Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd bring him too...but I'd make it clear to him that he has to cut out the messing (e.g. swan dives, one handed carries, carrying the ball on the wrong side, etc).

Some day, and if karma's got anything to do with it on the biggest stage, that guy's f..king around will catch up with him.

I seriously hope the team isn't picked based on feckin' karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

jm08 wrote: »
    I made the point that he seems to put more effort into playing for Leinster than for Ireland. Now you have confirmed that with your quote above - i.e., that the highlight of his year of 2009 was winning the Heineken Cup - the same year he won the Grand Slam. Preferring to play for your province rather than your country was a stick that was used to beat the Munster players with for years (even though they always denied it).

While I'm finished trying to discuss anything with you in terms of Heaslip's onfield play. You really shouldn't be posting crap like that without anything to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If we are gonna discuss Heaslip, can we please keep it on topic; i.e his relationship to the upcoming Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So who are the options at No.8?

Heaslip, O'Brien
    Denton, Brown
    Felatau, Jones
    Morgan, Waldrom

Anyone else?

Clearly some are more likely than others but Id say three of them will go, SOB is a cert given he will also be a contender in all back row positions plus two others. Right now Id bring Heaslip and probably Felatau as he suits Gatlands game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 What The?

Fishooks13 wrote: »

Well it's the fact that jmo8 is claiming that Heaslip doesn't put in much effort when playing with Ireland that grinds my gears. And I know people think this kills the thread, but the sad fact is many people share this odd view that Jamie Heaslip is some sort of glorified winger afraid of hard graft.

He also had a shot at him for saying the Lions tour was the highlight of his career for some reason
    Fair enough, I think it's just more logical that people don't have good reasons for not liking him. The same way as you may not have a good reason for not liking someone in work. This happens a lot and people should be ok and not so offended if their favourite player is not worshipped by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Who's gonna be the Test scrumhalf?

Ben Youngs I would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who's gonna be the Test scrumhalf?

Ben Youngs I would have thought...

Close call, I've always preferred Care but it may depend on who the England 9 is in the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

bilston wrote: »
    Close call, I've always preferred Care but it may depend on who the England 9 is in the 6Ns.

I'd go with this. At the moment it's looking like Youngs though.

My buddies and I have been messing around with picking our Lions Test XV. Fairly pointless of course as who knows what players will be injured or out of favour come June. Anyways, here's the consensus (with guys who came a close second in brackets):

Kearney (unanimous)
    North (Bowe)
    Tuilagi (O'Driscoll)
    O'Driscoll (Roberts)
    Ashton (Cuthbert)
    Sexton (Wilkinson)
    Youngs (Care)
    Heaslip (unanimous)
    Warburton (unanimous)
    O'Brien (Croft)
    O'Connell (Lawes)
    Gray (unanimous)
    Jones (unanimous)
    Best (Hartley)
    Healy (unanimous)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm another in the Care ahead of Youngs camp, can't see why Care was dropped during the AI's. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 Irish hookers in the test squad either.

• Advertisement

My buddies and I have been messing around with picking our Lions Test XV. Fairly pointless of course as who knows what players will be injured or out of favour come June. Anyways, here's the consensus (with guys who came a close second in brackets):

Kearney (unanimous)
    North (Bowe)
    Tuilagi (O'Driscoll)
    O'Driscoll (Roberts)
    Ashton (Cuthbert)
    Sexton (Wilkinson)
    Youngs (Care)
    Heaslip (unanimous)
    Warburton (unanimous)
    O'Brien (Croft)
    O'Connell (unanimous)
    Gray (Lawes)
    Jones (unanimous)
    Best (Hartley)
    Healy (unanimous)

I'm not too sure about O'Driscoll at 12. I'd actually have Davies as the front runner in the centre. I'd also have Ferris/Lydiate at 6 (depending on their fitness and in that order), and SOB/Robshaw at 7. O'Connell unfortunately doesn't look like he'll make it, and Gray has been poor this season (the teams he's in hasn't helped). Don't forget about Launchbury either, who I think will be ahead of Lawes for the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wonder if Bowe isn't back in time for the squad announcement would they bracket him as "subject to fitness" like they did with Wilkinson in 2005?

Deano7788 wrote: »

I'm not too sure about O'Driscoll at 12. I'd actually have Davies as the front runner in the centre. I'd also have Ferris/Lydiate at 6 (depending on their fitness and in that order), and SOB/Robshaw at 7. O'Connell unfortunately doesn't look like he'll make it, and Gray has been poor this season (the teams he's in hasn't helped). Don't forget about Launchbury either, who I think will be ahead of Lawes for the 6 Nations.

Yeah, there are so many possibilities, especially given that we don't know who'll have a good/bad 6 Nations.

Tuilagi seems to be a divisive character. I'd like to see him given a shot. Thing about Drico at 12 is that him and the Darce regularly swap during the course of games.

I wonder if Bowe isn't back in time for the squad announcement would they bracket him as "subject to fitness" like they did with Wilkinson in 2005?

I wouldn't be confident of that; there's a lot of good wingers around so they may not want to take the risk. He hadn't been at his best before the injury either.

Yeah, there are so many possibilities, especially given that we don't know who'll have a good/bad 6 Nations.

Tuilagi seems to be a divisive character. I'd like to see him given a shot. Thing about Drico at 12 is that him and the Darce regularly swap during the course of games.

The problem though is that they've developed that through years of playing together. I don't think it would work in such a short space of time.

I don't want to see Youngs on that plane. Far too inconsistent and not half as good when he performs as Stuart Barnes and co would have you believe.

Danny Care would be my pick. But don't be surprised to see Murray make a real push for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Personally I think Halfpenny will get the nod at full back unless RK has a spectacular 6N.

1/2p might be more suited to the type of game OZ will play, is a long kicking option and is perhaps better at bringing a ball back to the line than Kearney.

Nothing in it though, and Halfpenny would also be a good bench option with RK starting.

Don't think Bowe will/should start either.

My 15 atm would be:

Halfpenny
    North
    BOD
    Davies
    Ashton
    Sexton
    Youngs
    Heaslip
    Tipuric
    SOB/Ferris
    AWJ/POC/Gray
    Hines
    Jones
    Best
    Healy

Personally I think Halfpenny will get the nod at full back unless RK has a spectacular 6N.

1/2p might be more suited to the type of game OZ will play, is a long kicking option and is perhaps better at bringing a ball back to the line than Kearney.

Nothing in it though, and Halfpenny would also be a good bench option with RK starting.

Don't think Bowe will/should start either.

My 15 atm would be:

Halfpenny
    North
    BOD
    Davies
    Ashton
    Sexton
    Youngs
    Heaslip
    Tipuric
    SOB/Ferris
    AWJ/POC/Gray
    Hines
    Jones
    Best
    Healy

He was arguably the form 14 for the AI's. Really showed his class in the South Africa game, first half in paticular. Injury is the only thing holding him back IMO. North hasn't performed anywhere near his WC form and doesn't deserve to be ahead of Bowe

Deano7788 wrote: »

The problem though is that they've developed that through years of playing together. I don't think it would work in such a short space of time.

I don't mean Drico and Tuilagi developing a similar relationship...I just mean that Drico is grand at 12 'cause he does it all the time.

On a related note, the Darce was superb against Argentina to be fair. 5 more performances like that and he'll be on the plane for sure.

Can't see Darcy travelling. He's been solid for Ireland and Leinster but there's far better options at 12 in Roberts, Tualagi, Davies

Tbh I wouldn't even like him to be starting for Ireland come the six nations. McSharry's been playing better rugby

• Advertisement

Can't see Darcy travelling. He's been solid for Ireland and Leinster but there's far better options at 12 in Roberts, Tualagi, Davies

Tbh I wouldn't even like him to be starting for Ireland come the six nations. McSharry's been playing better rugby

He's been poor for quite a while, but he was exceptional against the Argies. Five more performances like that and I can't see Gatland ignoring him. It was vintage Darce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Kearney (unanimous)
    North (Bowe)
    Tuilagi (O'Driscoll)
    O'Driscoll (Roberts)
    Ashton (Cuthbert)
    Sexton (Wilkinson)
    Youngs (Care)
    Heaslip (unanimous)
    Warburton (unanimous)
    O'Brien (Croft)
    O'Connell (Lawes)
    Gray (unanimous)
    Jones (unanimous)
    Best (Hartley)
    Healy (unanimous)

Halfpenny and Kearney could be decided by a flip of a coin (pun intended). Halfpennys goal kicking gives him an edge. Always nice to have a few kickers in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

danthefan wrote: »
    I seriously hope the team isn't picked based on feckin' karma.

Only if Glenn Hoddle is added to the coaching ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Higher wrote: »
    I've always wondered, is there any reason why Heaslip is so hated by Munster fans? Like has there been a specific incident or what?

Higher wrote: »
    Only very small minded people would hold such a grudge. I think its a disservice to the nation to say 'Irish people think'.

Well I think your post on Munster fans hating Heaslip is a disservice to Munster fans. It's probably fair to assume that some may dislike him but I think it's over stating it to say he's hated. But either way that feeling would be by a small minority of true rugby Munster fans.

danthefan wrote: »
    Have you decided to take posting lessons from jm08 or something recently?

:confused: What exactly does this post mean?

The speculation is great craic. The good thing is that pretty much everyone (pundits included) has Irish guys making up at least 1/3 of the Test side.

And with a fair wind, we could have as many as 7 to 9 (e.g. Kearney, Bowe, O'Driscoll, Sexton, Heaslip, O'Brien/Ferris, O'Connell, Best, Healy).

phog wrote: »
    Well I think your post on Munster fans hating Heaslip is a disservice to Munster fans. It's probably fair to assume that some may dislike him but I think it's over stating it to say he's hated. But either way that feeling would be by a small minority of true rugby Munster fans.

:confused: What exactly does this post mean?

Ah stop playing the fool Phog will you, if you've ever read Munsterfans you'll know this ridiculous hatred of Heaslip for little reason is widespread.

Ah stop playing the fool Phog will you, if you've ever read Munsterfans you'll know this ridiculous hatred of Heaslip for little reason is widespread.

It's really not. Most Munster fans aren't that petty to dislike a guy they don't even know.

But there are idiots in every province.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I read MFs on a daily basis and they're a few posters there that act the maggot, there are others that praise him but it's hardly a majority of Munster fans hating him like Higher's OP seemed to imply. BTW, there are a core group of non Munster fans that post there that seem to enjoy goading the clowns for a reaction, maybe so that they can run off and say how terrible that MFs site is. Have you noticed those?

phog wrote: »
    I read MFs on a daily basis and they're a few posters there that act the maggot, there are others that praise him but it's hardly a majority of Munster fans hating him like Higher's OP seemed to imply. BTW, there are a core group of non Munster fans that post there that seem to enjoy goading the clowns for a reaction, maybe so that they can run off and say how terrible that MFs site is. Have you noticed those?

There isn't much goading needed in fairness in that wasteland. I think danthefan is right.

• Advertisement

It's really not. Most Munster fans aren't that petty to dislike a guy they don't even know.

But there are idiots in every province.

I completely disagree with you Fishooks, because from what I read, most are that petty. Though perhaps MF doesn't represent the real Munster fan base, but rather the 'ultra' loonies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement