Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

jm08 wrote: »

They misquoted Woody - He said it would be one of the highlights of his career. (to be selected as B&I Lions Captain). He wasn't!

Similar situation with Ferris - "Being a part of that team is one of the highlights of my career," Ferris says now.

It was a big deal for DOC to be selected as captain - must read his biography to see what he thinks of it now.

Dig up man. I could give you another few dozen quotes if I could be bothered searching for them. Loads of players consider the Lions the highest honour in the game. Martin Johnson rated his Lions win higher than his World Cup win. Woody is a Lions ambassador and is forever being interviewed where he says that it is the highest honour in the game. You just want some sort of excuse to justify your irrational dislike of Heaslip.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

phog wrote: »
    I'm a Munster fan and would know a fair amount of Munster fans and I can assure none of us "hate" Heaslip. We may not be as orgasmic about him as some of the Leinster fans are but that's a far cry from hating him.

He was booed coming off for Ireland in Thomond Park. Playing for Ireland not Leinster. It was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Higher wrote: »
    He was booed coming off for Ireland in Thomond Park. Playing for Ireland not Leinster. It was unbelievable.

No one respond to this - we all know how it ended last time.

EDIT: For clarification - no one knows who, or why the boo'ing was heard over TV, and we're not about to begin speculation again thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

I'm prepared to be attacked for my views, but I reckon that a player and a fan's love for the Lions is related to their background.

The Lions means a lot more to the South County Dublin set than it does to the Limerick set. There's still a "West Brit" stigma about the Lions that many (particularly from the country) find tough to take. Similarly, the Lions means a lot more to people who are steeped in rugby tradition than it does to the "Johnny Come Latelys" that have started supporting Leinster and Ireland in recent years.

It's a bit like the phenomenon of Leinster fans "preferring" Leinster to Ireland. To me, that's an abomination and it's seems most prevalent among the "Johnny Come Latelys".

There is some of that that I agree with, but there are **** loads of Munster fans that are the exact same - prefer Munster to Ireland, and jumped on the bandwagon after they had a bit of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Certain posts deleted. Folks attack the post, not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

he is the best 8 in the country by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

leftleg wrote: »
    he is the best 8 in the country by a mile

Bottom line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The Lions means a lot more to the South County Dublin set than it does to the Limerick set. There's still a "West Brit" stigma about the Lions that many (particularly from the country) find tough to take. Similarly, the Lions means a lot more to people who are steeped in rugby tradition than it does to the "Johnny Come Latelys" that have started supporting Leinster and Ireland in recent years.

Well I guess a lot of "Johnny Come Latelys" throughout the country need to look at the history of the Lions then and see how many famous Lions have come from outside Leinster in the last 4 decades including multiple captains. The Lions have a massive traditional presence from Munster and Ulster and Connacht too have significant history with the Lions.

There's definitely an element of dislike of the Lions as a British entity among the less informed but it's a little odd given how strong the ties are with the tour in all the provinces and how much it means to the players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm prepared to be attacked for my views, but I reckon that a player and a fan's love for the Lions is related to their background.

It's a bit like the phenomenon of Leinster fans "preferring" Leinster to Ireland. To me, that's an abomination and it's seems most prevalent among the "Johnny Come Latelys".

I don't really think thats true though. Colm Tucker (RIP), for instance, was a legend in Limerick because of his Lions exploits, among other things.

GerM wrote: »
    Well I guess a lot of "Johnny Come Latelys" throughout the country need to look at the history of the Lions then and see how many famous Lions have come from outside Leinster in the last 4 decades including multiple captains. The Lions have a massive traditional presence from Munster and Ulster and Connacht too have significant history with the Lions.

There's definitely an element of dislike of the Lions as a British entity among the less informed but it's a little odd given how strong the ties are with the tour in all the provinces and how much it means to the players involved.

just a long winded hot air excuse imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »

I think Irish people tend to think that Ireland is above the Lions and British people (Welsh etc) think of the Lions being more of a country (UK) team. This may be due to the fact that prior to 2001, they were called the British Lions.

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Dig up man. I could give you another few dozen quotes if I could be bothered searching for them. Loads of players consider the Lions the highest honour in the game. Martin Johnson rated his Lions win higher than his World Cup win. Woody is a Lions ambassador and is forever being interviewed where he says that it is the highest honour in the game. You just want some sort of excuse to justify your irrational dislike of Heaslip.

Give me an example of Woody saying going on a Lions Tour was his greatest achievement/honour/highlight of his career.

(PS - read further than the headline and look for a direct quote from him).

I don't feel any need to justify anything. ;)

Give me an example of Woody saying going on a Lions Tour was his greatest achievement/honour/highlight of his career.

(PS - read further than the headline and look for a direct quote from him).

I don't feel any need to justify anything. ;)

you still haven't justified your earlier comment that its bizarre for Houdini to have the lions caps as his career highlights but for quite ok for DOC to have it.

I think Irish people tend to think that Ireland is above the Lions and British people (Welsh etc) think of the Lions being more of a country (UK) team. This may be due to the fact that prior to 2001, they were called the British Lions.

Only very small minded people would hold such a grudge. I think its a disservice to the nation to say 'Irish people think'. I would rephrase it to 'A small section of bigoted, narrow minded Irish people think'.

Disliking the Lions because they used to be called the British Lions is completely over the top and not reflective of Ireland and especially the Irish rugby community.

you still haven't justified your earlier comment that its bizarre for Houdini to have the lions caps as his career highlights but for quite ok for DOC to have it.

I said I would like to see that quote from a neutral source (i.e., not the Lions website).

But didnt you hear? Heaslip wears a blue coloured scrum cap and does DROP GOALS before his warm ups. He also wears headphones.

This guy clearly has a massive problem. Hes Houdini, but DOC now hes a legend, 'unseen work', fantastic player!

As has been said, some people have an irrational dislike for Heaslip. No point in even trying to argue with them.

I said I would like to see that quote from a neutral source (i.e., not the Lions website).

Is a video of him saying it sufficient? Or has that been doctored by the evil pro-Lions BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8101084.stm

How about irishrugby.ie?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/15160.php
    "It is the biggest honour I have ever had bestowed on me, and you must enjoy moments like this when you're living out your dreams,"

Do you think that its untrue that DOC said that because its on the lions website and not say munsterrugby.ie? Are you now saying that whats on the lions official website is lies??

Only very small minded people would hold such a grudge. I think its a disservice to the nation to say 'Irish people think'. I would rephrase it to 'A small section of bigoted, narrow minded Irish people think'.

I don't think there is anything small-minded or bigotted about holding your country team in greater esteem than a team that comes together to play a couple of games every 4 years.
    Disliking the Lions because they used to be called the British Lions is completely over the top and not reflective of Ireland and especially the Irish rugby community.

Who said anything about disliking the Lions? Lots of Irish people do and there is nothing wrong with that. Most Irish people have no problem supporting Man Utd, Liverpool, Celtic etc. - they are all British clubs (some with Irish players). Its just not the same as Ireland (or indeed any of the provincial teams).

jm Do you think that its untrue that DOC said that because its on the lions website and not say munsterrugby.ie? Are you now saying that whats on the lions official website is lies??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Lads, this is a stupid argument. Just saying.

Also jm08 have you seen these links?
    Is a video of him saying it sufficient? Or has that been doctored by the evil pro-Lions BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8101084.stm

How about irishrugby.ie?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/15160.php

Do you think that its untrue that DOC said that because its on the lions website and not say munsterrugby.ie? Are you now saying that whats on the lions official website is lies??

The IRFU are partners in the B&I Lions. Its a money making thing for them.

I'd just like to see a Q&A (as I've seen with BOD, POC, ROG & Woody) with DOC where he is asked what was the highlight of his career and it isn't in a situation where he has just been given the captaincy of a team.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lads, this is a stupid argument. Just saying.

your absolutely right Fireball, i just feel like getting an answer direct on this one, i feel "justified" :rolleyes:

I'd just like to see a Q&A (as I've seen with BOD, POC, ROG & Woody) with DOC where he is asked what was the highlight of his career and it isn't in a situation where he has just been given the captaincy of a team.

ill help you move the other goal post when your ready jm, cool?

edit: im now finished on this one, got my weeks full of fudge there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Lads, lads, lads,

Why are you trying to have a genuine argument with this poster? He doesn't believe the things he's saying himself. There's a word for that which I'm not allowed use but f**k's sake, cop on and use the ignore button.

Lads, lads, lads,

Why are you trying to have a genuine argument with this poster? He doesn't believe the things he's saying himself. There's a word for that which I'm not allowed use but f**k's sake, cop on and use the ignore button.

sometimes i enjoy these "conversations". Its like gambling, its all a bit of fun as long as you know when to quit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Lads, lads, lads,

Did that long ago, the forum has been a better place since.

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Fellas, if you get selected for Ireland, it's an incredible honour in that you're being recognised as one of the best players in your country.

However, if you're selected for the Lions it's arguably a greater honour in that you're being recognised as one of the best players in the British Isles.

Plus, once you're an Irish international, what's the next step "up"? There is only one - The Lions. A guy who's selected for the Lions now is usually a seasoned international who would bite your hand off for a chance to represent the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Fellas, if you get selected for Ireland, it's an incredible honour in that you're being recognised as one of the best players in your country.

However, if you're selected for the Lions it's arguably a greater honour in that you're being recognised as one of the best players in the British Isles.

Plus, once you're an Irish international, what's the next step "up"? There is only one - The Lions. A guy who's selected for the Lions now is usually a seasoned international who would bite your hand off for a chance to represent the Lions.

Yeah definitly. Playin for teh Lions is the pinnacles for every player in the British and Irish Isles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement