Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Dan Lydiate will have a huge say in the 6 jersey. He's Gatland's golden boy and the engine in the Welsh pack. If I was picking the team tomorrow, I'd have him in it. He's an excellent player.

The bloke I'd have in contention with him is Ferris and I just can't see him being fit for a 10 game tour after a season. He's made of glass these days. 14 games for Ulster is the most he has managed in a season over the last 4 years. Of all the last 3 seasons, he has been significantly injured by the end of season and missed out on Ireland's summer games.

Kearney is an excellent player and will surely tour but I think Gavin Hastings and JPR Williams might just have something to say about delivering the greatest performances of a full back in a Lions jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Tox56 wrote: »
    Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Can't see SOB getting the nod at 7...fetcher / classic 7 required.

And so you wouldn't bring him because..?

Who said anything about not bringing him?

I just said that I didn't see him getting the nod at open side in the Test side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Who said anything about not bringing him?

I just said that I didn't see him getting the nod at open side in the Test side.

What I'm on about is the suggestion that SOB isn't a "classic 7", I don't know what more SOB could have done in that NZ tour to end that discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

What I'm on about is the suggestion that SOB isn't a "classic 7", I don't know what more SOB could have done in that NZ tour to end that discussion.

Or with Leinster all year. SOB has turned into the definition of a poaching 7, despite what George Hook would have you believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

European Player of the Year Rob Kearney left out?

The man who arguably delivered the greatest fullback performance in the history of the Lions during the 2nd Test in Pretoria?

I wouldn't like to see him defend against Australia tbh. Just about every other facet of his game is excellent but his defense/tackling, which is the most important requirement to play fullback. If I was picking the team I would be apprehensive about him or if I was his club coach I'd have quite the talk with him. I'd expect him to be put into situations against Australia that would show up his defense, particularly in the first test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Whilst defence is probably the weakest part of Kearneys game its hard to recall many incidents where its really cost his team, he's by no means a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I wouldn't say defence is the most important facet of a fullback's game. Just one of the many responsibilities. The best full-back's in the world i.e. Dagg and Beale aren't renowned for their defensive capabilities. Foden and Halfpenny are better defenders than Kearney, but I'd still have him ahead of them for his ariel skills and his attacking capabilities. Although not by much. If Halfpenny gets the nod it will probably be due to his kicking. Kearney is a weak defender though.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Sindri wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see him defend against Australia tbh. Just about every other facet of his game is excellent but his defense/tackling, which is the most important requirement to play fullback. If I was picking the team I would be apprehensive about him or if I was his club coach I'd have quite the talk with him. I'd expect him to be put into situations against Australia that would show up his defense, particularly in the first test.

Tbh, i would've thought fullback would be the place to put your worst defender. They're defensive weaknesses can be covered up by good positioning.

Anyway Kearney's defence is by no means bad enough to take away the fact that he's the best fullback in the NH at the moment, if not in the whole world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

My own view is that Kearney is the stand out fullback in the world right now...he's a man that the Aussies would fear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

My own view is that Kearney is the stand out fullback in the world right now...he's a man that the Aussies would fear

They won't kick it too him much and that would nullify about 60% of his game.

My own thoughts on the starting 15 would be that if Sexton starts at 10 then there s no need to play Halfpenny but I could easily see Gatland plump for a running 10 like Laidlaw or Priestland which mean Halfpenny would be needed for the place kicking.

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Or with Leinster all year. SOB has turned into the definition of a poaching 7, despite what George Hook would have you believe

George Hook reckons he should play hooker !! Enough said

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My own thoughts on the starting 15 would be that if Sexton starts at 10 then there s no need to play Halfpenny but I could easily see Gatland plump for a running 10 like Laidlaw or Priestland which mean Halfpenny would be needed for the place kicking.

Priestland is no better a running 10 then Sexton, he is just completely unable to vary his approach to the game. He is a much worse flyhalf and will struggle to stay ahead of Biggar for Wales.

Laidlaw is an interesting one. I think Sexton is well ahead now, but he's a very classy player. He can kick though can he not?

Podge_irl wrote: »

Priestland is no better a running 10 then Sexton, he is just completely unable to vary his approach to the game. He is a much worse flyhalf and will struggle to stay ahead of Biggar for Wales.

Laidlaw is an interesting one. I think Sexton is well ahead now, but he's a very classy player. He can kick though can he not?

I agree completely on Priestland but Gatland has a blind spot for him. Laidlaw can kick well from about 30-35 metres but is very patchy any further then that. If i had an option like Halfpenny i d go with him if i was starting Laidlaw.

For what its worth i think Sexton should start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kearney isn't just the catching machine he's being made out to be lately, he's a far more potent broken field runner than halfpenny and I don't think the fact that Halfpenny is a goal-kicker will be much of an advantage with Sexton presumably at 10. Hogg is very young and more of a center IMO and Foden is just after losing the starting 15 shirt for England and has a very poor year

Plenty of teams didn't horse high balls up to him this year and along with Best he was still Ireland's stand out player and is still the frontrunner for the starting 15 shirt IMO

Don't see how you can say he might not be on the plane on the evidence of current form and ability

Honestly I think the games were he stood out were the games the ball was kicked to him or were he collected Garryowens in crowded areas. It's by far his strongest asset.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its hard to know exactly how Gatland views Priestland. Biggar is a fairly limited player himself so its not like he's got many options.

Kearney's last man defence worries me at times, its that rather then Halfpenny's kicking that I think might see him lose the shirt. I really struggle to see Sexton not starting at the moment - I'd go so far as to say that starting Priestland could lose us the series. He's just not a great flyhalf and I can't see Gatland making that mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its hard to know exactly how Gatland views Priestland. Biggar is a fairly limited player himself so its not like he's got many options.

Kearney's last man defence worries me at times, its that rather then Halfpenny's kicking that I think might see him lose the shirt. I really struggle to see Sexton not starting at the moment - I'd go so far as to say that starting Priestland could lose us the series. He's just not a great flyhalf and I can't see Gatland making that mistake.

Yep, I think the 10 jersey is Sexton's to lose; Priestland and Biggar are not in the same league (yet, anyway), there's no real candidate in Scotland and this tour is probably a year early for any of the English guys.

As for Kearney, he is nailed on to tour and if he has another season like he just had, he'll be starting the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think a lot of the selections will be based on partnerships like starting Foden with Ashton, and the Welsh flyhalf with Phillips. Sexton better pray that an Irish scrumhalf makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jm08 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the selections will be based on partnerships like starting Foden with Ashton, and the Welsh flyhalf with Phillips. Sexton better pray that an Irish scrumhalf makes it.

Ashton will be doing well to make the plane, and I don't see how 1 wing + fullback is a "combination" in the same way a 9/10 axis is.

If Youngs/Care have good seasons, I have a feeling they'll have a good chance of starting, Phillips has been very average.

Finally, if the selectors are going to start Priestland simply based on the fact Phillips is starting, I think they need their head examined.

Leaving aside that Foden isn't even England's first choice anymore, and how limited Ashton is. Of all the logistical problems surrounding a Lions team, familiarity between a winger and fullback isn't that high a priority

I hope Phillips doesn't start at 9. We'll have a serious backline and we don't need an extra flanker slowing down play

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Part and parcel of the Lions is seeing combinations we'll never get to see otherwise; Roberts and BOD, Aul-wyn Jones and POC, Croft and Wallace to name but a few from the recent series. It's one of the things that makes the Lions so exciting, and you'd think there'd be a lot said behind closed doors to make sure that appeal is still there. If Philips and Priestland start I'd be very surprised, and to be honest, a little bored. I've seen that combo before, lets try something like Youngs and Sexton, or Care and Biggar.

I'd really like to see Beck make it into the squad also - I know it's a big ask, but I think he'd make a huge addition and a great bolter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think if you know your recent Lions history, you'd realise that international partnerships are very rarely retained. In terms of the halfbacks, Phillips-Jones was the exception that proved the rule.

1997 (first tour I was old enough to appreciate); Dawson-Townsend
    2001; Howley-Wilkinson
    2005; Peel-Wilkinson
    2009; Phillips-Jones

I suppose what jumps out at you from that list is the total absence of Irish guys...

Leaving aside that Foden isn't even England's first choice anymore, and how limited Ashton is. Of all the logistical problems surrounding a Lions team, familiarity between a winger and fullback isn't that high a priority

I hope Phillips doesn't start at 9. We'll have a serious backline and we don't need an extra flanker slowing down play

Where are you getting this twaddle about Foden not being first choice from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Probably because he started only one game at 15 during the summer tour

Because he's been shafted to the wing for the in form Brown during the summer tour. And if England had a test in the morning Brown would get the 15 jersey again

Hardly "twaddle"

Probably because he started only one game at 15 during the summer tour

And that was because Brown was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

youngs-sexton would be great imo, youngs is a cracking wee player

sixy wrote: »
    youngs-sexton would be great imo, youngs is a cracking wee player

When on form he is alright, but he's very inconsistent

I think Care is the best 9 in the British Isles at the moment. He also happens to be a nutcase though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm sorry but Foden is clearly a better player than Brown. Brown starting during the summer tours is what I like to think of as experimentation.

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Foden is clearly a better player than Brown. Brown starting during the summer tours is what I like to think of as experimentation.

When on form its not even a question, he's a much superior player. But Foden had a very poor year last year and Brown had a very good one. Even at that Lancaster had a tough choice but he awarded form and Foden has to win back the jersey, ergo he's not really first choice anymore

For what it's worth I've no doubt that if he regains any of his form he'll get back into the shirt because I think Brown is very limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd love to see Foden played at 9 for a few games. That's where he started out right? He strikes me as a Philips-esque SH with a better skillset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement