Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Silly me coming on here to have a read to see if anyone else had commented on the idea of Launchbury being a Lions bolter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bilston wrote: »
    Silly me coming on here to have a read to see if anyone else had commented on the idea of Launchbury being a Lions bolter!

He certainly could be. Haven't seen a massive amount of him tbh but he seems like a quality player. The 6N will decide a lot I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't like Launchbury. He likes cats and I'm more of a dog person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

How many Irish players will make the Lions 15. I predict only 3-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

jm08 wrote: »
    The reason why Heaslip isn't popular in some quarters is because he looks as if he doesn't put any effort in when playing for Ireland (in comparison to the effort he puts in for Leinster). He also said in an interview in the Sindo just before the World Cup that his career high was getting selected for the Lions. (BOD & POC - both former Lions captains - were also interviewed for the same piece and they said winning the Grand Slam was their career highs).

Such a load of crap.

"he looks as if he doesn't put in any effort for Ireland"? Despite the fact that's he's regularly our top tackler.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

Certain - Sexton
    Probable - Kearney, Ferris (if fit), POC (if fit), Bowe (if makes a comeback from injury in time)
    Possible - SOB, BOD, Healy, Heaslip

The possibles are of varying degrees. I don't think Heaslip is going to make the side anymore unless he has a serious upturn in form in the 6N, but you can't rule him out obviously.

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

It's difficult to make predictions when injury or loss of form can destroy a player's chances at any time.

With that caveat in mind, I predict that Kearney, O'Driscoll, Sexton, Healy, Heaslip and O'Brien will start in Brisbane.

Bowe has to have a great chance too if he gets back to 100%. It would be very difficult too for the selectors to ignore a fit and in form Paul O'Connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

danthefan wrote: »

Certain - Sexton
    Probable - Kearney, Ferris (if fit), POC (if fit), Bowe (if makes a comeback from injury in time)
    Possible - SOB, BOD, Healy, Heaslip

The possibles are of varying degrees. I don't think Heaslip is going to make the side anymore unless he has a serious upturn in form in the 6N, but you can't rule him out obviously.

I'd say POC is very unlikely at the moment, the way his injury seems to be going

ed7890 wrote: »
    I'd say POC is very unlikely at the moment, the way his injury seems to be going

Unfortunately I'd say you could be right.

I wouldn't say there are any nailed on starters yet.

But Heaslip, Sexton, Healy, Best, Kearney, SOB and BOD and POC is fit will all be in the mix for the first 15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I think Bowe will be seriously up against it now. His prognosis is to be absent for 4 months which will see him miss the entire 6N and probably a potential HEC QF. The Lions squad is announced in mid-April normally. Basically, if Bowe is selected, it's going to be based upon his past performances. He has arguably been the third best winger in Ulster this season. He had a good game against Argentina but hasn't produced throughout the season near to the extent required where one could say he now deserves to be on the plane already.

For the back wing spots there will probably be only about 4 out and out wingers brought. Cuthbert, North, Visser, Ashton, Zebo, Earls and Gilroy all have lots of time and opportunities to put their hands up and several have done so already this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are there any nailed on starters for the starting XV at all? Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There aren't are there. Sexton and a fit and firing North would be about the only two who would be close to it.

The number of back row options is incredible!

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Kearney? Warburton? Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sexton I think. He has little to no opposition as it stands.

Gatland is never afraid to give young players a chance, so Gilroy has good bolter potential.

Kearney has a lot of competition and hasn't played for months. Warburton will be doing well to hang on to his Welsh starting spot.

We have a few potential bolters too in Gilroy, Henderson and Zebo. Plus I think Murray will make the plane, and maybe even the starting team if he keeps his current form up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    We have a few potential bolters too in Gilroy, Henderson and Zebo. Plus I think Murray will make the plane, and maybe even the starting team if he keeps his current form up
    Zebo is a player that coyld force his way in. Great talent and if hes on form

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Such a load of crap.

"he looks as if he doesn't put in any effort for Ireland"? Despite the fact that's he's regularly our top tackler.

No he is not.

Top Tacklers 2012.

Ireland v Wales:
    SOB: 18/0
    POC: 17/1
    D'Arcy: 15/2
    McFadden: 12/2
    Conor Murray: 11/1
    Heaslip: 11/1

---
    v Italy

Ferris: 12/0
    POC: 10/0
    Heaslip: 7/1

----
    v France
    Ferris: 14/0
    SOB: 13/0
    POC: 12/0
    Sexton: 10/1
    Earls: 8/1
    D'Arcy: 8/2

v. Scotland
    Ferris: 18/0
    Earls: 11/2
    Ryan: 9/0
    POM: 9/1
    Heaslip: 7/0

v England
    Ferris: 11/2
    Ryan: 10/1
    DOC: 7/0
    Heaslip: 7/2
    ---

v NZ
    SOB 23/1
    Heaslip 15/0
    Ryan 11/1
    BOD: 11/2
    POM: 8/0

v. NZ - Pt 2
    Heaslip: 16/1
    Ryan 15/0
    Tuohy: 12/0
    SOB: 11/3
    McLaughlin: 11/2

v. South Africa
    Healy 9/1
    Strauss 7/0
    Earls 7/0
    Henry 6/0
    POM 6/1
    Heaslip 2/0

v. Argentina
    Ryan 9/1
    POM 9/1
    Heaslip 9/0
    Healy 7/0

Heaslip has been our top tackler once in the last year. Players like Ferris & SOB usually make double if not treble the tackles Heaslip makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Halfpenny, O'Brien, Flood/Farrell. There really isn't any nailed on starter which is a good thing for the Lions at this point. There are players that 80% of us would say are in the team but there isn't a POC or BOD or Robinson or Hill or Wood as there were in the last few tours.

• Advertisement

Zebo is a player that coyld force his way in. Great talent and if hes on form

Doubt he has any chance at the test side tbh.

v. Argentina
    Ryan 9/1
    POM 9/1
    Heaslip 9/0
    Healy 7/0

Oh dear, Ryan and POM jump ahead because they both missed a tackle? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

No he is not.

Top Tacklers 2012.

Ireland v Wales:
    SOB: 18/0
    POC: 17/1
    D'Arcy: 15/2
    McFadden: 12/2
    Conor Murray: 11/1
    Heaslip: 11/1

---
    v Italy

Ferris: 12/0
    POC: 10/0

----
    v France
    Ferris: 14/0
    SOB: 13/0
    POC: 12/0
    Sexton: 10/1
    Earls: 8/1
    D'Arcy: 8/2

v. Scotland
    Ferris: 18/0
    Earls: 11/2
    Ryan: 9/0
    POM: 9/1
    Heaslip: 7/0

v England
    Ferris: 11/2
    Ryan: 10/1
    DOC: 7/0
    Heaslip: 7/2
    ---

v NZ
    SOB 23/1
    Heaslip 15/0
    Ryan 11/1
    BOD: 11/2
    POM: 8/0

v. NZ - Pt 2
    Heaslip: 16/1
    Ryan 15/0
    Tuohy: 12/0
    SOB: 11/3
    McLaughlin: 11/2

v. South Africa
    Healy 9/1
    Strauss 7/0
    Earls 7/0
    Henry 6/0
    POM 6/1
    Heaslip 2/0

v. Argentina
    Ryan 9/1
    POM 9/1
    Heaslip 9/0
    Healy 7/0

Heaslip has been our top tackler once in the last year. Players like Ferris & SOB usually make double if not treble the tackles Heaslip makes.

Maths isn't your best subject is it?

leftleg wrote: »
    sometimes i enjoy these "conversations". Its like gambling, its all a bit of fun as long as you know when to quit :D

yeah but the more people that entertain the nonsense on a regular basis means that those of us that have certain posters on ignore still have to read it.

Effectively, you're not beating them, you're joining them.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Oh dear, Ryan and POM jump ahead because they both missed a tackle? :D

May as well include attempted tackles ;) No biggy.

Maths isn't your best subject is it?

Comphrehension isn't one of yours. On at least two occasions someone made more than double the tackles that Heaslip did. On one occasion someone made more than 4 times the tackles made so hopefully you get the picture that as claimed, Heaslip is no where near being "regularly our top tackler".

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

May as well include attempted tackles ;) No biggy.

Well it seems you placed him to suit your own argument. I see DOC is 7/0 and Heaslip 7/2 in the English match yet DOC is ahead of him there. Contradictory no?

JoeyDoh wrote: »
    Well it seems you placed him to suit your own argument. I see DOC is 7/0 and Heaslip 7/2 in the English match yet DOC is ahead of him there. Contradictory no?

And in the French match Earls (8/1) ahead of D'Arcy (8/2)

Jm twisting facts to suit his agenda, who'd a thunk it

Tox56 wrote: »
    And in the French match Earls (8/1) ahead of D'Arcy (8/2)

Jm twisting facts to suit his agenda, who'd a thunk it

No matter what you try to claim, it doesn't hide the 'fact' that according to Fishooks, Heaslip is not one of our Top Tacklers. Looking at those figures, the top tacklers would be Ferris, SOB & POC.

• Advertisement

No matter what you try to claim, it doesn't hide the fact that by Fishooks as 'fact', Heaslip is not one of our Top Taclers. Looking at those figures, the top tacklers would be Ferris, SOB & POC.

tbh, while he may not be consistently the player with the highest amount of tackles, he's always there or there abouts and saying he isn't one of our top tacklers is ridiculous considering the stats you yourself quote . I'm nearly certain though that himself and SOB lead our turnover stats for the six nations.

It all comes back to you claiming he looks like he doesn't try for Ireland. Which you cannot back up, because, as I'm sure you know well yourself, it's bull.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement