Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

jm08 wrote: »
    No matter what you try to claim, it doesn't hide the 'fact' that according to Fishooks, Heaslip is not one of our Top Tacklers. Looking at those figures, the top tacklers would be Ferris, SOB & POC.

Ah yes, the figures that show Heaslip to have been 1st twice, 2nd once, and only out of Top 5 tacklers in the team twice all year. For a player who hardly misses a game due to injury to miss only 6 tackles all year is incredible

But it's quite obvious nothing I do or say will convince you, so think what you want!

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Tox56 wrote: »

Kearney has a lot of competition and hasn't played for months. Warburton will be doing well to hang on to his Welsh starting spot.

Warburton's odds on with the bookies to captain the Lions. Robshaw at 3/1, Drico at 7/1 and Heaslip at 9/1 seem to be the only alternatives with the rest at 20/1 or longer. This suggests that Warburton's virtually a certainty.

And assuming that he comes back from injury okay, Kearney is one of the first names on the Test teamsheet in my view.

And if we're talking about certainties, it's hard to look past one J Sexton...Farrell, Flood etc just aren't credible alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Warburton's odds on with the bookies to captain the Lions. Robshaw at 3/1, Drico at 7/1 and Heaslip at 9/1 seem to be the only alternatives with the rest at 20/1 or longer. This suggests that Warburton's virtually a certainty.

And assuming that he comes back from injury okay, Kearney is one of the first names on the Test teamsheet in my view.

And if we're talking about certainties, it's hard to look past one J Sexton...Farrell, Flood etc just aren't credible alternatives.

Warburton's lucky to be keeping Tipuric out for Wales, his form has completely plummeted. Then add in competition from the likes SOB, Robshaw and even Rennie and Armitage and it's probably the most contested spot. The bookies have been wrong before.

And for Kearney, all I'll say is Halfpenny, who has easily been Wales best player this season.

I think Sexton is the closest to a certainty there is but again you never know what may happen. Wales may win a Grand Slam with Prince Harry brilliant at 10 and all of a sudden he might be 1st choice (not likely, but, hey, you never know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

The bookies got it very wrong four years ago. Ryan Jones was a similarly short price favorite for captain at this stage and he didn't even make the plane

Warburton has been atrocious for both Cardiff and Wales this season. Not to mention he's injury prone and has only played consistently well (and not half as well as some would have you believe) for about 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

23 tackles by SOB in the NZ game. Holy smokes. Good thing he's back eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the figures that show Heaslip to have been 1st twice, 2nd once, and only out of Top 5 tacklers in the team twice all year. For a player who hardly misses a game due to injury to miss only 6 tackles all year is incredible

But it's quite obvious nothing I do or say will convince you, so think what you want!

No the figures that show:

v Wales - 6th top tackler
    v Italy - 3rd
    v France - 7th
    v scotland - 5th
    v England - 3rd
    v NZ - 1st
    v NZ - 1st
    v SA - 11th
    v Argentina - 3rd

You don't expect your inside centre or outhalf to be making more tackles than your No. 8.

Just shows when he puts the shoulder to the wheel how well Ireland can do (i.e, 2nd test v NZ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

No the figures that show:

v Wales - 6th top tackler
    v Italy - 3rd
    v France - 7th
    v scotland - 5th
    v England - 3rd
    v NZ - 1st
    v NZ - 1st
    v SA - 11th
    v Argentina - 3rd

You don't expect your inside centre or outhalf to be making more tackles than your No. 8.

Just shows when he puts the shoulder to the wheel how well Ireland can do (i.e, 2nd test v NZ).

He was joint 5th against Wales, so Tox56 was right. He was level with Murray, so don't rank him below him to suit your agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sexton isn't a certainty but yes he's as close ad there is. Warburton has a lot of competition and Kearney is miles away from being a nailed on Lion at this moment in time.

Of course the bookies can be wrong, but they're rarely wrong. And it's not as if Warburton's the marginal favourite with the others nipping at his heels...he's a massive favourite with the bookies.

I'll be genuinely shocked if (injury aside) Sexton, Kearney, Warburton and O'Driscoll don't start in Brisbane.

Also, jmo8, where are you getting those stats?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Scrum stats don't count a second man in as a tackle, they only credit the first tackler I think. Justin has said the IRFU stats show Heaslip as consistently the top tackler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Scrum stats don't count a second man in as a tackle, they only credit the first tackler I think. Justin has said the IRFU stats show Heaslip as consistently the top tackler.

I think he said consistently top three tacklers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

durkadurka wrote: »
    I think he said consistently top three tacklers.

I'd hate him less if it were top two tacklers tbh.

danthefan wrote: »

Yep if he could just get into the top two and not have a life outside the game he might be tolerated

If you average it out, he is about 4th top tackler in the last year (and that is without Ferris & POC who missed a good few games and are usually in the Top 2 or 3:

----

This is what Fishooks posted what I responded to:
    Originally Posted by Fishooks13
    Such a load of crap.

"he looks as if he doesn't put in any effort for Ireland"? Despite the fact that's he's regularly our top tackler.

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Also, jmo8, where are you getting those stats?

I got them from scrum.com

I think scrum.com does include 2nd tackler - its the kiwi one that doesn't. They also do stats on first to get to breakdown etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yep if he could just get into the top two and not have a life outside the game he might be tolerated

I wish he'd shave those sideburns.

.ak wrote: »
    I wish he'd shave those sideburns.

Maybe pull his socks up half an inch. And get a new car. I have no idea what he drives but I'm sure I'd hate it if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Maybe pull his socks up half an inch. And get a new car. I have no idea what he drives but I'm sure I'd hate it if I did.

Don't forget that he'd have to have smaller earphones.

And different coloured boots .

• Advertisement

And different coloured boots .

Nah Wallace started wearing white boots so they needed new reasons, it turned out white boots were great the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We need a jm08 superthread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

And own a pub rather than a restaurant.

We need a jm08 superthread.

We could call it the JM08 separates the facts from fiction thread ;)

Nah Wallace started wearing white boots so they needed new reasons, it turned out white boots were great the whole time.

Now now! I'm sure you're not implying that the vast majority of Heaslip hate is from Munster supporters :P

All though you'd probably be right, albeit a very small minority of them (same guys who still think ROG is better than Sexton)!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We could call it the JM08 separates the facts from fiction thread ;)

Well there's two words I would switch in the above... :D

nah, rugby fans everywhere would have realised that Wally had earned the right to wear whatever coloured boots he liked.

Well there's two words I would switch in the above... :D

oh, I know Thomond, I know. But you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes.

What exactly has all of this sh1te got to do with the Lions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What exactly has all of this sh1te got to do with the Lions?

Nothing. Welcome to boards.ie, where one particular poster brings every thread down in anti-Leinster flames and no-one has the cop-on to use the ignore button. Frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement