especially with the likes of Flood, Wilkinson, Laidlaw, Farrell and the above two as competition.

Biggar's never been trusted for Wales, likewise Hook, Flood's flaky, no one really knows how well Wilko is doing, Laidlaw can't tackle and Farrell's a very poor attacking fly-half, miracle against NZ notwithstanding.

Right now I'm praying for a bolter at 10. There's a reason everyone's sure about Sexton playing there, and no insult to him, its not because of how great he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Right now I'm praying for a bolter at 10. There's a reason everyone's sure about Sexton playing there, and no insult to him, its not because of how great he is.

He's the only option at the moment, but in my eyes he's far and above any of the other tens in the home nations, and one of the best in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    He's the only option at the moment, but in my eyes he's far and above any of the other tens in the home nations, and one of the best in the world

What happened to your username? Did you change position? Are you Gordon D'Arcy?

What happened to your username? Did you change position? Are you Gordon D'Arcy?

Ha no sure I closed the old account. But yes I'm now a lifelong Leinster fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Also got some really dodgy ones - most turned over per match, most penalties conceded and most tackles missed. Maybe I'm being overly dour and English, but that's unacceptable defensive frailty in a back-row forward to me.

The real loser in those stats is Warburton, looks rather ineffective.

Biggar's never been trusted for Wales, likewise Hook, Flood's flaky, no one really knows how well Wilko is doing, Laidlaw can't tackle and Farrell's a very poor attacking fly-half, miracle against NZ notwithstanding.

Ah right, so all our NH fly halfs are **** then eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Ah right, so all our NH fly halfs are **** then eh?

Not the exact words I'd have used.

For the Lions, I'd be looking for two or three players I'd call 8/10, 9/10 performers. A*. Instead we've got Sexton, who I think is that, and a bunch of guys who are Bs, guys who I'd call 7/10 at best. Competent international performers but little more. Which is personally far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Not the exact words I'd have used.

For the Lions, I'd be looking for two or three players I'd call 8/10, 9/10 performers. A*. Instead we've got Sexton, who I think is that, and a bunch of guys who are Bs, guys who I'd call 7/10 at best. Competent international performers but little more. Which is personally far from ideal.

I think that's fair enough. Sexton has been very good for Ireland for the most part, especially if you take into account the pretty limited tactics that we employ. Probably an 8/10 performer at the moment. I'd rather have him than any of the options the Wallabies will have at 10, be it Cooper or someone else.

Ideally we'd have a number of other 8/10 or better performers competing for the 10 jersey but at the moment all of the options are a bit meh really. One has to hope that A) Sexton dominates in the 6N and really nails down the starting spot and B) Biggar, Flood, Laidlaw, Farrell or whoever else emerges really looks like a genuine contender for the jersey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Patchell. Bolter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

jacothelad wrote: »
    Patchell. Bolter.

No love for Paddy Jackson?

• Advertisement

Hype710 wrote: »
    No love for Paddy Jackson?
    Lots. You may have noticed that
    a) He isn't Welsh and
    b) He's behind O'Gara for an international shirt.
    c) Patchell looks the real all round deal. Now. Wales need a 10.
    d) Paddy is still developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

a) He isn't Welsh and

Paddy J Heineken Cup winning outhalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

a) He isn't Welsh and

Time will tell but I'd agree that this will come a year too early for Paddy. He won't be selected ahead of ROG but if he were then he'd be in with a shout. Ulster's likely progression to at least the semi final will have him in the selectors' minds in any case. I haven't seen enough of Patchell but I'd imagine it will be the same scenario for him as well as George Ford, good prospects but unlikely to show what they can do in enough high profile games to be selected in such a crucial position. Then again, there really is a dearth of quality fly halves in these isles so we could yet see a surprise.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 fly halves travel and a third who can cover 10, 12 and possible 15. James Hook springs to mind and has Lions experience.

The thing is patchell might very well play in the 6Ns,. P.J. won't

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who's Patchell when he's at home? Is this the young Prince Harry lookalike at Cardiff?

bilston wrote: »
    Who's Patchell when he's at home? Is this the young Prince Harry lookalike at Cardiff?

Tis

And he had a stormer the other night. Was magnifique for a 19year old beanpole 10.

Tis

And he had a stormer the other night. Was magnifique for a 19year old beanpole 10.
    The Welsh guys have been raving about him for some time. Did you see him run down the French wing? Fast as a goose with the squits - and his place kicking was awesome. Tackles like a 7 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8353860,00.html

Charteris likely to be out of contention for the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Nick Evans and "Jiffy" Davies have named their teams for the first test.....

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/12/2934/nick-evans-and-jonathan-davies-pick-their-british-irish-lions-starting-xv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ShamFeen wrote: »

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/12/2934/nick-evans-and-jonathan-davies-pick-their-british-irish-lions-starting-xv

1. Gethin Jenkins

Stopped reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

danthefan wrote: »
    1. Gethin Jenkins

Stopped reading.

Davies had Sheridan. Also, Evans had Easter. I'm sure there's no bias there or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Good to see Rory in both selections. I said a few weeks back- a dark horse for captaincy? He'd be my pick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

ShamFeen wrote: »

Cian Healy should be one of the first names on the team sheet ffs, Britain's continued rejection of him is driving me mad. Best loosie in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

these pundits XVs are such a nonsense.If the lions just pick on reputation and who has the most caps,the tour will just be a joke.It must be picked on current form-they are the players that deserve to go.So much changes so quickly-look at wales-grandslam 6 months ago to now 7 losses in a row.
    Lots of welsh players-gethin jenkins,sam warburton,mike phillips,jamie roberts-do not deserve to be anywhere near a test XV on current form. Even with ireland,until brian o driscoll,paul o connell or stephen ferris are back injury free playing well,they shouldnt be being mentioned.O Driscoll in particularly has it all to do as both manu tuilagi and jonathan davies have been better than him in past year.He needs a brilliant six nations.

As for loosehead-it will all depend on what gatland wants.if he wants the most mobile prop,then healy gets the nod,if he wants better scrummagers,corbisiero or sheridan will get the nod. Healy has had a pretty decent year,but i really struggle to understand the best loosehead in world comments-I guess you expect a loose to dominate at scrum time and destroy opposition scrums at times for that sort of label.

these pundits XVs are such a nonsense.If the lions just pick on reputation and who has the most caps,the tour will just be a joke.It must be picked on current form-they are the players that deserve to go.So much changes so quickly-look at wales-grandslam 6 months ago to now 7 losses in a row.
    Lots of welsh players-gethin jenkins,sam warburton,mike phillips,jamie roberts-do not deserve to be anywhere near a test XV on current form. Even with ireland,until brian o driscoll,paul o connell or stephen ferris are back injury free playing well,they shouldnt be being mentioned.O Driscoll in particularly has it all to do as both manu tuilagi and jonathan davies have been better than him in past year.He needs a brilliant six nations.

As for loosehead-it will all depend on what gatland wants.if he wants the most mobile prop,then healy gets the nod,if he wants better scrummagers,corbisiero or sheridan will get the nod. Healy has had a pretty decent year,but i really struggle to understand the best loosehead in world comments-I guess you expect a loose to dominate at scrum time and destroy opposition scrums at times for that sort of label.

Which he does on a very regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

You say that as if Cian won't be much use in the scrums at all, his scrummaging is very underrated IMO, and last time he came up against Australia he killed them in the scrums and in the loose in the world cup.

Cian Healy is a brilliant scrummager. And even if he wasn't the best it's not like he'll be up against much with the Australian front row

Healy is by far away the best in the loose and if there is a difference in scrummaging between him and the other options (and I'm not sure there is) it's insignificant. He's clearly the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

give me games in past year v better scrum teams like england,france,safrica or nzealand when healy has domintaed and mangled their scrum? or what about recently V ulster and clermont,when leinster scrum was well beaten-or is the tighthead totally to blame now?
    healy at scrum time has improved but he holds his own most of the time at best.
    its pure irish/leinster bias to me to rate healy quite so highly

• Advertisement

give me games in past year v better scrum teams like england,france,safrica or nzealand when healy has domintaed and mangled their scrum? or what about recently V ulster and clermont,when leinster scrum was well beaten-or is the tighthead totally to blame now?
    healy at scrum time has improved but he holds his own most of the time at best.
    its pure irish/leinster bias to me to rate healy quite so highly

You're not seriously using the England game against him, are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement